Author Topic: Building groups  (Read 958 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
Building groups
« on: April 13, 2024, 12:31:33 AM »
Not sure if it should be placed here. But here goes.
We had a friendly shoot this week and i was looking at the guns we’ve been building as a group for over 20 years nothing specific for the styles of the muzzleloaders. We've been doing this for over 20 years as winter projects and everyone comes in with is own project. It’s not popular around our surroundings but we are having fun with it and what a learning curve.

Denis

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Building groups
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 01:31:57 AM »
That’s great. In St. Louis Missouri a shooting club member hosts on Tuesday nights for members to work on projects in his well equipped shop. Usually folks work for 2 hours then retire to a more comfortable spot for snacks, stories, and a drink.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 01:50:25 AM »
 In the eighties, and early ninties we had a building group that built a little of everything in the muzzleloader line, from kit guns to scratch built customs. But, we all got old, and life got in the way. Not many of us left. I really learned a lot, and shared a lot.

Hungry Horse

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 03:54:57 AM »
There were only three in our bunch. We got together every wed night during the winter in the high school shop !  :o this was in the early 70s.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 05:17:36 AM »
That’s great. In St. Louis Missouri a shooting club member hosts on Tuesday nights for members to work on projects in his well equipped shop. Usually folks work for 2 hours then retire to a more comfortable spot for snacks, stories, and a drink.
I have been hosting a Tuesday night workshop in my shop for over 5 years.  Normally, from 2 to 4 people show up.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 01:20:53 AM »
One of the senior members of our local club hosts a builders night at his house every Wednesday.  Other than a 3 year break for Covid I'd say it's been going 20 years, longer than I've been going.  Running 3-6 people lately, but have seen it high as 10-12 lots of times.  6 sets of vise/workstations, can get pretty crowded!  Learned a lot and have been a load of guys build their first gun at that group, me included.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Habu

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 08:07:26 PM »
Our current loosely-formed guild had its roots in similar gatherings.  We'd get together and work on projects, swap ideas and labor, etc. . . .  Now we have almost 50 members, with quarterly meetings and an annual gathering. 

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 10:19:13 PM »
I host WNBC at my place. Wed Night Boys Club. Have been for close to 30 years. Had a few years down time when we moved but back up to 3 or 4 folks show up to work on things or just tell tall tails. I look forward to it every week. Occasionally a nice flintlock gets finished up! LOL

Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 12:22:01 AM »
I have been hosting a Tuesday night workshop in my shop for over 5 years.  Normally, from 2 to 4 people show up.

Sounds great, David. Do you also supply the beer?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2024, 03:13:42 AM »
...we all got old, and life got in the way. Not many of us left...

That eloquently describes me and my circle of geezers.

Offline godutch

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2024, 06:08:31 PM »
 It's got to be fun having a group where everyone's interested in the same thing. The bulk of my shop time consists of standing over the vise and listening to my own static hiss.  :D