Author Topic: New like finish question.  (Read 615 times)

Offline Swampyankee

• Starting Member
New like finish question.
« on: January 24, 2024, 06:47:20 PM »
  Coming to the end of phase one, final stock shaping, and now time to muse upon the finish. A lot of info on antiquing the finish but I'm going for the fresh, just out of the shop look.
 In light of this, what finish was used and if unavailable what substitute will work?

Offline JLayne

Re: New like finish question.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 08:13:27 PM »
Aqua fortis for color and your favorite oil finish. I like Chambers Oil. I originally used Tried n True  Varnish Oil, but found it dried too slowly for my liking and wasn’t as durable as the Chambers Oil.

For good instruction on how to use the Aqua fortis, look up the videos posted by Jim Kibler on YouTube.

Jay

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 08:21:31 PM »
Tung or Danish oil with tung oil is good. So is the oil Chambers sells. I've always likes true oil, rubbed back somewhat with pumice of rotten stone,
but others don't like it, I've read.
After the initial coat 'dries'/hardens' for a good 48 hours, then I like to get a new coat on once a day. Both tung and True oil allow this.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline taterbug

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 12:57:31 AM »
this is on that older Investarms kit you're working on?  That wood may not show up much figure with aqua fortis, some of those were fairly plain-grained (straight-grained) woods like beech.  Definitely try it out in an inconspicuous area first to get an idea.

It won't look bad, but may disappoint you a bit if you're expecting something more.  There are ways to get 'faux' figure, if you want to get creative.  Search on here, and other places, will show options.  It might not be a tiger-striped maple stock, but can be a bit more interesting.

Offline Swampyankee

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 02:42:33 AM »
 The kit was bought just this year and actually the grain in the wood is surprisingly interesting. Esp. on the cheek piece. I don't suppose a color match to the new originals is possible, then again being a European wood it most likely won't give the same results. Esp. if using a clear oil as opposed to stain.

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 04:13:31 AM »
Years ago, I rebuilt a Great Plains Rifle by Lyman belonging to my old friend Brian Dancey.  The stock was some kind of Euro walnut like wood, so I used Fiebing's Leather Dyes to stain the wood, mostly dark brown and a little red.  Here's how it turned out.  Finished with Circa 1850 Tung Oil.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Swampyankee

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 06:18:52 AM »
That's the look.