Author Topic: Got This 2 Percussion Long Guns  (Read 1195 times)

Offline bornintheussr

• Starting Member
Got This 2 Percussion Long Guns
« on: February 27, 2024, 06:51:22 PM »
making my first baby steps in collecting muzzleloaders
got this 2 rifles at the auction but not sure what they are

.32 cal

Offline bornintheussr

• Starting Member
Re: Got This 2 Percussion Long Guns
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 06:52:42 PM »
.50 cal

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 12:26:32 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and will be easily corrected on my guesses. The top one looks South Carolina to me and the bottom looks possibly Maryland? The old gun experts will probably be able to pin them down better than me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bornintheussr

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 07:17:38 AM »
very interesting anybody else can comment on this guns?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 06:41:25 PM »
I have a gun by W.H. Brown that has twin cheek rests similar to the one on your gun. Although they are positioned a little farther back on the stock than the ones shown. Mine could have been built in Pittsburgh Penn. or Lakeport Calif. he worked in both places. By the way my gun has several German silver inlays, and an extensive wear plate on the forearm.

Hungry Horse

Offline bornintheussr

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 09:35:19 PM »
I paid $400 for pair so no big deal if I lost my $$

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 07:28:58 AM »
You did very well. They are both old rifles and even if it isn't readily apparent who made them or where there are many here who would gladly pay that for the two of them.

Offline bornintheussr

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 07:01:21 AM »
thank you

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 07:37:07 AM »
Since no one else has asked, I'll ask the easy question... did you check the top flat on each barrel, several inches behind the rear sight, to see if there is any maker's name, initials, or even a trace of a mark? It could be engraved or stamped into the barrel, and could be first initial and last name, or perhaps just two initials. If anything is on either gun, please let us know.

In reviewing your rifles, my thoughts are:

1. half-stocked rifle - I think this rifle is from the Midwest, i.e., Ohio, Indiana, Illinois area, and probably southern parts of those states close to the Ohio River. I would have thrown Kentucky unto the mix, but the gun's short tang "kinda" rules it out. The "different" shaped lock bolt washer like an unside-down umbrella was used by a couple Indiana gunmakers, and perhaps more importantly, the "square shoulder" on the guard where the rear spur runs straight up, rather than curving up, to meet the guard's rear extension, is most often found on guns from near the Ohio River on both north and south sides. So... I'm guessing a Midwest rifle until someone comes up with something better.

2. full-stocked rifle - the gun has a distinctive guard with smaller bow and a longer, extended grip rail behind the bow. The gun also has a very low comb. Those details were used in Bedford County, PA and then moved into the next couple counties west of Bedford. I'd think the box is nice enough that someone will eventually identify it after doing a little research, and it will be from western PA.

Shelby Gallien 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 08:23:26 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 05:35:48 PM »
very interesting anybody else can comment on this guns?

Your $400 investment was a good one.When we consider what $400 will NOT buy now.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 12:46:27 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline bornintheussr

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 09:21:07 AM »
Thank you for your expertise Tanselman. I will pick this rifles from auction house on the way to Baltimore Antique show and will carefully inspect it.
I enlarged this pictures and what I see is T Davidson Cincinnati stamped on the lock of the first rifle.
As for the second rifle I was really hoping it could be one of Susquehanna rifles. I have a cottage located on the bank of this great river and it would definitely melt my heart to get a rifle associating with this river