Author Topic: A question about "chunk" shooting.  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Kurt

A question about "chunk" shooting.
« on: January 31, 2024, 09:59:03 PM »
I was reading about these competitions and how a practice group is shot that may be low, left/right, etc, and then a target for score is placed, approximately centered, under the practice group, and a single shot is made on several different targets for a total score.  My question is, why aren't these guns grouping to point of aim, but instead grouping low/high, left/right, etc, or do most and I have the wrong impression? Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 10:45:37 PM by Kurt »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: A question about "chunk" shooting.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 10:09:40 PM »
If your rifle shot to point of aim you would obliviate or enlarge your point of aim. Aim SMALL MISS SMALL

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 10:12:51 PM »
You will want your for score target posted behind your practice target, X centered in the center of your practice target's group.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 11:15:16 PM »
Your Bud, or aim-point is placed so that the centre of the "group" your gun will fire, lands on the cross of the chunk target's X. One shot only is made per "scoring" target.
I suppose the "aiming point or "bud" could be placed over the X, but passing through 2 pieces of paper might not be in your best interest due to the hole generated might not perfectly reflect
the actual 'edges' of the hole the ball makes.
Passing through 2 pieces of paper might not make a "clean" or "distinct" hole.
A chunk match is measured by string measure, from the centre of each hole, to the centre of the X. The string measurements of each hole are added up - for a total out of 10(I think) shots.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 11:37:24 PM »
For two good places to look for information: Muzzle Blast magazine March 2020 had an article: "Chunk Gun, Texas Style". If you don't have your back issues simply call the N.M.L.R.A. and they can send you an issue. Also if you go on the web and type in Alvin York Shoot there you can find the rules and regulations. You might also web search Chunk gun shoots and see what is out there. As to your question (and I am by no means an expert on the subject) you will be given a "sight-in" target that you shoot at to find the exact center of your grouping today. Then one at a time you place your scoring target behind the practice target centering the bullseye of the scoring target where the center of your practice grouped showed it. Shoot and repeat the procedure until all of your scoring targets have been shot.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 01:38:10 AM »
In NMLRA matches not all chunk matches are one shot per target. iIRC match 240 is a three ( 3 ) shot target.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 01:47:15 AM »
Thanks for the correction. What I don't know about these  shoots will fill volumes of books. They are literally unknown out here in the far pacific n.w.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 06:21:01 PM »
The NMLRA has a lot of information on their website, but this is a great article about the fundamentals:

https://www.muzzleblasts.com/Library.MBO/V3N2.MBO/Articles.V3N2.MBO/A1.V3N2.MBO.shtml#:~:text=Muzzle%20Blasts%20Online-,.,-..for%20the%20muzzleloading

Offline Kurt

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 09:17:14 PM »
Very informative replies. Thank you all. The Muzzleblast article is very informative. The issue I asked about I think relies on the requirement of fixed open sights, and as the article states the wind and lighting conditions create the issue I originally could not get. I watched several videos depicting these shoots and many are small and have somewhat liberal rules as they use benches, aperture sights, and shorter ranges.  I remember when muzzleloader shoots were common in my area about 50 years ago. WOW! That long ago! Thanks again.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 07:55:47 PM »
They were shot prone over a chunk or from a “plank rest”. We used to use the plank rest  for “turkey” matches at Cody WY.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 07:59:37 PM »
Had to restart this thing the get it to post images.

If shooters have problems with getting to and from prone or is winter these work great.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 08:03:49 PM »
We always shot one shot per target string measure. Shooting more than one can cause issues with scoring.

This was my sighter for one match that I left up and stapled score targets over it. 60 yards plank rest with my “chunk” rifle about 10(?) years ago.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 08:05:18 PM »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 02:06:03 AM »
That's the target we use for the Fort George Plank Shoot at Hefley Creek Rendezvous.(B.C. Rendezvous)

Daryl

Offline Kurt

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2024, 01:13:08 AM »
I like the turkey target. There used to be muzzleloader shoots around here 40 years ago, but the interest in the flintlock hunting season has waned and the shoots disappeared.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2024, 11:04:02 PM »
I have this print.

Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2024, 03:48:34 PM »
 I went to shoot the SGT York shoot a few years back. I had shot a few Chunk Gun shoots at a small club before that. What impressed me the most at the York shoot, was the variety of spotter targets. Some were rather large. I asked a regular at the shoot the whys and wherefore of this.
He told me that you want to see the spotter clearly. You don't want to make a new one for every shoot so that is why the guns are sighted to shoot low, like a foot low.
You are using open iron sights, and even though shaders are allowed, the conditions from day-to-day change. During the practice relay you aim at the spotter to see where you are grouping. During the match, you place the actual target centered on that group. Since you are only shooting one target at a time, you can make adjustments to where you place your target. Having a rifle that shoots tight groups at 60 yards is paramount.
Aiming at the same spotter every time you shoot gives confidence in your set up.
Chunk gun matches are specialized, and you would not use a dedicated chunk gun for anything else.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2024, 08:16:12 PM »
I can certainly see that, alacran. My match rifle shoots a "chunk".(of lead)
Used to be my moose rifle, but I don't hunt moose, any more, so it has to
be my match rifle, but it's sighted to hit centre.
Daryl