Author Topic: Black Powder shooting  (Read 460 times)

Offline 83nubnEC

Black Powder shooting
« on: June 15, 2024, 11:54:11 PM »
Just a note to those few who haven't switched over to the real fun in shooting muzzleloaders (flintlocks) and are having trouble finding caps for your cap locks, look up Mag-Spark on the net. Available for most nipple sizes and makes it possible to use regular 209 primers in your cap locks and hotter spark for black powders and substitutes. 209 primers seem to be pretty much available anywhere.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Black Powder shooting
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 01:37:51 AM »
Just a note to those few who haven't switched over to the real fun in shooting muzzleloaders (flintlocks) and are having trouble finding caps for your cap locks, look up Mag-Spark on the net. Available for most nipple sizes and makes it possible to use regular 209 primers in your cap locks and hotter spark for black powders and substitutes. 209 primers seem to be pretty much available anywhere.
Might work. But someone could make a sealed ignition for a small rifle primer too. This was a common ignition in the late 19th for slug guns and such. But the primers before the advent of smokeless were much “softer”. Just remember that while the substitutes like a hot fire BP may not accuracy wise. And it may not be legal on a traditional ML in some states.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline 83nubnEC

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 04:01:56 PM »
The Mag-Spark is a replacement for the nipple itself on a cap lock type rifle, not for inlines. The rifle nipple is taken out and replaces the original nipple itself. Videos are available on the net showing the replacement and use of the Mag-Spark.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 06:57:14 PM »
I turned a small pistol primer firing replacement for a standard nipple on my TC back in the 70's. I used my  poor man's lathe. A file for turning the steel, a drill,  a 1/4" x 28 tap and die and an adjustable electric drill held in a 5" bench vise for the lathe. It worked very well. The "plans" for it were a couple pictures in Musket Blasts, way back in the 70's.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V