Author Topic: ID: French Flntlock Pistol  (Read 940 times)

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
ID: French Flntlock Pistol
« on: March 04, 2024, 07:43:16 PM »
Got it at an auction. The only info was that it is French. Info you can tell me would be much appreciated!
It does have a great spark. Have not tried to shoot it. No proof marks I can tell.

21" long
13" Smoothbore .50 cal (about)
Barrel looks good. stock is solid

I found a display case at Goodwill, mahogany, cheap!

image hosting
People either survive in the Jungle, or exist in the Zoo. Few recognize the significance of the paradoxical reconciliation of the two. It takes a rare individual who understands how cunning and aggressive one has to be to acquire an Estate in the Jungle.

Offline ntqlvr1948

Re: ID: French Flntlock Pistol
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 07:55:25 PM »
Without a maker's name it probably be impossible to tell, as there were so many good makers during the 18th century. It probably dates to before 1750

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 09:42:19 PM »
Hi,
The chisel work on the brass hardware is very primitive.  This is definitely not the product of a high-end European shop.  The lock and barrel may be Italian from the late 17th or early 18th century.  The stock could be from some provincial Italian shop.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 02:04:34 AM »
It strikes me as dutch or belgian. Definately not french.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 01:31:05 AM »
I’m no expert. Something seems “off” to me with this pistol. Firstly that it’s a very crudely embellished pistol. And the mating of metal to wood is not at all uniform; check the exceptionally tight fit of the thumb piece and then the gaps in the stock at the butt cap stirrups- Way different.  🫣
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:42:22 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 06:09:36 AM »
Hi,
The chisel work on the brass hardware is very primitive.  This is definitely not the product of a high-end European shop.  The lock and barrel may be Italian from the late 17th or early 18th century.  The stock could be from some provincial Italian shop.

dave

What about the engraving on the lock and cock?
People either survive in the Jungle, or exist in the Zoo. Few recognize the significance of the paradoxical reconciliation of the two. It takes a rare individual who understands how cunning and aggressive one has to be to acquire an Estate in the Jungle.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 06:15:42 AM »

What about the engraving on the lock and cock?

Likely engraved by the lock maker.
John Robbins

Offline Niall

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 12:55:30 PM »
I don't think the lock started off with the rest of this pistol. It's a good bit older, and better quality...most of it anyway...the frizzen is a replacement. This might be generically described as a 'Balkans' pistol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:00:49 PM by Niall »

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 03:34:25 PM »
It does seem to me that it has changed since it was made. Certainly the lock is much different than the carving.

I like the post that it could be 1750s. Thank for the post that it could be Belgian or Dutch. The auction house usually sells furniture and their guess it is French, I expect was a guess than knowledgeable!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 05:01:05 PM »
The lock still says last quarter of the 1600's to me, up to 1700 I think at latest.

Rest of the gun newer, but barrel reminds me of some good early Italian models.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 10:17:59 PM »
It's common to see these rather primitive European made pistols.  These are typically referred to as being for the "Eastern Market".