Author Topic: British military gun  (Read 687 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
British military gun
« on: February 21, 2024, 08:43:24 PM »
A Trooper with the 82AA brought this back from Afghanistan. I do not know anything about British military arms but told him I would find out what I could. It is in rough shape but appears to be functional with a bore about .625 with no rifling at the muzzle. Any information I can pass along to him would be very much appreciated by both of us.

That is all the markings I could find, hope it helps.
Robby

molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Bigmon

Re: British military gun
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 08:59:16 PM »
Looks like some kind of Enfield.  Probably from the Kyber Pass?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 09:06:42 PM »
Hi Robby,
It looks to be parts from a 3-band model 1853 Enfield rifled musket that were restocked by someone less skilled than workers at Enfield.  After the Indian Mutiny in 1857, the British bored out the rifling of muskets issued to Indian troops so the 0.577 caliber rifle could become close to a 20 gauge smooth bore.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 09:44:17 PM »
Sure does.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 09:56:56 PM »
Wow, that was fast, thank you very much!!!!! Do the markings have any significance?
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 05:56:10 PM »
Only thing I can add, is it has Birmingham inspection marks, and Ezre Millward supplied a great many barrels to ordnance for the P'53. and many for its predecessors.
This one, (I see no date) may have been made as a smooth bore after the Mutiny, or possibly converted as Dave says.
Without digging out my books, I Think John Cook was the  setter up.
There should be proofs on top left of the breech.

Offline Niall

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 07:40:38 PM »

This one, (I see no date) may have been made as a smooth bore after the Mutiny, or possibly converted as Dave says.
Without digging out my books, I Think John Cook was the  setter up.

It's got a ladder sight so probably was originally rifled. The bands are the earlier P'53 type with the retaining springs. I can't see any date on the lock but there should be one???

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 08:21:33 PM »
It is very hard to see but I think it is 1853. Thank you all!!!!
Robby
molon labe

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 04:56:52 PM »
Good morning Niall,

Trust all is well.
You make a good point about the adjustable rear sight!
Yes, it would be rifled originally.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 04:58:30 PM »
The FIRST muzzle loader I ever owned was an Enfield short rifle with a 25" barrel and I bought it for $20 from a pawn shop in 1951 or 52.
It was in fine condition.I have since owned several full length rifles with 39" barrels that were good shooters and got better when Bill Large started making barrels for them.Bigmon may be right about the Khyber Pass and the reason for reboring is very interesting.This is an interesting relic from a time and Empire that have long ago faded away.
Bob Roller