Author Topic: How to make a sear spring (cva/jukar/traditions)  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Nbright

• Starting Member
How to make a sear spring (cva/jukar/traditions)
« on: November 11, 2023, 05:46:16 AM »
I ran into a broken sear spring on a .45 jukar percussion pistol. While I do have a traditions one on the way, I figured the true "black powder way" would be to make your own!

Someone on a Facebook group suggested I start with a binder clip... check out the little video below for a step-by-step.

Thought this might should go in tutorials but didn't know how to make that happen.

https://youtu.be/TpcDU7OyBHc?feature=shared

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: How to make a sear spring (cva/jukar/traditions)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 08:31:53 PM »
 Since I found that most sear springs require very little power to do their job, an old clock spring will provide you with a lifetimes worth of raw material, same goes for a recoil spring off of an old lawnmower. If you truly need a stronger spring a tine from an old metal leaf rake works very well. My Jukar pistol has a rake tine sear spring in it, and is a living example of all the different projects I’ve attempted over the years.
 I congratulate you for trying to fix something yourself instead of doing the wallet quick draw.

Hungry Horse

Offline taterbug

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 12:07:48 AM »
I have used leaf rake tines more than once for sear springs too.  Decent material (at least in the older rakes), and the dimensions are not too far off to need too much metal removed. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 12:46:04 AM »
Too flimsy IMHO.The new lock from Chris Evrard has the best one.I saw one in the picture that looked like it was milled and that is my way.I used .187/3/16".
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 12:56:59 AM by Bob Roller »