Author Topic: Cool takedown fowler  (Read 682 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Cool takedown fowler
« on: November 14, 2023, 12:01:45 AM »
I saw this online recently, and thought it was pretty cool.
The way the barrel was done is clever. I guess it needs to be unscrewed for each shot to load with the short ramrod.
I wish there were more than 3 pictures though.

Here's the description from the site.

"16 bore, 36 1/4” part round part octagon barrel with nice reeded medial at the point of transition and a lightly oxidized bore. This interesting fowler was reconverted to flint some time ago and features a neat takedown system so that the arm can be taken asunder into buttstock, lock and forestock, and barrel. The barrel is an attractive mix of deep plum-brown and dark gray patina showing some light handling marks and a bit of old oxidation staining. The breech flats show nice little silver inlays that have taken on a fine tarnish consisting of light foliate motifs and standing figure of a hunter with horn. The lockplate is a more medium gunmetal patina, the cock somewhat loose with a bit more moderate old pitting and a few screws and the pan are replacements. The lockplate shows some light foliate embellishments and features beveled edges with slight step and teat at the rear, unbridled frizzen and frizzen spring with nicely chiseled extension and the trigger with a traditional curlicue. The remaining hardware is of brass with single faceted tailpipe and fancy foliate extension, triggerguard with elaborate foliate finial and scrollwork embellishments along the bow and a solid foliate embellished sideplate, all toning to a mild ocher patina showing some light handling marks and tarnishing. The walnut stock remains in very good condition showing a few scattered small repairs and minor drying cracks, a few old shallow chips around the lockplate and old handling marks. There is light foliate carving behind the breech tang, drop points and other light bordering that shows honest softening from the years. A 13 3/4” hickory ramrod with more modern brass tip is present and the mainspring is rather weak but the lock otherwise seems to function well mechanically. Likely German or French, examples similar to this were pictured and retailed in the Bannerman catalogs of old. A nice example of a peculiar “poacher’s” fowler for the antique arms collector."

Offline Mattox Forge

Re: Cool takedown fowler
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 12:25:02 AM »
Interesting approach. The standard hooked breech is only about 10 inches longer though. It avoids having to disassemble the barrel in order to reload and having to make a complex threaded barrel. I would imagine that is why this is so rare.
Mike

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 12:30:20 AM »
The images didn't come through on my computer, so here's the listing from this weekend's upcoming Amoskeag auction. I did a hand-on inspection of it a couple days ago and found that despite being quite light weight, it was solidly built. It's really a nice example of a takedown reconversion . The barrel easily comes in half and the stock comes away with a quarter turn. The short ramrod works in reloading with the front part of the barrel detached.  The mainspring does seem weak, but this unique firearm functions OK

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 12:56:29 AM »
Here's another one by Parkes of Birmingham. The silver wire was re-done by   Allan Sandy after i had it. I enjoyed taking all the measurements, etc . Ed Rayl has the barrel measurements for recreating the barrel. I've been waiting on one for a few years now ; ?) Not a poacher's gun.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 01:21:43 AM »
These type of guns mostly smoothbore came in both flint and percussion and what is know has a coach gun used by the coach driver and  a gentleman  passenger for self protection . The mail and passenger coaches prefer the blunder buss.
Feltwad

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 02:00:46 AM »
Hi Justin,
Nice and interesting gun.  The dealer's text saying it was a "poacher's" gun is so stupid it is beyond belief.  Poachers probably could not afford a gun so well made and decorated. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 07:25:47 AM »
Quite right Dave!

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 12:06:21 PM »
Images of coach guns
Feltwad