Author Topic: Gunsmithing resources / how to forge a lock  (Read 4040 times)

Offline AngryBear

• Starting Member
Gunsmithing resources / how to forge a lock
« on: October 23, 2023, 07:53:23 AM »
I’m looking to make my own Scottish style flintlock or snaphaunce style arms, to match the style of guns popular among the… more well to do highlanders during the 1745 uprising. As actual surviving arms of this exact type are rare, at best, and I am a struggling artist blacksmith, I don’t have the option travel to the museums that have pieces, and I can’t afford the cost of a good replica. Does anyone know of any good written sources that outline how some of the locks were forged, or how they might have been forged? I have a pretty good idea, but nothing solid, thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 07:55:44 AM by AngryBear »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Gunsmithing resources
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 02:20:18 PM »
Andover, Vermont

Offline AngryBear

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 08:13:01 AM »
I have seen that post, and it’s amazing work, (that post was why I became a member here) but he re-uses a small silver lock for the cock, frizzen and pan. (Some of the springs too, think.) I want to learn how to make all those pieces. I can infer quite a bit, but I am, like I said, lacking resources. Maybe more specifically, I want to know how big to make the pieces. I cannot find detailed measurements for anything related. I also REALLY want to make a snaphaunce musket, in the style that was popular among the highlanders, but there are so many small parts there that I’m honestly intimidated by it, without an exploded view, with measurements. I suppose I could do what my intellectual ancestors did, and trial and error my way through it, but I’d like to avoid wasting time with attempts that are doomed to failure.
Thanks for all the support, I’m so glad I found this forum
-AB

Online elk killer

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 01:44:47 PM »
Not exactly what your looking for but might be close

upload pic site
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline AngryBear

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 06:26:32 AM »
Not exactly what your looking for but might be close

upload pic site
That is a fascinating set of drawings, I have to say that I’ve never seen a hammer and frizzen utilize the same spring before. Thanks, it does help somewhat, though, not exactly what I’m after.
I know that there’s a book out there about how a smith would make the parts of a flint lock, but I can’t remember the title, and I can’t find it anywhere. All the books about smithing I have found are either basics books (not bad, but after a decade of smithing, I think I’m a bit beyond basic techniques,) or specific to blade smithing (thanks to forged in fire,) beyond that, I am still after what I identified in my original post.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 06:49:22 AM by AngryBear »

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 11:30:28 AM »
More

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 11:36:48 AM »
A nice lock for starting.

Adrie

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 08:04:57 PM »
Superb craftsmanship on an unusual lock and better than anything I can do.
Bob Roller

« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 11:05:56 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline AngryBear

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 07:57:07 AM »
More

Wow, thanks for this; I will definitely be saving these pictures for reference!

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Re: Gunsmithing resources / how to forge a lock
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 01:05:54 PM »
I don't know if this is any help, but I posted in detail how I made a flintlock for a pistol.
Here is a link to the last of six parts. You can find links to the first five parts at the end of part six.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=55741.msg559953#msg559953
Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 01:09:31 PM by Rolf »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 03:20:43 PM »
One of the old Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology books had an excellent piece on forging flintlocks from start to finish with many photos.  It was a write up describing how it is (or was at the time) done at Colonial Williamsburg and it answered a lot of questions for me as I was figuring out how to make my own.  I believe those books have been reprinted - someone here can probably post a link.  I don't remember which of the 5 books it was in, though.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 08:52:10 PM »
One of the old Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology books had an excellent piece on forging flintlocks from start to finish with many photos.  It was a write up describing how it is (or was at the time) done at Colonial Williamsburg and it answered a lot of questions for me as I was figuring out how to make my own.  I believe those books have been reprinted - someone here can probably post a link.  I don't remember which of the 5 books it was in, though.

Number 1, with some additional material in number 5 it appears (I don't own the fifth volume, so I have to rely on the contents list...): https://www.nmlra.org/store/jhat
Dunno who did this pdf, but it is hosted from here: https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/lock_plate_forging_2020.pdf
I also recommend this video: https://www.muzzleloadermagazine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=336

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2023, 02:22:39 PM »
Guys,

Here is a forum topic that shows how to forge a gunlock.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=26825.msg255966#msg255966

Jim
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 06:19:20 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2023, 04:56:47 PM »
Angry Bear,
You really need a snaphaunce, or English lock, or later, even a regular flint lock for your Scottish project.

If you go to this site, do a search for Snaphaunce, or whatever, and see what turns up.
Here is one link.

Best,
Richard.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15824&highlight=snaphaunce

Offline Clint

« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 07:53:32 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline jrb

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2023, 06:01:54 PM »
Mike Miller has a three disc dvd set that shows him forging, filing, drilling, and hardening a Pa. rifle lock from real wrought iron. His ability to keep the pieces square and drill and ream using a steel woodworking brace is pretty mind boggling , to me.

Offline AngryBear

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2023, 04:15:34 PM »
So many great resources, thank you so much, everybody!