Author Topic: Gun Oil  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Jerry

Gun Oil
« on: November 28, 2023, 02:54:02 PM »
What is a good lubricant for lock internals? Thanks, Jerry

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Gun Oil
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »
Hi,
Barricade works well and ordinary NAPA silicone grease.  Grease those things that slide, oil those things that rotate. However, don't put lubricant on heavily and wipe off excess so it does not eventually soak into the wood in the mortise and soften it.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Matt48

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 04:31:18 PM »
Hi,
Barricade works well and ordinary NAPA silicone grease.  Grease those things that slide, oil those things that rotate. However, don't put lubricant on heavily and wipe off excess so it does not eventually soak into the wood in the mortise and soften it.

dave

Hi Dave,

I was planing on putting grease (RIG) on the underside of my barrel to have some protection against rust (I don't want to separate the barrel from the stock each time I clean the gun).

Do you think that would soak into the wood and soften it as you wrote in your post?

Matt

Offline wibper

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 04:44:40 PM »
.... Grease those things that slide, oil those things that rotate. ....
Best description of proper lubrication I've ever seen.

One thing to keep in mind about muzzleloader locks is they're exposed to black powder residue, and excess lube will absorb and collect that, and you certainly don't want that hanging around in your lock works.  Keep those locks clean as well as properly lubed!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 05:51:10 PM »
Synthetic motor oil.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline gusd

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 06:26:59 PM »
What Mr. Brooks said.
Gus

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 07:04:13 PM »
I’ll add that we have found a high load molybdenum sulfide bearing grease such as Krytox to be VERY beneficial in high load areas such as where the mainspring rides on the tumbler.  Not cheap, but very good.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 08:01:47 PM »
Mobil 1 oil for things that rotate, Mobil 1 grease for things that slide. One purchase of each and your great grandchildren will have enough for their great grandchildren.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 08:50:14 PM »
I also use moly.  I have moly paste that was marketed for bore prep back when we moly coated bullets.  It works really well on high pressure sliding surfaces. 

Oil?  Mostly ATF.  For some things ATF with Lanolin melted in it.  For rust preventions, LPS-3 when I can find it, Fluid Film also.  Any modern oil is fine.  I do not use lard and olive oil. 

Offline TDM

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 09:18:39 PM »
Whichever lock lube you choose, use it sparingly.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 09:37:54 PM »
I’ll add that we have found a high load molybdenum sulfide bearing grease such as Krytox to be VERY beneficial in high load areas such as where the mainspring rides on the tumbler.  Not cheap, but very good.

I lubricate my locks once a year (if they meed it) with a moly grease I bought many years ago. It is in a plastic tub with the name Lyman Super moly.
I use the Lyman Super Moly spray lube on my moulds to prevent lead sticking and as a release coating. I also use the spray on bullets I cast for my air rifles.
There is tape on the cap, as I split the cap 10 or 12 years ago. I use a narrow screw driver for applying the moly lube to the locks. It does not wash off
in the water as I tooth-brush off the fouling when cleaning up after shooting.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 10:19:48 PM »
I have been using wd40 on rotating parts, mostly because I douse the lock with it after drying to get the water out of the books and crannies. However, this seems to lead to too much oil that I can't seem to get all of it out despite the number of q tips I use and then have oil in my lock mortise post shooting.

So I recommend NOT doing that.

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 11:40:29 PM »
Any quality gun lubricant
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Jerry

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2023, 03:03:39 PM »
Many thanks for all the good answers! I do like the idea of a synthetic oil. Is the moly being used the black kind? Thanks, Jerry

Offline wibper

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2023, 04:47:53 PM »
.... However, this seems to lead to too much oil that I can't seem to get all of it out despite the number of q tips I use and then have oil in my lock mortise post shooting. ...
I use canned air to blow it out.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2023, 08:52:55 PM »
Many thanks for all the good answers! I do like the idea of a synthetic oil. Is the moly being used the black kind? Thanks, Jerry
Yes - all moly greases are black that I've seen. It does a really good job, Jerry and doesn't flush off with water, or my WD40 spraying after washing and drying.
I suppose if you purposely tried to remove it with WD40 spraying, you could succeed.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 01:26:47 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Dave Peelgren

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2023, 07:20:05 PM »
STP

Offline wmrike

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2023, 07:29:33 PM »
So, what is it about a lock that requires synthetic oil?  Is it the heat and filth, or maybe the interval between changes?  Seriously.

Myself, I prefer a water-resistant silicone-based grease.

Offline taterbug

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2023, 07:54:46 PM »
i think it less about the requirements of the lock, and more about what you DO NOT want to get into the wood. 

Petroleum products+wood fibers= not a good combination over time. 

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2023, 08:02:34 PM »
I've been using RIG grease on the sliding parts, but it seems a little thin and doesn't seem to stay put very well. I also have some white lithium grease that's for bicycles that is thicker, but I'm not sure it would be better.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2023, 10:00:52 PM »
Moly grease stays. That is also the grease used on the springs in "Springer" air rifles.
Daryl

Offline wibper

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2023, 12:55:15 AM »
So, what is it about a lock that requires synthetic oil?  ....
I don't think it's a matter of "requires" because there was no such thing as synthetic oil back in the day.  Maybe it's just a case of what works better in modern times than back then?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2023, 03:02:41 AM »
Petroleum oil is known to saturate wood and soften/weaken it. Perhaps this "long time experience" with it, is simply lacking with synthetics.
Daryl

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2023, 07:33:57 AM »
What about sperm whale oil? Or if all else fails try some snake oil.

Offline TDM

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2023, 08:03:40 AM »
Hi,

dave

Hi Dave,

I was planing on putting grease (RIG) on the underside of my barrel to have some protection against rust (I don't want to separate the barrel from the stock each time I clean the gun).

Do you think that would soak into the wood and soften it as you wrote in your post?

Matt

Since you haven’t heard back yet, I do use a very light film of RIG on the underside of pinned barrels. Just a light finger coat. I also use Renaissance wax on the barrel channel, but any decent wood wax will do. This works good for me.