Author Topic: 1770's English Officer's Fusil Build  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Mgray

• Starting Member
1770's English Officer's Fusil Build
« on: January 04, 2024, 03:25:33 AM »
Hello Folks,

I know many of you have been looking forward to updates about my work in the shop and I am now home on winter break and in between semesters! I have spent a lot of time working in the shop during my break and I have gotten a lot of work done in the process. I am currently working on two projects: a 1756 Long Land Pattern King's Musket and a 1770s English Officer's Fusil which is the focus of this thread. As Dave's (smartdog) apprentice I will be following in his footsteps and this thread will be about the building process of this fusil.

I am a history major so of course this thread will come with a history lesson. I apologize for those who wish to just see my work and where I'm at but you are all going to have to deal with and read through it.

Now an English Officer's fusil was a longarm privately purchased by a British officer. It was not something that was government issued such as the King's muskets were. They first became popular in F&I in warfare in the colonies for officers to protect themselves in the wooded terrain by carrying a longarm. They might also use it to hunt for themselves and the company. Sometimes regimental colonels would purchase a batch of them for the officers in the regiment via a private contractor. The alternative was the officer would independently go out and find a private maker and commission a fusil from them. There were makers who were popular with officers because their prices were modest which was reflected in the quality of the work. A few of these makers include Jover, Wilson and Richards. These makers made many officers fusils and an officer might have commissioned them or they might have bought examples off the rack. The fusil that an officer owned might not have always been carried by that officer. For example while in the West Indies or while serving in Europe the officer might not have carried the fusil despite having carried it in service in North America.
It was not universally excepted for officers to carry a longarm. For example, George Augustus and his younger brother, William Howe promoted officers carrying longarms. In contrast, Lord Cornwallis and Sir Henry Clinton did not promote or believe in officers carrying longarms. They believed it was an Officer's duty to lead the men and not be shooting. 

What constitutes an officers fusil is somewhat ambiguous. That is partly because there was no standard issued pattern. It ran the gamut from a civilian Fowler or sporting gun cut back for a bayonet and mounted with sling swivels to a much more robust gun such as a scaled down version of the King's Musket. The universal feature would have likely been mounting for a full size bayonet, sling swivels and a bore corresponding to a full size musket (.75 caliber) or a smaller carbine bore (.66 caliber). There are surviving examples of officer's fusils that were rifled. Often there is misidentifying of guns as officers fusils that are likely sporting guns brought by an officer. There is also mislabeling that happens when a piece is found with martial motif engraving and the assumption is made it was an officers fusil. 

This fusil I am building is an example of a finely made Officer's Fusil. It would not have been a cheap purchase and would have been purchased by an officer with means. The lock is a Griffin lock I am building with parts cast from Kevin Blackley. It will be stocked in English walnut and mounted in brass with civilian (hunting) motif engraving. The barrel will be of spanish form (octagon to round, 2/5 octagon, 3/5 round), 39" and rifled.

I hope you will all enjoy following along with this project as much as I enjoy working on it. I will shortly get to updates on the work I am doing so those of you who wish to not suffer through a history lesson can skip to the pictures.

Happy New Year!
-Maria

Offline Dave Marsh

Re: 1770's English Officer's Fusil Build
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 04:07:03 AM »
Looking forward to it.  Might even look at the pictures.   :) ;)
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 04:44:14 AM »
Hello and thanks for the history lesson. I knew some of those facts but didn't know many others so it is interesting for me. I will be following this build for sure and thank you for your documentation efforts. Happy new year.

Online flatsguide

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 08:03:40 AM »
Looking forward to the build and the history lessons.
Cheers Richard

Offline mountainman

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 03:52:00 PM »
Happy New Years to you! I will be looking forward to this thread as well!

Offline John Proud

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 06:38:14 PM »
Looking forward to your project posts.

Offline TDM

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 07:19:51 PM »
Looking forward to photos. Best of luck.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 07:27:02 PM »
Enterprising young lady. Well done - great report and history lesson. Thanks.
A VERY Happy New Year to you, too.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 06:47:25 AM »
Welcome Maria,
You are truly blessed, David is one of the best!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 09:07:23 PM »
Maria,
YOUR interest in this type of hobby and willingness to learn how to use tools and use them well is more than a common "Good thing".
I had no one to show me much of anything but an old WW1 veteran,George Killen showed me how to make springs and years later I was able to give him high quality steel to make them from.YOU have a teacher of uncommon capability and YOU have the uncommon interest in learning skills long ago made obsolete by the industrial revolution.Like Dave,I also have a too pretty to be real young woman I have helped with her teaching WW2 as a history teacher in NC.Her interest has made us friends now since July 8 of 2018.She now owns my collection of books pertaining to that sorry era from 1933-1945.Her name is Amanda K.
Bob Roller (Former lock and trigger maker).

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 01:31:08 AM »
A very nice post Bob. I concur wholeheartedly. 8)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 02:54:10 AM »
Looking forward to this build!

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 05:11:43 AM »
 please dont keep us waiting too long. ;) and a very happy new year.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2024, 05:18:53 AM »
Hi,
This thread will unfold slowly.  Maria will post building the lock but then she is back to school until spring.  She will update it as she can.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 02:24:37 AM »
Wonderful !   The only question I have, is the documentation re the caliber /bore size of the common Officer's long arm. My research has me draw the conclusion that a bore of .62 to .69 was often used .