Author Topic: I got my Barber English pistol today. Some interesting features.  (Read 666 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

I got my Barber English pistol today. Some interesting features.
« on: February 08, 2024, 04:03:37 AM »
So, some of you may remember that I scored this guy in an online auction a while back. I finally got it in my hands today, and started taking it apart and looking at it. It looks like all the springs are in good shape, and some blue still visible on the mainspring.  Unfortunately, the safety was broken on the inside of the lock. The underside of the barrel has nice colour and is marked Stubbs.  The set trigger wasn't setting, but I think it is just crusty. The trigger is pretty interesting and very well made.  The breech is soaking in oil tonight, and I'll try unbreeching it tomorrow.  Overall,  it all seems in nice shape for like 230 years old.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 04:15:16 AM by Justin Urbantas »

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: I got my Barber English pistol today. Some interesting features.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 06:37:30 AM »
It looks a genuine piece Justin. 
Before you rush into it, I would suggest not debreeching it.
Not a lot to be gained and we see lots  scarred up from attempts to pull the plug.

It looks a nice lock!

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 09:21:28 AM »
My thoughts about debreeching it was to get a good inspection of the breech area, cleaning/polishing and if I need to get it rebored or lined, I'd need the plug out. The lock is really nice, but looking at the tumbler, the fly is missing and the notches are a little beat up. The pin holding the triggerguard in was a real pain to get out. Interestingly,  there was no tang bolt. Only a wood screw, and the whole trigger assembly was held in place by the triggerguard on top of it. No screws or bolts securing it.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 11:02:12 AM »
Question  Is the lock part of the pistol  or has it been made to fit with the rest of  the pistol the lock inlet says no

Feltwad

Offline Niall

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 01:25:43 PM »
Question  Is the lock part of the pistol  or has it been made to fit with the rest of  the pistol the lock inlet says no

Feltwad

I'm not seeing that ???? Looks good to me :)

How's the nose of the sear....I'd say it's suffering a bit too. Just as well the set trigger is not functioning or it might have caused the sear to catch  in the half cock bent :o...Not too hard to fit a fly...most of the work is done
Looking at the rear of the barrel to the touchhole would suggest the plug is only 1/2"+......It's enough but I'd agree with Richard. ;)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 04:44:01 PM »
Making that style of "fly" is done by drilling the correct size hole in the material used to make it and the removing everything that doesn't look like a :fly:.Both notches in the tumbler are bad.I am surprised by the condition of the wood and it is good looking in spite of the rusted lock.
Bob Roller

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 10:08:08 PM »
I am afraid  there are too  many faults with this pistol  for a Barber pistol of the 1760,s

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 10:59:17 PM »
I am afraid  there are too  many faults with this pistol  for a Barber pistol of the 1760,s

1760s?? This is most likely an Isaac Barber (not Barbar) of Nottinghamshire.
Newark, Sherwood area c1800. He was on his own til very early 19th century 1804 and then partnered with someone til the 1820s.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 01:44:44 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 12:26:08 AM »
What faults,  Feltwad? I thought it was more 1790s

Offline Niall

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 12:41:48 AM »

I think we already trashed this out in your original post ;https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=79241.msg781159#msg781159

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 12:34:46 PM »
/quote]
It is plain for the eye to see the workmanship for barber is not  there the   stock is plain like  a cheap restock , lock inletting  is crude  and the barrel is not signed could be any pistol barrel..it is not my intensions to find fault but things  like this happen to often which are not true too the heritage  of  a original  Sorry
Feltwad
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:56:57 PM by Feltwad »