Author Topic: Sprigfield 1816?  (Read 601 times)

Offline AJJELLY80

• Starting Member
Sprigfield 1816?
« on: February 13, 2024, 11:14:25 PM »
Hi all.  I'm hoping some of you guys can help me.  I've been given a flint lock rifle and have been  told is a 1835 .69-caliber rile.   It's been fire damaged at some point in its life.  I looks like at one point it would have had a sling swivel in front of the trigger guard.  This must have been lost as there's a modern looking nut in there at the moment.  Just below the firing mechanism there is D 35 stamped in to the metal and just over from that what looks like a number 1.  I've added some images for you to see.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Sprigfield 1816?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 12:00:53 AM »
It's a smoothbored musket, not a rifle. What do you want to know about it?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline AJJELLY80

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 08:42:40 AM »
Thank you for your reply. 

It would be good to get an idea on the type of musket and any other information I can find.  I've been looking on a lot of sites to try and do some research.  I just wanted to ask people in the know directly.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 02:49:59 PM »
It is not a Springfield Armory produced flint musket. The finger ridges on the rear strap of the trigger-guard are a European feature.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline AJJELLY80

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 08:45:11 PM »
Thanks for the information 👍 😀

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 05:20:39 AM »
Its probably a Napoleonic period French musket. Tens of thousands of them were imported after 1815. Since you are apparently new to this...under US law every male citizen from the ages to 18 to (I think) 45 was required to have a musket suitable for militia service. When the Napoleonic wars ended and Europe was awash with surplus arms literally shiploads of French and French-style muskets were imported to satisfy that demand.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 05:28:49 AM »
Its probably a Napoleonic period French musket. Tens of thousands of them were imported after 1815. Since you are apparently new to this...under US law every male citizen from the ages to 18 to (I think) 45 was required to have a musket suitable for militia service. When the Napoleonic wars ended and Europe was awash with surplus arms literally shiploads of French and French-style muskets were imported to satisfy that demand.
This might be the first I’ve heard of this.
Psalms 144

Offline AJJELLY80

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 07:06:33 AM »
Yes I'm very very new at this.  That gives me a hole new area to research, thank you