Author Topic: H. BURNS .36 flint  (Read 772 times)

Offline Old and Grumpy

• Starting Member
H. BURNS .36 flint
« on: June 30, 2024, 03:07:30 PM »
Just got her home! Photo shoot this week.  She is dirty. Was not cleaned after last time out. I know how to clean her up. First question is about the wood. I live where it is very dry. Humidity is under 10% most of the summer. Went 3 weeks at 5% last year. I have had antique furniture crack and joints open up. Am thinking about oiling the stock when I have the barrel out. There are no cracks I can see yet. I have True Oil or can get other stuff. Should I lightly oil the insides? Looking for the best way to make her last another 150 years. Any problems to watch out for?  Thanks for the help.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: H. BURNS .36 flint
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 06:01:05 PM »
I’m following this one with an interest to hear how the pros treat “as found” gun stocks without losing the patina or making it look refinished.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 02:41:27 AM »
No pro here, but I'd say if it's a truly as found original finish, kiss it and put in the gun safe.

That's not to say that if the gun is broken in half, or has in other ways seen tough times, that it shouldn't be made right again, while keeping the original finish untouched and intact.

John
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 07:45:18 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Old and Grumpy

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 09:06:25 PM »
All I want to do is clean up the sticky crud then use a stock oil or wax to preserve the finish.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 01:53:38 AM »
Try a little soap and water on the stock. You would be surprised what comes off.  Don't scrub just wipe . Try a damp cloth and  see what you've got. The problem with putting some type of oil on the stock is it will change the color. A onehundred fity twohundred year old rifle has seen it all and might be alright . I'm just not sure. There should be some guys here from the southwest who have delt with this before. Maybe they will chime in with help.   I'm kinda with JTR on this less is more.  Jim
JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 04:00:36 AM »
Rereading your first post, it seems your more interested in not having the stock crack, than keeping the finish totally original?

But you can also ask yourself just what part of the finish is still original? What is there now, dirt, grime and all? Or just the color and whatever oil was used by the maker?

If it doesn't have any cracks now, I'd doubt it will start cracking at your place just because you're in a dry area. Just keep the gun inside the house and it should be fine.

If you want to put some oil on it, that shouldn't hurt anything. It will change the color a bit. But the dirt, grime, etc has changed the color a bit already.

I think your question here is to try to limit cracking, but not necessarily worrying about somewhat changing the color of the stock?

I've done restoration work on a lot of rifles over the years, and keeping the finish as close to as found has always been very important to me. But sometimes, like the one below, the color is the problem and needs to be adjusted some
to look better.

Pictures of your rifle would sure help.
John
John Robbins