Author Topic: JoAnn fabrics files for bankruptcy  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Don Steele

JoAnn fabrics files for bankruptcy
« on: March 19, 2024, 02:53:28 PM »
Just an FYI:
A lot of us have favorite patch materials we find at JoAnn fabrics. I just saw a report this morning that they have filed for bankruptcy protection.  :-\ I believe I’ll check my supply on hand and possibly go pick up a few yards of anything I’m low on.  ;)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: JoAnn fabrics files for bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 06:47:48 PM »
Thanks for the info ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 12:18:14 AM »
The stores will remain open while they restructure- they are not closing at this point .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 01:03:19 AM »
Sometime ago, someone mentioned a certain fabric and its number that they were using for patches and it was from JoAnn's. I wrote it down somewhere, and who knows where it is. If that information registers, could someone supply it. I sure would appreciate it .   Thanks.  JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Tumbledown

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 02:56:16 AM »
JoAnn's had a big bump from covid and all of the home crafting. Unfortunately, crafting slowed back down and inflation has made people cut spending where they can.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 12:44:38 PM »
Sometime ago, someone mentioned a certain fabric and its number that they were using for patches and it was from JoAnn's. I wrote it down somewhere, and who knows where it is. If that information registers, could someone supply it. I sure would appreciate it .   Thanks.  JZ
That may be their “ 100% Cotton Drill 40”. It’s a smooth, tight weave fabric that works real well as patch material. When I measure it with a caliper I get .015”, tightly compressed. They also sell a good quality 10 Oz Denim.
I hope they survive reorganization..👍
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 04:25:34 PM »
I started using pocket drill for patches last year, my guns really like it, I will never use ticking again.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 06:59:22 PM »
Just an FYI:
A lot of us have favorite patch materials we find at JoAnn fabrics. I just saw a report this morning that they have filed for bankruptcy protection.  :-\ I believe I’ll check my supply on hand and possibly go pick up a few yards of anything I’m low on.  ;)
I have not found useable patch material in JoAnn’s for years.
Don’t even look anymore.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 07:20:16 PM »
The 10 ounce, 12 and 14 denim I have been using for years still works fine for me, as patching material.
Over the last couple years, I've been using the newer 10 ounce that I measure at .021" heavily compressed in calipers.
It's been working very well. It also compresses .0015" more than the 10 ounce denim I bought 6 or more years ago, so
the mfg'r is different than prior.
Although it compresses more, it still seems to work very well in my .36, .50, 20 bore and .69. I saw, at a Joanne's store in
Yuma, Ar. some years back, 11 ounce denim. That would be about perfect, imho and wish the stores here had it. They don't.
I also used this 10 ounce denim with bore sized balls in the .36, my now gone .40, and the .69. With the .690" balls, it was
a little snug, but loadable with the Hickory rod that was in the rifle then. I had an opportunity to have an Osage rod made for
the rifle, and jumped at the opportunity. The old Hickory rod split some 10 or more years ago & was repaired with CA glue. Worked
& still have it as a spare.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 09:27:07 PM »
My wife, who collects fabric like we do rifles, recommends the cotton pocket drill at WallyMart (I think it is made in India). She has a college degree in fabric & custom clothing, and close to 60 years experience from period clothing to dresses that cost 5+ figures. It may be a regional/deep south thing, I don't know. But it is something to consider if you don't have a JoAnn's or like our town the JoAnn closed.

Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 07:35:56 PM »
The only patches I ever used were cleaning patches for the M1 Garand and had a big bag of them from Wes Kindig.That was long ago and Wes passed away in 1973.

Bob Roller

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 09:07:40 PM »
I started using pocket drill for patches last year, my guns really like it, I will never use ticking again.

Same here.  With the No. 40 drill patch material there is a brown circular outline of my rifling with no evidence ever of burn through or gases bypassing.  I'll swear someday I'm going to recover and reuse one of those patches to see how many firings it will survive.

Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 09:58:38 PM »
Here is some testing we did on a .60 cal. Hawken Rifle that had the barrel shortened. ON this day, we used re-claimed patches, we re-lubed - on the left and right hand targets.
The target in the middle was shot with fresh patches.
This barrel had very deep rifling, in the .025" range. We used .034" thick(14ounce), reclaimed patches (fired from my .69 rifle) with .595" balls in the .60. Shooting was from a
single rest, bench at 50 yards. The powder was GOEX 2F.
In the past, I have, in my .69 used the same patch for a 5 shot group. The patch was still "vital" after being shot 5 times & could have gone another 2 or 3 shots for sure.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 02:14:52 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Longknife

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2024, 03:43:12 PM »
I always go to JoAnn's for my shooting patch material. They have the widest selectin and best prices of anyone.
Ed Hamberg

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2024, 03:50:20 PM »
I use JoAnn's 40 drill for most of my rifles and for my pistols. It does not work for my .58 or my .61 Jaegers. I use a very tightly woven canvas .020 lubed with bear oil on these. The drill does not hold up on either of these rifles.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2024, 06:54:24 PM »
Stopped in yesterday and bought some more red stripped ticking. I need the thinner ticking in my 40's as a use a .395 ball and with my lube of 50/50 T.O.T.W. mink and pure neatsfoot oil I get great accuracy and never have a burn through on the patches. It did seem like they had less inventory than usual.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline recurve

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2024, 07:49:03 PM »
went yesterday bought a half bolt of the 10oz replacement called Bull ??? denim and 2 yrds of 12oz denim sold out of pocket drill in all sizes reading pa store :-\

most stuff 30-50% off the denim 25% off >:(

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 08:26:21 PM »
Denim is VERY expensive here. When on sale which is not often it's usually 50% off, but normally it's over $30.00 per meter (39.37").
Daryl
Daryl

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2024, 03:43:59 PM »
The Jo-Ann's in Beckley WV had everything on sale Tuesday.  The No. 40 Cotton Drill cloth was normally $7.99 a yard and they had it 30 % off.  The shelves were starting to look bare as if they were planning on going out of business. Could be because of the bankruptcy plus there is a Michael's craft store going in nearby.  So, I bought 10 yards of the drill cloth. Hopefully that will do me until I'm 100.

Bob

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 08:33:17 PM »
Seems like that outfit files for bankruptcy about every ten years or so.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2024, 06:02:23 PM »
I throw this out every once in a while.   The Minute Men patching canvas (I order plain not teflon) is the tightest weave, toughest cloth I have ever run into.  Like the weave of carbon fiber.  You cannot see sunlight through it before or after firing.  I have used it since around 2009, and never found anything to compare to it.  Call and leave a message.  He doesn't use email or the internet as far as I can tell.   No, I did not discover it.  My friend Dave who wins matches every year at Friendship put me onto it.