Author Topic: Baltimore Show—Jacob Young Rifle  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Ats5331

Baltimore Show—Jacob Young Rifle
« on: March 18, 2024, 12:54:52 AM »
Got to see one of the Jacob Young rifles at the Baltimore show this year. Mel Hankla had a great display, and is a heck of a nice guy. So willing to educate and talk with folks. Appreciate you, Mel!

As for Mr. Young’s work. All I can say is wow. Just a spectacular maker and the attention to detail is up there with the best. I gained a whole new appreciation for a maker I didn’t know much about!

Anyone else go to the show or pick up any goodies?

Offline Mattox Forge

Re: Baltimore Show—Jacob Young Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 01:01:17 AM »
I went. What a great show! I didn’t buy anytthing personally.
Mike

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 04:00:23 AM »
The Jacob Young rifle is a fantastic rifle! And Mel Hankla always puts together the best displays. I enjoyed the show and catching up with friends.

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 05:18:57 AM »
Mel’s display was first class. I enjoyed handling a few of them! There’s was a few beautiful pieces on display. Sadly the show seemed less busy this year.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 05:13:14 PM »
I attended this year and I had a great time. I was set up on Gerald Neaves tables. Gerald was unable to attend the show this year and I missed setting with him. This was my second time at the show and I was impressed by the verity of antique arms that is at this show. I hope to make it again next year and hopefully Gerald will be able to make it.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 03:33:08 AM »
Seems to me, this is Mel Hankla talking to Frank House, at Nicholas Hawke's gun shop when Taylor and I visited for Dixon's Gun Maker's Fair in about 2010.
I do not remember who was on the other side of Mel, in this picture.
I do not remember the name of the people whose property bears this shop and a wonderful museum as well. The late Don Getz is shown to the left on this picture.
Don and I sat talking on a bench seat near this gun shop, just to the left.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 04:36:21 AM »
 i wish they had that show more then once a year.  love it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 03:58:08 PM »
I went to an exhibit at the local art museum in Tuscumbia Alabama called "Arms Through the Ages" about 15 years ago, up to this point I had never seen an original flintlock rifle. One guy there had a collection of original flintlocks, a Jacob Young rifle was in his collection. He was the nicest guy and walked me through everything flintlock and let me hold the Jacob Young rifle and shoulder it, I was hooked. I was expecting crude rifles, this rifle looked about like a finished Kibler CNC rifle does today, everything was done to perfection.

Holding this rifle and the the help from nice guy who owned it is part of the reason I started building rifles a few years later.

I don't remember his name, perhaps he is reading this, all I can say is a huge "THANK YOU"!