Author Topic: Black Powder Shooting  (Read 1979 times)

Offline 83nubnEC

Black Powder Shooting
« on: March 07, 2024, 08:15:59 PM »
Anyone have any ideas as to the use of Vaseline as rust protection on the bottom of a rifle barrel? Seems if it offers rust protection, it would put a better protection layer on the metal than a film of oil!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Black Powder Shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 10:28:20 PM »
If you do not remove ALL of the Vaseline before you shoot the rifle, the fouling and Vaseline will turn into concrete and be all but impossible to remove.  Black Powder and petroleum based fluids don't play well together.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 10:50:34 PM »
The OP is talking of a rust preventive coating on the bottom flats of the barrel, seems to me.
If used inside the bore, it should still work, as it is a petroleum WAX (according to the late Bill Knight), not oil & as thus, when mixed with beeswax, it also makes a terrific bullet lube.(not patch lube)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 11:10:02 PM »
Long ago I used Vaseline in a homebrew mixture for use as bullet lube on minie bullets.  Vaseline is pretty good stuff for a lot of things.  For rust prevention use it might work just fine; I never tried it.  For protecting the bottom barrel flats in the stock I always used Rig Grease or Johnson Paste Wax.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline 83nubnEC

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 02:45:04 AM »
Thanks for all the information. It was the outside of the barrel in the stock channel that I was asking about, not as a lube. Although as a lube mix Vaseline may also work.

Offline Bill in Md

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 02:56:28 AM »
Beeswax
The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.

Offline poppy

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 04:59:51 AM »
I have used vaseline to coat my muzzleloader bores for years. A thin coat on it stays put especially when guns are stood up. I have never had a problem or never had any rust. I do use cold water which is important. After drying bore, I use lighter fluid on a patch to help get any graphite out. Then I use vaseline with a light coat and small dab on the end of the patch preferably a flat face jag not a cupped one.                 chris popp

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 06:23:36 AM »
Although a heat gun is not traditional it works to warm barrel bottom applying beeswax corse brown paper bag to remove excessive build up . Oils , Crisco , Vaseline , tacky grease & such is really not good medicine - pretty much like using WD 40 - trust me I know .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 02:30:12 PM »
None of the antique guns that I have had apart had any rust preventative on the bottom. It would take 20 life times to rust away the bottom
of a barrel to the point it's dangerous.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hawg

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 05:11:16 PM »
If you do not remove ALL of the Vaseline before you shoot the rifle, the fouling and Vaseline will turn into concrete and be all but impossible to remove.  Black Powder and petroleum based fluids don't play well together.

Petroleum products are usually bad juju in black powder bores. It's the more refined products that are bad. Stuff like Vaseline and paraffin are less refined and work pretty well.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 02:03:47 AM »
Vaseline and paraffin are waxes, not petroleum oils. The oils do not mix with BP at all.
The waxes do.
Daryl

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 02:53:22 PM »
None of the antique guns that I have had apart had any rust preventative on the bottom. It would take 20 life times to rust away the bottom
of a barrel to the point it's dangerous.
No portion in the original post is any mention of rust compromising the integrity of the barrel , OP is clearly concerned a segment of the firearm not exposed to visual inspection with out some disassembly of firearm . In my subjective opinion this is a viable question that deserves a respectable answer . I also will state Although not in this group - many members on this board have not disassembled a firearm 150+ years .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline 83nubnEC

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 08:02:58 PM »
Thank you , MR Browning :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 08:27:50 PM »
Barbie Chambers noted here, some time ago about a rifle that came into the shop. The barrel had never been removed for cleaning and the barrel's lower surface showed deep pitting from rust.
I assume the OP was concerned about this very thing. While it might not "rust through" in 20 lifetimes, that isn't the point. The point is a badly rusted barrel and how to prevent that.
Rig is what I would use.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2024, 09:49:01 PM »
Normally the bottom flats of the barrel are the very last thing I think about protecting against rust.  But throw in "hunting" and thoughts do start to include the barrel area in the stock channel.  I once thought nothing much of hunting in rain but that attitude gradually changed as I got older.  In later years I avoided wet days whenever possible but you can't always get them right.  Any rifle that's wet gets a barrel removal and wipe down.

Initially with a new (to me) rifle I remove the barrel and put some kind of sealant in the stock barrel channel.  It may be wax or even True Oil.  Rig is my choice for the barrels bottom flats but there are other good choices.  But I quit hunting years ago and they now get fired only at the gun club.       
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bpd303

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2024, 05:27:13 AM »
My grandfather used bees wax on his barrel flats & stock in-letting for his original Ohio Vincent 36 cal flintlock.

Randy aka bpd303
Randy aka bpd303        Arkansas Ozarks

Train for tomorrow, as you never know what it will bring to the fight.
I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2024, 01:58:08 AM »
My favorite for this is LPS-3.  IT dries into a soft wax.  IT does not soak into the wood like grease or oil can.  I spent to much time getting oil and comoline out of stocks to put it in the wood on purpose.  I have also used paste wax with good success.