Author Topic: Multiple flashes in the pan failure to fire  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
Re: Multiple flashes in the pan failure to fire
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2024, 12:30:08 AM »
Find, figure out then use what works for you.
I've never scraped a breech and have had over 100 shot days, on the trail. No wiping, no scraping.
So far for me, this works.

I believe much of it has to do with a person's local climate. The extreme dry here in the mountains makes for an entirely different bore condition as compared to bore condition back in the moister east.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline RichG

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2024, 02:21:10 AM »
Had a similar experience just the other day. After 4 or 5 flashes with out ignition, I pulled the lock and unscrewed the vent liner. Inside the cone of the liner was a ball of very hard crud maybe an 1/8" in diameter. I could see the powder in the barrel. No idea what caused the ball of crud. I think that when picking vent, I was just pushing that ball of crud around. Using a wet patch and not wiping between shots.??????

Offline Daryl

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2024, 09:52:03 PM »
That can only happen if you leave the barrel on the stock and only use patches for cleaning. If you remove the lock, then plug the vent, fill the barrel with water, let it sit a bit, then pull the plug letting the water drain out the vent, then use patches to wipe the bore clean, repeat a couple times, the "crud" will not be able to build up in the inner cone of the vent liner.
Some of us remove the barrel for cleaning whether it is attached with pins or wedges and stick the breech end in water, then pump water in and out with a tight patch on the jag. That way, "crud" can never build in the vent.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2024, 09:54:41 PM »
Find, figure out then use what works for you.
I've never scraped a breech and have had over 100 shot days, on the trail. No wiping, no scraping.
So far for me, this works.

I believe much of it has to do with a person's local climate. The extreme dry here in the mountains makes for an entirely different bore condition as compared to bore condition back in the moister east.

What I noted above, covers shooting year around here in PG & Smithers(mountains) where the average humidity is 50%, Vancouver on the coast 80% or Williams Lake(central interior - arid) 7%. No difference in fouling when using the ball, patch and lube combinations we use. The humidity apparently has nothing to do with fouling under those circumstances. If you have trouble in dry conditions, look at your ball and patch combinations. Lube & the amount of it also matters.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 10:02:15 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V