Author Topic: Long Rifle marked for "John Simpson"  (Read 1393 times)

Offline OldScholAntiques

• Starting Member
Long Rifle marked for "John Simpson"
« on: January 02, 2024, 07:15:56 PM »
I'd appreciate any help or advice regarding what I understand to be a Kentucky or Pennsylvania "Long Rifle" with a Double Set Trigger. I'll begin by saying that it does not belong to me, but I've been sent photos by the owner. I'm in the UK, and a Long Rifle is not something I come across very often.

Aside from the photos, I can only add what I have discovered for myself, some of which may not be correct. The overall length of the rifle is around 61 inches, with the barrel roughly 45 inches. It has the typical octagonal, small bore barrel, probably somewhere between .45 and .50 inch, which has been 'blued'. It is currently fitted with a caplock percussion mechanism, but is this original? Given the length of the barrel, could this be an older rifle that has been "modernised" at some time, replacing an earlier flintlock mechanism? There are certainly signs of work around the barrel, where the percussion cap is fitted, and damage to the fore-stock that might suggest so.

The stock itself appears to be in much better condition than the rest of the rifle, and probably a replacement The brasswork certainly seems to be unmarked, which seems unlikely for a rifle which otherwise looks to be at least c1850, if not older.

There are some marks on the metalwork, including what looks to be a shield-shaped emblem on the trigger guard. The vestiges of some engraving is just discernible on the lockplate, including what looks to be a standing figure, together with some foliate engraving (or possibly a monogram?) to the rear of the cockscrew mount. There is a simple pinstripe border. Towards the front of the plate is something indistinguishable which may be purely decorative. The name "John Simpson" is engraved into a rectangular brass plate, inset into the top of the barrel - original owner's name or gunsmith?

Any thoughts on how old this might be, how original, and perhaps where it was made ... gratefully received.

Offline AZshot

Re: Long Rifle marked for "John Simpson"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 07:26:24 PM »
To me it looks like a restocked rifle made on an older barrel and lock.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 08:18:40 PM »
I agree with AZshot.
John Robbins

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 08:36:23 PM »
 I think it's relatively old  maybe early 1900s, but has been recently refinished.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 03:48:16 AM »
Brass trigger guard screws - interesting. Looks like a fairly modern re-stock, to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldScholAntiques

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 02:04:21 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful comments, mostly reinforcing my own beliefs about the rifle.

Do you think the "John Simpson" is the original owner or the gunsmith?

Does anyone recognise the shield emblem on the trigger guard?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 05:53:40 PM »
Looks like a gun that was seen for years in a local pawn shop.A $10 bill would have bought it.One of my best friends was John Simpson who
was a radio personality here for years but he also had a a law degree and was a judge in Ashland Ky for 12 years.I tend to agree with Daryl on this one.
Bob Roller

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 09:12:32 PM »
If it's a restock, it was shot a lot after restocking, as evidenced by the wood erosion by the drum.  I'm going with a later gun (agreeing with Mike) that was refinished.
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 10:18:33 PM »
Those triggers. They look modern to me.Anyone else have an opinion on these?
Bob Roller

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 06:13:32 PM »
Bob,
Those triggers are cast modern ones as far as I can see.
Lot of the rifle is old, but been through the works more recently I reckon.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 07:08:54 PM »
Those triggers. They look modern to me.Anyone else have an opinion on these?
Bob Roller
I believe the gun was a product of the 1920's or 30's
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?