Author Topic: Don't See Many of These  (Read 1123 times)

Offline okieboy

Don't See Many of These
« on: February 26, 2024, 10:25:53 PM »
 Scrolling a site that sells a lot of stuff when I came across a flint lock with notch for a drum! It is a Golcher by the way.

Okieboy

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Don't See Many of These
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 11:35:21 PM »
For that one, I would say it's an original percussion lock, with a flint cock added to it.
There are flintlocks that were converted to percussion that way, with a cap striker clamped in the flint lock jaws.
John

Okieboy, I sent you a PM.
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 12:30:46 AM »
For that one, I would say it's an original percussion lock, with a flint cock added to it.
There are flintlocks that were converted to percussion that way, with a cap striker clamped in the flint lock jaws.
John

Okieboy, I sent you a PM.
Agreed
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online bluenoser

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 12:47:05 AM »
Not that it matters but that crude looking hammer is 1/4 turn off - if it fits at all.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 01:13:32 AM »
Here's a T. Ketland conversion I have. I just need a gun for it!
John

John Robbins

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 03:13:43 AM »
Love that Ketland conversion. I've always thought that if I ever built a percussion gun it would be with a lock like that!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 04:09:17 AM »
Love that Ketland conversion. I've always thought that if I ever built a percussion gun it would be with a lock like that!

I agree. I think it would make a good looking gun!
John Robbins

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 06:13:40 AM »
John,

It's nice to see the Ketland lock with its original chisel-cut "V" slots in the cock screw and top jaw screw, along with the expected tapered end on the top jaw screw. Just in case you weren't aware, most early Bluegrass guns from central Kentucky... where I collect from... used small "T. Ketland" locks just like this one, usually about 4-1/4" long. So John, why don't you measure the length of this neat little lock and post it, and when you get tired of not finding a gun to put it on [probably since most that would use it are in my gun safe], why don't you pass it along to me? Just a thought.

Shelby Gallien

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 07:25:54 AM »
Well Shelby, that would be a good thought, but my lock measures about 5 1/4" long.....
Are you sure you didn't mean 5 1/4 instead of 4 1/4?
Regretfully, John
John Robbins

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 07:37:11 AM »
John,

Well, that's a monster compared to what they used on better Bluegrass rifles in Kentucky... about 4-1/2" at the longest. Thanks for measuring it. But you still have a really neat lock that needs to be on something.

Shelby

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 03:43:44 AM »
I've had half a dozen flint locks converted that way. It wasn't common but it's not rare either, especially in New England.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2024, 03:03:36 AM »
 In California Thats as close to a flintlock as we usually get, I’ve seen dozens converted like that, and many not that well executed.

Hungry Horse