Author Topic: Newcomer Rifles  (Read 547 times)

Offline Born200years2late

• Starting Member
Newcomer Rifles
« on: March 07, 2024, 05:30:07 AM »
Does anyone know what rifles exist which are attributed to or believed to have come from John Newcomer (died 1782)?
Does someone have some images of some. A few have been posted in the past but most of the links are broken on the threads. I’ve seen a few reproductions, but I’d love to see some originals so I can get an idea of what the scope of his work looked like to get some ideas- it’s hard to tell from just looking at repros what comes from him and what’s modern interpretive/artistic license.

I’m aware at least 2 are in the RCA books but I’m having trouble accessing those at the moment and am not quite ready to buy both books just to hunt down work from a single gunmaker.

Any images, lists, or pointers would be super helpful! Thanks so much!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Newcomer Rifles
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 08:40:07 AM »
To my knowledge, off the top of my head (someone correct me if I'm wrong), two signed and one unsigned but now attributed (the piece that used to be called the 'Bullard' rifle).  Interesting work, all.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline backsplash75

Re: Newcomer Rifles
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 03:53:11 PM »
this was the "Bullard"

https://emuseum.history.org/objects/31405/rifle-in-the-american-style?ctx=75ccaed282e919da7306f1ca9d32e531e2fde1bd&idx=0

also see "Lancaster Long Rifle..." by Hornberger & Kolar for another gun. Newcomer is a great example of a talented maker who worked in different styles, and we have good info on his dates  and etc.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 04:01:31 PM by backsplash75 »