Author Topic: ORIGINAL TENNESSEE and SOUTHERN LONGRIFLE REFERENCE BOOKS  (Read 833 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

... I have been asked several times, "Are there any books on Southern LongRifles that will help me know more about them,...?",.. So.. while nothing can take the place of holding guns in hand and looking them over while discussing with folks who have gained knowledge from years of studying them,.. I have made a list of some books that have helped me, and which I still enjoy after 50+ years of collecting and study... some are out of print, but can still be found at gunshows and on-line, and some are still available through the ALR "books" heading and from the authors... find them and enjoy... If you know of others please comment... regards,.. Cades Cove Fiddler.....

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 12:06:21 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Re: ORIGINAL TENNESSEE and SOUTHERN LONGRIFLE REFERENCE BOOKS
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 11:27:57 PM »
 ;) ;) ;)... I understand that a new "coffee table" type book is in the works and will have full color photos and descriptions of over 200 East TN rifles... also some of Jerry Noble's books are being re-issued and will be available at the upcoming Knoxville show... !!!

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 12:07:21 AM »
Thanks Dana, looking forward to seeing you in Knoxville.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 01:04:21 AM »
Some of those books looks as old as the rifles,  :)  Old gun books are the best. Just hard to get that old smell in new books.  :)

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 05:44:28 PM »
thank you, very much!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 08:17:14 PM »
  Thanks Bud...See ya in a week or less...

Offline Von Hayek

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 02:02:44 AM »
That is a very nice collection. Thanks for posting.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 02:14:34 AM »
Thanks Dana, I really need to get a copy of Brysons Blue Ridge book.

Bob

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 07:38:13 AM »
Cades Cove Fiddler.... how large/complete is the paper back by Robin Hale? I've always heard most of his research on Tennessee gunmaking disappeared after his death... perhaps intentionally. Your booklet doesn't look thick enough to be a major work, but on the other hand, I've never seen or heard about it, so curious about how much information it has.

Shelby Gallien

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 06:35:59 PM »
... Thanx, Shelby... the "booklet" by Robin is from an oral presentation given by him to the American Society of Arms Collectors at their annual meeting in the fall of 1970, and printed in their ASAC bulletin No. 23 in 1971... Robin had copies of this printed and distributed them to interested individuals in the late 1970's about the time he started hosting the Tennessee-Kentucky Longrifle Collectors show in Knoxville... I got my copy back in 1980 from Robin...it is a small, 20 page booklet, with great descriptions and information, but grainy black and white photos,... however, was all we had on Tennessee rifle related subject for many years... we owe much to Robin for all he has done to honor old Tennessee rifles when they were an overlooked step child in the Longrifle community... the booklet is out of print, although I have seen some bootleg copies printed on home printers... I had talked with a couple of the guys who have been with the show from the beginning, they thought a good idea, but nothing came of it...maybe a copyright thing...

Offline JBJ

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 04:44:22 AM »
I sent Dana the following message this morning and he asked that I put it over in the comments to his thread on references for southern mountain rifles. "I think it was in the last year or so I emailed you about a southern mountain rifle that I recalled seeing at the McClung Museum on the UT campus in Knoxville. Well, I think I inadvertently stumbled upon its identity. I found a paper online entitled "Rice Duncan's Long Rifle: A Study of the East Tennessee Long Rifle Tradition. It's available as a PDF file for free https://libjournal.uncg.edu/jbc/article/view/923/578.
On page two of the paper, the auther states "When the chacteristics and style of the long rifle made by Rice Duncan, in the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts' Tennessee Collection ---" This collection used to be housed on the first floor of the McClung Museum of Natural History & Culture that is on Circle Drive on the UT campus. Apparently, the rifle I was calling your attention to iis the Rice Duncan rilfe in the paper by Jessi White. BTW, I think that you may want to consider adding the White paper to your list of references as the White paper has some decent pictures and is well referenced. You guys have fun in K'town (my old hometown)!"

Some of you guys with a burning interest in these rifles, might want to make a little side trip over to the McCling Museum. I have no idea if the exhibit is still on display since it has been years since my last visit. I suggest that you call the museum before visiting.
At any rate, I hope that the White paper is of interest to some of you. Have fun and take care.
J.B.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 05:40:19 AM »
 ;) ;)... Thanx, JB... I did a little extra digging and the MESDA website has even more photos...I hope to see this rifle one day....

Offline RobertS

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 06:39:48 AM »
Here is a link to an online version of Riflemaking in the Great Smoky Mountains:

http://npshistory.com/series/popular/13.pdf

Offline brushyspoons

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 01:24:54 PM »
...ASAC bulletin No. 23 in 1971...

Is this the same bulletin?
https://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/1971-B23-Tennessee-Rifles.pdf

I still need to get myself a copy of Bryson's book.
Phil A.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 02:02:46 PM »
Those additional pictures of the Rice Duncan rifle are splendid. It's a far nicer rifle than I remember and, on the next visit to K'town, I am going to have to revisit the McClung museum.

J.B.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 10:47:27 PM »
Fiddler,
Thanks for starting this.  Here is a list of my seven books on North Carolina rifles and powder horns and how to order them.

C. Michael Briggs

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2024, 10:54:11 PM »

This book details the seven Confederate gun factories located in Guilford County during the Civil War.

constantine p cavafy biography

C. Michael Briggs

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 01:12:19 AM »
 :) :) ... thanx, Michael... you have done excellent research and glad you are shareing in these excellent books...North Carolina rifles, especially those from the western North Carolina mountains are blood brothers to Tennessee mountain rifles... See you in Knoxville,.. !!!... regards,..CCF