Author Topic: Request ID assistance  (Read 747 times)

Offline Padawan

• Starting Member
Request ID assistance
« on: January 15, 2024, 02:50:46 AM »
Good day ladies and gentlemen,
I was wondering if anyone could help with identifying my father's firearm, sadly he is past the point I can ask him about it.  I know very little about rifles so please forgive my ignorance. 

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Request ID assistance
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 06:03:05 AM »
These later 1850s-1860s half-stocked rifles, without decorative details that often show the maker's hand, are rather similar and difficult to identify. I cannot see any maker's name or initials on the top barrel flat several inches behind the rear sight, but please check that area again "just in case" and if anything is there, post a good, clear picture of it. Even if worn or partial, we may be able to figure it out.

The gun has a curved "fish belly" lower butt line, often associated with guns from Ohio and Indiana, but seen in other areas to a lesser degree. The longer two-screw [actually a tang bolt and rear tail screw] tang is most often associated with guns made below the Ohio River. The rather long cheekpiece is a little odd for the Midwest, at times seen on New York guns but also other places. So your gun has a good mix of details that makes it tough to pin down.

If I were to give it a SWAG answer, based on the mixed details, I'd think southern Ohio may be the most likely origin.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Padawan

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 06:55:04 AM »
Shelby, that's great info, 100% more than I knew earlier today :). I will go check the top flat again.  Thanks so much for the quick reply.
Sincerely,
Kent

Offline Padawan

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 07:11:45 AM »
Still not seeing anything on the barrel. But I did find a stamp on the ramrod that I missed earlier: “REVERE BRONZE 330”

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 07:08:49 PM »
The pentagonal bore is interesting but I have no idea as to state.Ohio is a good place to start until positive proof is offered.Any makers name
on the lock.THAT will probably identify the lock maker.This is NOT a low end or junk gun and and shows good workmanship.Run the rod down the barrel as far as possible to see if there is a long forgotten load snoozing there,
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 07:14:30 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 07:07:33 AM »
Another state your rifle may be from is Michigan. We don't often see or think about Michigan guns. But a number of New York gunmakers migrated to Michigan, bringing NY details with them, such as the "fish belly" curve in the lower butt line and longer than expected cheekpiece. We used to have Jim Kelly of Michigan visit this site from time to time, and he was an expert on Michigan guns, but I haven't seen his name pop up here in a long time.

Shelby Gallien