Author Topic: Need help identifying this gun  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
Need help identifying this gun
« on: February 05, 2024, 01:04:49 AM »
I have this old gun the only markings on it is H.D. Dwight
It's in 56 cal and is missing the lock I was told it is a flintlock converted to percussion just looking for any information on H.d.dwight or on the gun

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Need help identifying this gun
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 01:16:44 AM »
More close up pictures would help. Both sides look f buttstock. Lock and side plate closeups. View of breech and tang and signature from above.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 01:34:24 AM »
OK thanks not at home right now but will get better photos it's missing the lockplate but has the nipple barrel and nipple but I was told that they thought that originally it was a flintlock that has been converted into a percussion

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 07:28:09 AM »
It looks like you probably have a cherry half-stocked New England rifle, but I am not familiar with the "H.D. Dwight" name. It may be early enough with the full patchbox to be a late flint, but we really need to see more details, including the back side of the rifle to see how many lock bolt holes are there.

Shelby Gallien 

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 10:24:45 AM »
Sellers” book lists H D Dwight in Belchertown, MASS 1845-1850 Percussion half stock. Gardner and Herr say 1847.
Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline OLUT

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 05:42:37 PM »
A bit more info on Harrison Dunbar Dwight. He spent his entire life in Belchertown, Mass. He died on his 72nd birthday on 13 July 1878. He is listed as a gunsmith in the 1850 and 1855 census, but by 1860 had become a farmer

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 08:35:58 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs it's more information than I could have hoped for and here's some more photos

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 08:47:36 PM »
Probably not the best photos you can't really see but it has wood running from the brass end cap underneath the ramrod all the way up to the end of the barrel thanks again for all your information it's muchly appreciated now just need to find a lockplate and hammer  for it

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 11:08:44 PM »
That was never a flintlock. There would have been a notch cut into the wood behind the hammer to clear the stop on a flint cock. A lot of new England guns had a wooder under rib and were stocked in cherry.
Ed Hamberg

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 06:13:24 PM »
Thanks I've got a new lockplate and hammer ordered from track of the wolf for percussion guns sent them some photos along with measurements and they helped me find what they think is  the closest one for this gun still a cool old gun and I'm glad to have it

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 03:31:18 AM »
So the lockplate I ordered from track of the wolf didn't work now I probably need a good gun smith that can fabricate me one anyone know of one or have any ideas

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 05:50:11 AM »
A good restorationist can find an original percussion lock very close to your mortise size, and tweak it to fit your gun. It's easy for those guys to move the cutout for the percussion drum to a modified location to fit your rifle, and your rifle will have better value if you use an original lock, slightly modified, to fill the mortise, rather than a new one that will always stand out as a major alteration to the rifle.

It's awkward to recommend anyone to do the work unless we know where you live. It's a lot easier to do this kind of repair if within driving distance so you can meet face-to-face to discuss the work to be done, get good recommendations and feedback from the gunsmith, discuss any issues you may not have been aware of, etc., and agree to what will or will not be done, plus get the price "ballparked" so there's no surprises when done. And it sure beats packing, insuring, and shipping a gun back and forth, with the risk of damage, loss, etc.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 06:41:30 AM »
Thanks Shelby good advice and I have checked around me in Southern Utah as of yet no luck the gunsmith here will even work on  muzzleloaders but all keep looking

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2024, 09:09:44 AM »
Ed... geeeze, you picked an out-of-the-way place to call home and find old muzzle loaders.

Shelby Gallien

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 04:24:02 PM »
Jack Brooks is a top restorer of longrifles in Colorado.

Michael Briggs
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 07:29:52 PM »
Shelby you are right but I'm a native to here and have a love for old guns
Michael thanks for the information on Jack have found alot of information on him and he sounds like the one I need but can't find any contact information for him the one link from this site has been taken down any help would be appreciated

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2024, 07:38:27 PM »
Ed, I just sent you a PM with Jacks contact info.
John
John Robbins

Offline Ed

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2024, 08:03:56 PM »
Thanks JTR I will try and make contact with him I'm thinking he can get me sorted out Thanks again