Author Topic: Carrying wet patches on a trail walk?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Scota4570

Carrying wet patches on a trail walk?
« on: May 12, 2024, 07:26:43 AM »
I normally shoot on a bench and out of a box.  I do not often shoot trail walks.  I did today.  One awkward aspect was fishing for shooting patches.  I had them in a heavy zip-top bag.  I got tired of fumbling and had my son be the patch bearer. 

I remembered those belt worn aluminum bait boxes.  Although not traditional I am thinking it might work well. 

Any thoughts or better ideas?

Thanks,
Scot

Offline alacran

Re: Carrying wet patches on a trail walk?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 01:58:43 PM »
Sucrets tin works great for precut patches.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Ray Barbarow

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 02:14:18 PM »
Ted Cash pill box works well for me. Works on up to 50 cal. patches and I do carry them wet.

Offline Nazgul

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 02:15:12 PM »
https://a.co/d/2eCcKxs

I use these from Amazon. Easy to use and fit in my bag.

Don
Click image to open expanded view

Gere 6 Pack Metal Rectangular Sliding Lid Tin Boxes Black, Containers Portable Box Small Storage Kit Home Organizer, Model 805015

« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 03:02:08 PM by rich pierce »

Offline Nazgul

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 03:04:00 PM »
Don, those look super handy
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 04:45:04 PM »
These, from trackofthewolf as well as .22 and .25 pellet tins, work wonderfully.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 06:27:34 PM »
If you still have your March 2024 issue of Muzzle Blasts read my article on "How do you carry your patches"? I also dealt with the same issue and finally came up with this leather strap the works equally good on wet or greased patches.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 07:13:28 PM »
Since a trail walk shoot is an occasional event you could do as I did when I shot one. That was to use a needle and thread and run the needle and thread through the middle of your patches and tie the end to your bag. Remove the needle and put a small knot in the end so that the patches will not fall off. Wet the patches before the shoot and pull off the patch you need. Carry a zip bag for the used patches. When the shoot is over remove the patches and string from your bag. Or just do as suggested by others get yourself a small container and put your patches in there.

Cary a small plastic squeeze bottle with water in it and apply when needed - it sure will be smaller than that bait box - save that bait box for worms and trout fishing ;).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 12:36:17 AM by P.W.Berkuta »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 11:08:15 PM »
I bet an empty snoose can would work good, though I quit chew back in 1986 and don't have any cans around and couldn't afford it even if I was inclined.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 11:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the interest and ideas.

I do not want to rummage through the bag for a can, open the can, take out a patch, close the lid, put it away, then load.  That is a lot of steps.  I like the idea to put them on a thread.  Unfortunately out here the humidity is very low compared to where most of you are in the east.  Patches left in the open dry out quickly.  I bet that would work great for a greased patch. 

The worm box may be a first step in an evolution of something I wear or carry outside the bag to keep wet patches in.  I'll have to see how it evolves. 

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2024, 11:40:27 PM »
Carry the patches in ur mouth.  Spit works fine.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 09:42:56 PM »
Carry the patches in ur mouth.  Spit works fine.

I've done that with precuts as well as a strip of material.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline teakmtn

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 03:25:30 AM »
If you keep your bag contents to a bare minimum, ie., balls, spare flints, a few tools, the tin with wet patches is not a difficult step. In fact, the tin is easily recognized by touch, withdrawn, patched removed, tin returned and Bobs your uncle. Patches stay moist. I've done the patches on a string and they do dry out. Good luck.
Doug T.

Offline Hawg

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2024, 04:37:16 AM »
Maybe try some different patches for a trail walk.

Offline alacran

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 02:49:50 PM »
I use Sucrets tins. I throw them in a fire, burn off all the graphics and then I peen the top with a small ball peen hammer.
I don't always carry precuts but when I do this is what I use.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2024, 05:14:48 PM »
Chewing on a few in your mouth is one way if you go the spit route.  Tastes funky though.

I usually use light oil (neatsfoot) but not drenched, just light oil.  Or sometimes an oil/beeswax mix if that's all i've got on hand.  Most shot bags are leather which likes oil as opposed to drying out.  And most of my shot bags have a small inside pocket.  So I just stick them in there loose.  Reach in and grab one.  Done.

The leather strip with the slots up above is REALLY cool!  Very smart idea.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2024, 07:57:01 PM »
With my moose milk patches swabbing is not necessary.  I have not had oil or grease patches do that for me.  More experimentation is obviously necessary.

As for handling lead balls and spit patches, no thanks.  I am absolutely not a "safety bedwetter".  However handling lead balls then, patches, then putting the patches in my mouth is a step to far for me.  The lead oxide that gets on your fingers is readily absorbed into your body. 

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2024, 04:06:23 PM »
Are u kiddin?  Youre shooting black powder.  Youre handling lead balls all the time.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2024, 07:47:55 PM »
If you're on a woodswalk why not carry a ball block or two, it's what I do. I get everything ready the night before. The patches are already lubed and the balls are with it ready to go.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 11:21:25 PM »
Not Kidding.  I am far from a safety bed wetter. 

After 31 years as a forensic scientist specializing in firearms matters and hazardous materials, I do know a thing or two about lead dangers.   The health risk of lead are over blown IMHO.  I little common sense goes a long way with avoiding lead poisoning.   I handle lots of lead.  However I do not put my fingers in my mouth while doing so.  I wash my hands after I handle lead.  That is all, easy. 

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2024, 12:54:57 AM »
FWIW I string 10 at a time on pieces of yarn. There’s a 2” loop on one end to about 12” of yard. Last woodswalk I prepped 30 square-cut patches and each got ‘3 dots’ of my favorite liquid lube, rubbed in, then 3 strings (30 patches total) placed into a non-period correct ZipLok bag.

I’ll loop one string on my bag iron loop where the strap & bag meet. Whilst others shooting shot #10, I’ll pull out the next string - works for me!

BTW, I have MZL’s from 40 to 77-caliber (one a 60” barreled 75-cal) w/ at least 1 of every caliber in-between (less the French 69) and I can load & shoot all of them ALL DAY long without swabbing - ever, between shots - whilst using Hoppe’s Black Powder Cleaner/Patch Lube as my ‘warm’ weather patch lube. Accuracy is excellent!

[I expressly use Track of the Wolf’s mink oil paste tub lube for my hunting loads in cold weather/below freezing, etc.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2024, 02:54:39 AM »
Well rendered Beef kidney fat tallow and a blow tube. Shot 24 rounds yesterday no wiping, no issues. But it was fairly cold and it snowed some.  The tie breaker was 1/“ too far out so I took second. Not a big crown. Some were off to Wildhorse Rendezvous. At least it did not rain.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine