Author Topic: Just finished an Early Lancaster  (Read 966 times)

Offline rick landes

Just finished an Early Lancaster
« on: May 14, 2024, 02:05:35 AM »
Just finished this today. I have posted several pictures; some outside in sunlight some under artificial light.

“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline penobscot

• Starting Member
Re: Just finished an Early Lancaster
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 02:57:44 AM »
that's a great job, just wonderful, love the patch box, a lot of work on the inletting.

Offline Tenmile

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 05:17:47 PM »
Beautiful work. Nice job on the patch box. Beautiful wood and finish.
Lynn

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 05:56:20 PM »
Great job.  I like that color, what is it??

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 06:38:08 PM »
Very nice, really like the color!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 06:54:29 PM »
Initially, as in yesterday, I was thinking I prefer a darker stock, but now I'm thinking that honey colour is quite striking.
Good job overall.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rick landes

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 12:34:15 AM »
The stain is LMF “Lancaster Maple” I tested ratios of stain to thinner on a curly maple block. I started at 10 thinner to one drop stain. IK pretty tight fisted on the stain but I wanted to see the speed of the darkening. So 10-1, 10-2, etc. Each time as dabbed onto a 1x2 inch area of my test block. (I pre-drew the test areas with a pencil and square.) At 10-4 it was looking good at 10-5 or a 50% cut I was where I wanted to be.
I hope that helps. I do think I would recommend a test EVERY TIME as we know wood hardness moisture etc are all variables.

BTW this is advertised as the correct color for rifles out of the Lancaster area. Couldn’t prove by me but I like the idea!

Thank you for the feedback.

Mary May wrote an invaluable book called the acanthus. It gives a historical and geographical overview of this leaf. An excellent how to draw is inside too. She’s a wonderful person too. I highly recommend it to any interested in the study v

« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 02:55:15 PM by rick landes »
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline dadybear1

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 09:50:30 PM »
GREAT JOB--WOW