Author Topic: Guns for sale  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Beaverman

Re: Guns for sale
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2024, 04:25:43 AM »
Artists can’t retire. It’s against nature.
Approaching two years with out a finished gun. Feels pretty good. But that kind of money looks pretty good too!

Don't take on any consignments, build at your own pace that way there is no pressure!

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2024, 03:13:38 PM »
I don’t know For me I love creating things. I always have, and suppose always will. I would love to get back into painting and Dulcimer and Scheitholt building. I need to be cloned to do everything that I really want to do. Its maddening.
I think though that without the spirit, doing something endlessly that you don’t love doing sucks your life away. There are way too many “ professionals” I know that don’t seem to care and keep trudging along in their rut.
That’s sad.
Doing what you love doing is a great thing and most people don’t do that, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 03:20:07 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2024, 06:57:43 PM »
Artists can’t retire. It’s against nature.
Approaching two years with out a finished gun. Feels pretty good. But that kind of money looks pretty good too!

Don't take on any consignments, build at your own pace that way there is no pressure!
It appears my own pace is something less than 1 gun every two years. ;D I have a couple guns that need to be done for april.
 I shoot a lot now. I didn't get to do much of  that once I started fulltime gun work in '96. I shoot lots of black powder, but I don't own a muzzleloader....go figure.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2024, 05:41:39 PM »
Now I need to sort through my barrel pile
 I'm seeing  Getz barrels are bringing $400. Is there something special about Getz barrels I'm unaware of?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2024, 06:10:38 PM »
I dunno Mike.
My two Don Getz barrels always seemed top flight. High finish in the bores and didn't need anything.
Shine like glass.
If others are as good that is good, but they seemed better than the other breeds I got ten-twenty years ago.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2024, 07:02:21 PM »
I dunno Mike.
My two Don Getz barrels always seemed top flight. High finish in the bores and didn't need anything.
Shine like glass.
If others are as good that is good, but they seemed better than the other breeds I got ten-twenty years ago.
All depends on how old they are I guess. The last ones I received needed work before I could use them, hardly  a deal.....

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2024, 10:11:53 PM »
They would sell higher if they were attached, say, to one of your stocks with all the fixins😉

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2024, 10:58:03 PM »
We've all heard that "if you're job is doing something you enjoy that brings you satisfaction and that You'd do as a hobby, you'll never work a day in your life".

When I had to retire from my "job" it hit me hard.  My job was my identity and who I was.  I was good at what I did, loved it, and had a great deal of influence on many others.  I think that it's much like that for most gifted artistic craftsmen/artists including gun builders.

Mike, keep building, not to cater to "customers" but to satisfy yourself and to do how and what you like.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2024, 05:04:53 AM »
We've all heard that "if you're job is doing something you enjoy that brings you satisfaction and that You'd do as a hobby, you'll never work a day in your life".

When I had to retire from my "job" it hit me hard.  My job was my identity and who I was.  I was good at what I did, loved it, and had a great deal of influence on many others.  I think that it's much like that for most gifted artistic craftsmen/artists including gun builders.

Mike, keep building, not to cater to "customers" but to satisfy yourself and to do how and what you like.
A very good friend closed his recording studio this summer I had sent some gear wanting- calling to know were to ship in the discussion his said he lost his identity-  is this this is some catch term ? I do know one thing his identity is being a great friend , good human not what he did !
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2024, 05:08:19 PM »
Strikes me that "identity" is:

The way others see you.

The way you see yourself.

Most likely one can lose their self identity quickly based on life changes.  If Mr. Brooks finds meaning and value outside of making guns that weighs more than that which he found making guns then it's not a difficult decision to stop.  Things that motivate "artists" are complex IMO.  What is not complex is looking forward to today and the happiness it can bring, making guns or making music or listening to the birds sing.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2024, 06:16:49 PM »
Interesting conversation. I quit building for a variety of reasons. About 2015 I started to deal with a lot of pain from arthritis and inflammation. There were days I couldn't handle tools
 By 2017 my left shoulder quit working and I had it repaired,  more or less. My lower back and hips have arthritis and bursitis. So, building guns in pain just wasn't fun anymore.
 Also, during all those years of building full-time  I just couldn't justify taking the time to go shooting. Hunting or fishing as I always had "THE LIST" to take care of. I got to the point I really resented " THE LIST". I haven't made a gun in exactly two years now and don't miss it, although I have plans to make more than several more in the future.
 I do have artistic interests.  I now cook. It is as satisfying as making guns, believe it or not. I make the best traditional Mexican food you could ever eat. For better than anything you'll find in any high end Mexican restaurant.
 I also do a lot of shooting and loading for archaic BPCRs, very satisfying getting these old guns up and running.
 So, I haven't forgot who I am, I'm actually expanding my interests and doing things all of you have always had time to do while I always had to work.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2024, 08:27:26 PM »
While not quite as "broken up" at Mikey, I find peace and contentment just sitting and watching the water and boaters. Now and then I climb into my little red boat and go catch some trout
or char. The lake extends 58 miles length to the West. This is just a 2 1/2 mile bay at the East end.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2024, 11:12:53 PM »
Going down in history as ‘Mike Brooks, taco chef’
Eat Beef

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2024, 11:18:24 PM »
 ;D It could be worse!

Offline snapper

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2024, 01:34:52 AM »
Well, heck.  You are close enough for me to invite myself over for some Mexican food!  I would bring the wine and or cerveza.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2024, 02:42:46 AM »
Well, heck.  You are close enough for me to invite myself over for some Mexican food!  I would bring the wine and or cerveza.

Fleener
We'll do it this summer and do some fishing in the same trip. My wife actually likes you so you're good to go!

Offline snapper

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2024, 02:44:28 AM »
I will hold you to it.

I think the only reason she likes me is that she has never met me.....

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2024, 06:13:23 AM »
I will hold you to it.

I think the only reason she likes me is that she has never met me.....

Fleener
Hmmmm. Well, you better be on your best behavior then. She liked Wayne real well so there's the bar you have to clear. :P

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2024, 08:08:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure at this point the fellas and me would sign up for your Friendship taco making class.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2024, 01:34:09 PM »
 ;D

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2024, 03:34:51 PM »
I can't retire! Having too much fun. Buying a major property tomorrow. A shark has to keep moving to get water through his gills or will die. I will be 81 this year in October. LandShark Bill!
People either survive in the Jungle, or exist in the Zoo. Few recognize the significance of the paradoxical reconciliation of the two. It takes a rare individual who understands how cunning and aggressive one has to be to acquire an Estate in the Jungle.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2024, 05:18:41 AM »
Mike, how about your best chicken enchilada recipe?  Hard to find good Mexican food in small town Wyoming.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2024, 06:44:22 PM »
   Mike just do what you want...I gave up that working for a living at 60.
Money really doesn't buy happiness... Besides if I was working I wasn't fishing...lol

Offline Daryl

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2024, 04:32:34 AM »
1 1/2 hours fishing - best tasting trout in B.C. WAYY better than any trout in the USA ( unless you have lakes well over 200feet deep).
These are so sweet.
May is almost here & back to the lake.

The smaller char are really good eating too.

3 1/2 pound foot ball of a rainbow.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:35:38 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V