Author Topic: Recoil pads  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Maurice

Recoil pads
« on: May 15, 2024, 10:05:47 PM »
What’s your favorite recoil pad?  Over the butt stock or strap on? Why?

My very light 42” thin wall 20-gauge fowler kicks like mule with 80 grains of 2F and 1 &1/8 oz of #6 shot. I hate for it to become something to just look at after spending 18 months building it. Never experienced any kickback like this with my heavier weight .50 cal.  rifles using 50 – 65 grains of 2F.

Not sure if lighter powder and shot loads would make a noticeable difference in the fowler – patterns well on paper turkeys with the load mentioned. 

Offline JPK

Re: Recoil pads
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 11:12:12 PM »
I use a PAST recoil pad under my shirt when at the bench. The gun must get heavier or the load lighter to produce less recoil. You seem to be using a stout load for a 20 gauge.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 11:26:10 PM »
That is very close to the load I shoot in my 20 bore 1/2 stock. It's very pleasant to shoot. Weighs 8 1/2 pounds & swings VERY smoothly.
You could actually drop your powder charge down to even 70gr. without damaging close range turkey patterns.
It will likely pattern even better.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 11:28:12 PM »
When I had the torn cartilage in my shoulder, fore and aft. I had to wear a past shoulder protector to shoot my elephant guns.
The ML's didn't bother me, except for the .69. Oh yeah - another elephant rifle. ;)
Daryl

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 12:39:01 AM »
When I take my .54 to the range to practice with hunting loads, I slip on one of these:  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006452941?pid=547301

Pricy yes......but your shoulder will thank you after ten or so shots.

Offline Maven

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 01:44:01 AM »
I still use a P.A.S.T. recoil pad, but more for my CF rifles.  However, crescent buttplate BP rifles, fired from a rest become annoying when not wearing such a pad.  Here's what I found on Amazon in case anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=past+magnum+recoil+pad&crid=1KXM4S03EYG1L&sprefix=PAST+recoil+pad%2Caps%2C89&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_15
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 06:30:04 PM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 03:07:34 AM »
There are several different thicknesses of PAST shoulder protectors.
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 03:58:33 PM »
Maven's comment is a ringing endorsement for the crescent butt plate ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Bob Roller

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2024, 04:48:13 PM »
I shoot so fairly stout loads in my .54, I am also the worlds worse to flinch in anticipation of getting whacked by a substantial recoil. I wear the thickest Past pad they make when I am shooting off the bench and have no felt excessive reoil or flinching problem.

I never feel the recoil when I am shooting at a deer so flinching is not a problem.

Offline Maven

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2024, 04:48:35 PM »
And how, Bob! ;D  My P.A.S.T. is a "magnum" type that has served me well for bench shooting.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Hawg

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 09:19:22 PM »
I'm glad I'm not recoil sensitive. I'm 67 and one day I might feel differently but that day has not yet arrived. None of my guns have pads not even my centerfire rifles and shotguns.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2024, 01:52:02 AM »
One factor in recoil is the shape of the stock.Many old long guns have a ridiculous drop and were probably cut from a plank 12/14"wide.
Add a crescent butt plate and even with moderate loads the recoil is noticeable.Pick up a British caplock sporting rifle and put it to your shoulder and notice the difference.I have seen statements that our own much loved Hawken rifle was inspired by these English rifles but
the only thing the did a good job of copying was the big bore,not the stock design or overall workmanship.
Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2024, 02:35:19 AM »
Never tried the PAST-type protection but back when I benched a lot I made a drag bag to "add" weight to the rifle.  Simply a strap over the butt-with a lead or sand filled pouch on the bench. Reset for each shot.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Hawg

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2024, 09:15:32 AM »
Add a crescent butt plate and even with moderate loads the recoil is noticeable.

Crescent butt plates weren't meant to be fired off the shoulder. They're meant to be fired off your upper arm. 90 grains of powder and a round ball out of a .54 isn't really noticeable not even after repeated firings.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2024, 02:43:40 PM »
Add a crescent butt plate and even with moderate loads the recoil is noticeable.

Crescent butt plates weren't meant to be fired off the shoulder. They're meant to be fired off your upper arm. 90 grains of powder and a round ball out of a .54 isn't really noticeable not even after repeated firings.

This is true. Your arm will fall back during the recoil and provide more of a "cushion" from the push of the recoil.

That being said when I built my Leman I filed off probably half an inch from the top of the buttplate crescent. I hunt with this rifle and in a "hurry" to shoulder it I didn't want that buttplate to "stick" me if my hurry up shooting wasn't placed just right.

Offline RichG

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2024, 04:12:51 AM »
lead sled ;D especially when working on loads for my 12ga trade gun. Only weighs 6.25 lbs. Also have the past recoil shield. Some time its hard to keep under a curved butt plate but works fine.

Offline 83nubnEC

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2024, 08:15:29 PM »
Second the use of the Caldwell Lead Sled for sighting in. Once you get the rifle/smoothbore sighted in you can switch to offhand or other means of a rest.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2024, 01:53:31 AM »
Try using 1F powder. 

I have a 17# 4-bore.  The slower acceleration that 1F gives makes a huge difference.   350 gr of 1F is no problem.  2F is uncomfortable, I tried 3F once and got a mild concussion. 

Offline bpd303

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2024, 02:34:14 AM »
I have a mesh shooting vest with built in recoil pad. Really can't remember where I got it or who made it. As a matter of fact, I can't remember when the last time I used it, probably shooting my Marlin in 45-70 which kills on one end and maims on the other. 8)
 Or where in the downstairs dungeon it is located.

Randy aka bpd303
Randy aka bpd303        Arkansas Ozarks

Train for tomorrow, as you never know what it will bring to the fight.
I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2024, 09:59:46 PM »
My dad was a marksmanship instructor in Special Forces.  They'd spend hours at the range with Garands and M-14s.  He said the guys would go to the store and buy the thickest Kotex pads they could find.  Stick them to their shoulder under their shirts.  He said it worked like a charm and greatly reduced battering and bruising.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2024, 03:38:54 PM »
I never thought the M1 Garand had that much recoil but I was used to the jolt of a Sharps or Springfield with a 500 grain bullet.
My Whitworth semi military target rifle had a stock that was short for me and I bought a pull on recoil pad to add and extra bit
pf length and it worked.I am comfortable with a 14" pull but not a 13".Sounds silly but it's true.I have no experience with the M14
and it was coming in when I got my final Honorable discharge on July  6,1963 ;D.
Bob Roller

Offline Maven

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2024, 06:48:53 PM »
...shooting my Marlin in 45-70 which kills on one end and maims on the other....  bpd303

Even with a thick recoil pad you can feel the difference an extra 50 fps makes and /or 50gr. bullet weight.  (Don't ask....)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2024, 02:48:40 PM »
Only recoil pad I have is on a shotgun stock that was cut too short for me, so added an inch pad.
Do not like them as they hang up. Another shotgun I added a block of wood to lengthen it. that doesn't grab.

My EIC musket lifts with 125 grains and a ball, but can't say it kicks other than off a bench, then it's the face that cops it!

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2024, 05:03:35 AM »
I use a Limbsaver .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2024, 04:37:45 PM »
How many muzzle loading shotguns have crescent butt plates? I don't think I ever laid eyes on one.Lighting up 5 drams of good quality black powder to move 2 ounces of bird shot at a big duck.
Bob Roller