Author Topic: GRINSLADE AT SKINNER'S  (Read 1538 times)

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
GRINSLADE AT SKINNER'S
« on: June 14, 2024, 01:49:51 PM »
SKINNER'S HAS FINALLY POSTED THE LOTS AT THEIR AUCTION.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 12:40:46 AM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline HSmithTX

Re: GRINSDALE AT SKINNER'S
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 06:21:00 PM »
Thanks for that link Rich, lots of great pictures.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: GRINSDALE AT SKINNER'S
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 06:36:08 PM »
Thanks for that link Rich, lots of great pictures.

Biggest sale of outstanding early American fowlers ever.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: GRINSLADE AT SKINNER'S
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 01:56:05 AM »
WOW, that is some awesome stuff. Most of them I only saw in his book. It's great to see these in color.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2024, 09:55:34 PM »
I just noticed that it's an On-Line Only auction.

I hope he doesn't get scalped like mr. no gold did.....

John

John Robbins

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 10:08:34 PM »

John
It might be a gamble putting that many of the best fowlers up at once.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2024, 02:10:52 AM »

John
It might be a gamble putting that many of the best fowlers up at once.
I concur with both John and Rich.

For a serious collection, as Tom has, a strictly online auction is the wrong path forward in, my opinion. Many people are still hesitant making on-line purchases either because they are not at ease online or know people that have had bad experiences.

I am quite at ease with a computer after 30 years of using them but would not bid on-line. I would definitely not put what's left of my collection up for auction on an online only auction.

Perhaps I am too cautious but after Mr. No Gold's "tragedy", I do not think so.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 01:38:49 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2024, 06:32:15 AM »
I don't think Mr. No Gold ended up as badly as some think. I spoke with Brian LaMaster after the auction/sale and he said he had already sold a number of the items at better prices than the final high bids on-line, and a few sold at much better prices. His on-line sale just seemed to get things started... and his follow-up efforts did much of the real work.

I agree with the comments on lower expectations from an on-line sale. It lacks the excitement of floor bidders being urged on by the auctioneers and the crowd cheering the bidders, and bidders getting nervous and over excited. But I think the big downside in Tom's sale is the large volume of similar, high-quality pieces all being sold at once. When just a few are in a sale, and a couple buyers want one, they have to be more aggressive in bidding and jump in and grab one. With a large number of similar items, all top tier, if he/she misses one, there are always more good ones coming up... so the urgency to bid isn't as strong... and hammer prices often reflect the reduced urgency. 

In Tom's collecting field, early fowlers, the number of high-end collectors is less than with Kentucky rifles. I'd think, after a serious buyer purchases one high end item, he is less inclined to chase any of the others as hard. As the sale progresses, with somewhat limited collectors for these guns, I'd think sale enthusiasm would drop... the big lions are satiated, and the small lions don't want to pay the high prices... so prices drop for later items in the sale, even if about as good as earlier items.   

Shellby Gallien   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 07:09:59 AM by Tanselman »

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024, 06:27:37 PM »
I don't think Mr. No Gold ended up as badly as some think. I spoke with Brian LaMaster after the auction/sale and he said he had already sold a number of the items at better prices than the final high bids on-line, and a few sold at much better prices. His on-line sale just seemed to get things started... and his follow-up efforts did much of the real work.
Shellby Gallien

Well, that is interesting on a number of levels.

I do not recall if there were "Reserves" in the descriptions for Mr. No Golds items.

If not, an interested party may have been under the impression that they had the high, and therefore, winning bid from his or her On-line Bid, at the end of the auction.

I do not know the mechanics of this particular auction so I'm hoping that someone can provide the facts.

Kent

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 09:33:14 PM »
   If reserves are not met I belive the seller is released of any obligation to sell to the highest bidder. Buying after the auction seems to happen more than one would think. I know of two instances of buyers who were contacted after  Louie Parkers auction  . One buyer sold the item he bought for a higher price the other                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Turned down a sizable profit for his. 

JIM