Author Topic: Wheellock loading tool/spanner  (Read 507 times)

Online ajcraig

• Starting Member
Wheellock loading tool/spanner
« on: November 21, 2023, 10:00:09 PM »
A recent listing on Ebay seems to show a wheellock loading tool/spanner, although (i) it is quite small, and (ii) condition seems too good for the age of wheellocks. I have no interest in this item other than my curiosity. Any thoughts on what this is? It does show some nice file work. Cheers, Alex

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155898835643

Offline Daryl

Re: Wheellock loading tool/spanner
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 10:09:11 PM »
That's pretty cool, an adjustable powder measure as well. Not sure what the 2 different sized rectangular holes are for, appears could be a wheellock spanner, but I doubt any maker of those
also included an ADJUSTABLE measure with it. Normally, measures included with guns were for a 'fixed' charge, were they not?
They do not include a picture of the end, with the tube pulled out, but the one picture of the top end, shows a screw into the end of the non-moving part with the stop holes. This will be the base
of the adjustable tube to stop the powder. This is similar to most all modern adjustable powder measures.
It ides have an antique appearance, but then, there are lots of fakes, "out there".

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 10:17:38 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 11:38:20 PM »
If looking for an antique, I'd say buyer beware on that one.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 11:41:42 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Online ajcraig

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 11:50:39 PM »
Agreed re: caveat emptor - it just looks too good for its supposed age.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 12:59:06 AM »
Beware of good modern castings. The Rifle Shoppe, Inc makes many good ones, including wheellock spanners and combination tools like the one ebove. I can’t locate photos on their website, but I’m quite sure I have seen that elaborate model from them before. Check it out before buying one as an antique. That said, as a contemporary item finished up from rough castings, that is not a bad deal in my mind.

Bill Paton
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 06:55:26 AM by Bill Paton »
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com