Author Topic: Help with pistol info.  (Read 3569 times)

Photog

Help with pistol info.
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »
I need help on ID'ing a pistool that is in my family, you guys are the best in the world at looking at a photo and knowing everything there is to know about a gun, so here goes. Any info yo can give, no matter how obvious to you, would be more than I know now. So, don't hold back. Please.
  All I know is that this is one of a set that my great grandaunt had, she gave one to my grandpa and one to his cousin, I think. The cousin tried to get my grandpa's back, but he wouldn't give it. I'm not sure who has it now, or where the other is. The family historian sent me a scan of 3 old photos.

ANY info would help fill in the blanks. I hope to find one of them to photograph in detail, and then want to build a copy set of them.

Thanks a ton.

Photog

Re: Help with pistol info.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »

Photog

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »

Photog

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
Photog,
I am going to venture a guess that it is German from the middle of the 18th century, however, I cannot tell from the photos if it was converted from flint.  The conversion appears to be very good.  Certainly, the breech must have been changed if it was a conversion.  If it was made as percussion, obviously the date would be much later than the 18th century but the styling sure looks 18th century tio me.  The double set triggers are unusual on a pistol but there is at least one other example that I have seen.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Photog

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:14:27 AM »
Dave,

Thanks for the info. I used that and found one that looks a lot like this one. That one was converted.

Anybody else have any ideas?

jwh1947

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:10:28 AM »
I'm not questioning Dave, as it looks northern European to me, from what I can see.  Could you get some better pics up, sharper and some closeups?  It does look neat, and we could be of more help then.  Thanks.

Photog

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:34 AM »
I hope to get better pics, but I'm not even sure where the guns are now. My Uncle may have one of them, but I don't know for sure.