Author Topic: Question For The Seasoned Builders  (Read 569 times)

Offline Tommykid

• Starting Member
Question For The Seasoned Builders
« on: June 23, 2024, 01:07:45 AM »
I’m not sure if this topic is frowned upon, but here goes….i’m toying around with getting a wheel lock parts set from the Rifle Shoppe. I like the look of the paddle butt they have offered. The lock would be ordered already assembled. What is a fair and/or average price to have this built? No carving or engraving.
Thanks,
Tom

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Question For The Seasoned Builders
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 02:07:04 AM »
If the lock is assembled, the build would cost the same as any other build from a blank and pile of parts. Of course you’d want someone who knows the architecture. Rifle Shoppe pre carved stocks are as they are, like any pre-carved stocks. They have their advantages and challenges.

As far as cost it would be like a plank build, probably.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 02:16:46 AM »
Hi Tom,
We try to focus on American longrifles and their historical context.  Wheellocks play a role as they were common on German hunting rifles, the ancestors to the long rifles.  So, I believe your topic is fine.  That said, you have some hurdles.  Not many makers in North America know enough about wheellocks to make them.  Brian Anderson and Helwood (on our site) are two but Brian is basically retiring.  I am sure there are a few others out there and maybe your thread will attract them.  With respect to TRS part sets, Brian always told me he used the externals but made most of the internals from scratch.  The cast internals were just too difficult to clean up and use.  Wheellocks are demanding locks to make and get easily out of order.  That is why they failed as military guns and were only really popular for sporting guns for the wealthy.  If you order a wheellock assembled by TRS, I suspect you will wait a long time.  I suggest you submit a thread to the "Pre-Flintlock" section of the Muzzleloading Forum

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/forums/pre-flintlock.9/

and ask for guidance.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2024, 07:07:19 AM »
As far as I know, Jess Melot is not taking orders for any more completed locks.
Psalms 144