Author Topic: Walter Cline's Famous Rifle, Long Tom  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Karl

• Starting Member
Walter Cline's Famous Rifle, Long Tom
« on: February 26, 2024, 07:44:52 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to Walter Cline's rifle that he named Long Tom?   I've heard that it was used by Gary Cooper in filming Sgt. York in 1941.  But I've never seen pictures of this rifle.  It was made by a master builder from the old school.

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Walter Cline's Famous Rifle, Long Tom
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 05:43:41 AM »
I believe it was destroyed  by Gary Cooper (Sargent York ) In the movie . Kline said it was for a good cause or something to that effect.   If I 'm recalling this correctly .  Jim
JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 07:34:42 AM »
I wonder if any of the guys here collect old movie guns?
I have one from the Sgt. York movie that was shown in the shooting match scene, held by, I think, Clem Bevans.
John
John Robbins

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 04:48:20 PM »
Must have been in the"lightning strike" scene. I remember the rifle laying on the ground with the barrel all bent back. Would think they would have used a rubber prop gun or something.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 08:31:26 PM »
John,

There was an individual that passed recently who was connected to the movie industry, he had a substantial collection. I can't remember his name but was one of the elite from the KRA. Made a big fuss several years back at the end of the annual meeting and all but singled out several people for nefarious behavior. He had some high end items some if which was acquired from Hollywood - somebody here will know who I'm talking about. I had some info on the SGT. York Rifle in a book Howard Dean published, unfortunately that book went with my Beyer Rifle I sold some years back.

Buck 

Offline okieboy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 10:15:35 PM »
 Buck, what book are you referring to?
Okieboy

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 05:20:38 PM »
This it? Sold at auction awhile ago

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 07:49:50 PM by Ky-Flinter »
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 02:24:02 AM »

Not even close. Long Tom is long gone.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 07:50:40 PM by Ky-Flinter »
JIM

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 03:30:38 AM »
Buck,
Do you mean Walt O’Conner of KRA who had the jaeger swivel rifle from “Unconquered” and "The Big Sky”? It went at Morphy’s auction several years ago.
Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline AZshot

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 07:14:16 PM »
The OP is referring to Walter Cline who wrote "The Muzzle Loading Rifle - Then and Now."  He was a founder of the KRA, and shooter and photographer in Chattanooga in the 1920s-1940s.

Offline Buck

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 08:06:12 PM »
Bill,

Yes Walt O'Connor. Memory isn't as sharp as it used to be with names.

Okieboy,

AZshot hit it on the head, "The Muzzle Loading Rifle Then and Now".

Buck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2024, 02:28:01 AM »
AZshot, I believe Mr. Cline passed away about twenty years before the K.R.A. was formed. Here is a picture of Long Tom from the cover of Mr. Clines book

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 02:39:52 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline AZshot

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2024, 04:17:03 PM »
I think you're right on the timing of the actual club forming in the 60s.  I think I was mixing up the groups, he was an early member #5 to the NMLRA.  It's 2nd President from 1934-1939.

I think it's also great that Walter Cline’s widow provided the funds in his memory for the recently-formed National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association to buy the land for its range in Friendship, Indiana,  named the Walter Cline Range.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 04:24:38 PM by AZshot »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2024, 06:07:45 PM »
Must have been in the"lightning strike" scene. I remember the rifle laying on the ground with the barrel all bent back. Would think they would have used a rubber prop gun or something.

In THAT time frame,a muzzle loader of any kind was of little cash value. Gary Cooper was a big name back in the "day"and every time I hear or see his name I think of the $2018 sale of an extra short wheel base Duesenberg he owned and it sold for $22 MILLION$$.20 for the car
and 2 for a "buyers fee".I remember seeing nice long rifles and half stock rifles in antique stores all over this area for under $20.
Bob Roller

Offline tooguns

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 05:35:18 PM »

Not even close. Long Tom is long gone.

I'm confused are we discussing the rifle used by Gary Cooper?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 07:55:57 PM by Ky-Flinter »
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline tooguns

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2024, 05:46:32 PM »
Ok I get it, The rifle used by Gary Cooper is not Walter Cline's Long Tom

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2024, 05:49:35 PM »
Does anyone know what the rifle pictured above sold for?

John Robbins

Offline tooguns

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2024, 05:58:11 PM »

LOT #100:
GARY COOPER'S FAMOUS KENTUCKY RIFLE FROM THE MOTION PICTURE SERGEANT YORK.
All > Firearms > Prop Guns
RETURN TO CATALOG
This lot is closed for bidding. Bidding ended on 9/26/2018
In 1941, as America entered another World War, Warner Bros. produced one of the most famous and lovable Gary Cooper films ever made. Probably made to boost enthusiasm among new soldiers, this motion picture was based on the real life of World War I Medal of Honor winner Sergeant Alvin York of Tennessee. The all-star cast included Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Joan Leslie, George Tobias, Dickie Moore and Ward Bond. The early parts of the movie relate York's conversion to Christianity to his position as a conscientious objector then onto France, where his heroics for the taking of a machine gun nest and 128 prisoners was awarded the Medal of Honor. The real Sergeant York served as a supervisor on set. It is a heartwarming film that has been seen and remembered by millions. The offered rifle has been completely photo documented to being the very weapon that he used in the famous Turkey Shoot. Top of the barrel is marked "WB" for Warner Bros. with an inventory number of 89601. Several copies of movie stills accompany this rifle, showing the unique patchbox and 1862 Springfield action on this custom movie prop made rifle. The rifle itself features a custom 52" heavy octagon barrel in .44 caliber percussion. Lockplate is an 1862 US Springfield Civil War type. Has a custom stained hardwood stock with distinctive homemade copper facsimile patchbox. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire the very rifle that Gary Cooper used in one of his most famous roles. Along with movie stills, this gun is accompanied by articles on Sergeant York and a biography of Gary Cooper.
Minimum Bid:   $1,000.00
Final prices include buyers premium:   $10,800.00
Estimate:   $2,000 - $4,000
Number Bids:

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2024, 07:16:52 PM »
All I can figure is there must have been two rifles. Long Tom was flint and the prop gun he shot was percusion. Maybe it was eaiser to shoot  the percusion in the shooting scenes. The following is from Mr. Clines book inside dust jacket.

For those who might care.
I found this while looking through Walter Clines book. It is his description of " Long Tom "  54-inch barrel, caliber 42, full-length black walnut stock, weight 20 pounds,seven grooves, pitchone-half turn in 48 inches. Will shoot center at 60 yards. Made by Enoch Hardin.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 07:54:42 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 02:44:47 AM »
It seems like the fancy PA rifle referred to as "Long Tom" on the cover of Cline's book was a "substitute" rifle to make the cover look better... usually called "artistic license" when it's not quite what it's purported to be. The last posted description of the real Enoch Hardin "Long Tom" rifle describes a typical Tennessee log rifle... and none of Enoch Hardin's rifles ever looked like the soft-combed, fancy patchbox type rifle used on the book's cover shot.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 04:05:17 AM by Tanselman »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2024, 04:12:26 AM »
I think something is rotten in Denmark, or should I say Hollywood. I just watched the movie about Sargeant York up to when he went into the army. The only rifle I could make out was the prop gun tooguns posted the picture of. Granted I hit fast foreward through anything  without a rifle picturedand could of missed something. The rifle in the lighting scene was the prop gun. I also skimmed through Mr. Clines book looking for referances to " Long Tom '. I did find one where he said he sold his collection along with his beloved " Long Tom'. Sooooooooo maybe it's still out there.

Shelby I agree The rifle pictured on the cover is not one of Enoch Hardins.
JIM

Offline Buck

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 04:50:03 AM »
Then the rifle on the cover must be a Haga Rifle!   ??? ::)