Author Topic: Fowler gear  (Read 506 times)

Offline foresterdj

Fowler gear
« on: October 03, 2024, 07:17:04 AM »
My winter project is a Kibler fowler. I have never used a Fowler before. My question is to those who hunt with their fowler.

What do you carry and how do you organize it for efficient reloading?

For my rifles, and most of this would apply I am sure, I carry a few cleaning patches, a tin with jags, worm, ball puller and a couple spare flints. Powder measure, small priming horn a vent pick and a screw driver. Of course also a powder horn, and round balls and patches. When deer hunting I will have some of the little tubes with pre measured charge and a loading block with patched round balls.

To this the Fowler seems to add a variety of cards and wads some lubed some dry. Seems like hunting bag starting to get a confusing bunch of items in it to pull out in proper order for reloading.

So, what do you carry for Fowler hunting and how do you carry it?

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Fowler gear
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2024, 04:19:41 PM »

All very simple.
Wads in lower weskit pocket, caps in top weskit pocket,
Bit of copper wire attached to buttonhole.  (to prick nipple or touchhole)
a short turnscrew in a side pocket.
Powder flask with measure and fireproof top in a jacket side pocket with a flap to keepsparks out.
couple of flints in waistcoat other side top pocket if flint required.
The ramrod should have a cap that unscrews to reveal a worm for cleaning with tow, or pulling a charge.
on older guns, a bare tow worm was often on the other end of the rammer.

a couple of shot chargers could be carried in another pocket carrying a different size to the shot flask.
(See other photo)

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2024, 06:50:24 PM »

All very simple.
Wads in lower weskit pocket, caps in top weskit pocket,
Bit of copper wire attached to buttonhole.  (to prick nipple or touchhole)
a short turnscrew in a side pocket.
Powder flask with measure and fireproof top in a jacket side pocket with a flap to keepsparks out.
couple of flints in waistcoat other side top pocket if flint required.
The ramrod should have a cap that unscrews to reveal a worm for cleaning with tow, or pulling a charge.
on older guns, a bare tow worm was often on the other end of the rammer.

a couple of shot chargers could be carried in another pocket carrying a different size to the shot flask.
(See other photo)

Absolutely beautiful piece!!  I could look at that all day!
Thank you for sharing

Tony

Online Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2024, 06:57:56 PM »
Beautiful guns, Richard.
For use with shot, a shot flask as Pukka B has shown, as well as powder flask or horn with a measure.
As far as wads, only the thin over shot "B" wads are needed, especially with a gun with no choke.
Pour powder as normal, press 2 or 3 thin "B" wads into the muzzle and push down 2" with a short starter.
Pour shot from measure (same as powder) onto the wads. Press into the muzzle another wad, then push the 'works' down onto the powder.
I won a trap shoot with this loading & shooting against guns with chokes. It works, but as normal, pattern testing should be done.
For use with ball, same "outfit" as with a rifle, except the ball should be .020" to .030 smaller than the bore.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2024, 01:25:16 AM »
 I’ve done a lot of bird hunting with a tradegun in twenty gauge. My rig developed over several years is this. I made a double headed shot snake with an Irish style head on the powder snake, and an English head on the shot snake. This makes it harder to make a mistake, and gives you the safety of a removable charger for the powder (the charger should be on a lanyard or you will lose it in the field). I made a belt pouch from a cut off section of horn plugged at both ends, with a heavy leather flap with a leather loop, that slipped over a pewter button. My wads were lightly dipped on one side in melted tallow, or bear grease. Small tools and flints were carried in my pocket. Priming powder was whatever was in the main charge so no extra horn was needed. There was a lot of trial and error before I put this rig together, along with lost equipment, wet powder, and lost hunting hours. Good luck.

Hungry Horse

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2024, 07:06:40 AM »
Could you post a picture of the belt/horn pouch? I am not picturing it well in my head from the description.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2024, 04:31:25 PM »
For some reason when people use a fowling piece these days thoughts of tons of items in a huge bag come to mind. Surely if one plans to use all manner of cards and wads a division of same is handy. I approach much of my shooting of 18th century guns in 18th century manner to a degree to suit myself. 
I use a small belt bag or shoulder bag and also take advantage of pockets on my clothes. The bag usually holds tow for cleaning and loading (as well as shot chargers pre-loaded with shot and powder. I also sometimes use wasp nest or rubbed brown paper for wadding. Some use paper cartridges for simple loading.  I also carry a very small priming horn so as not to have to prime from my chargers prior to loading. Sometimes a snake belt of shot and a powder horn is carried if doing a bunch of shooting.  A worm, wad puller and a few extra flints is carried in a leather wallet in the pocket.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 04:34:58 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2024, 05:36:02 PM »
Hey James.  Could you talk more about those shot chargers? I've never seen that before.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2024, 06:02:12 PM »
Hey James.  Could you talk more about those shot chargers? I've never seen that before.

Mine are repops made in India and of heavier metal than the originals i have seen in either brass or iron.  They have two compartments and each end has a spring loaded lid. There are written accounts of them being ordered with fowling piece orders in the mid-atlantic colonies.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2024, 04:17:59 PM »
Justin,
As James says, the shot chargers are double ended for double guns. normally shot of a different size could be carried in them for a different quarry.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2024, 06:35:18 PM »

Mine are repops made in India and of heavier metal than the originals i have seen in either brass or iron.  They have two compartments and each end has a spring loaded lid. There are written accounts of them being ordered with fowling piece orders in the mid-atlantic colonies.
Hi James--Where did you find the India-made chargers? Somewhere on line perhaps? I's like to buy a few. Thanks! -- JB

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2024, 07:41:39 PM »

Hi James--Where did you find the India-made chargers? Somewhere on line perhaps? I's like to buy a few. Thanks! -- JB

I got most of them from Jon Laubach prior to his passing. I later bought a couple more from his daughter who had his remaining stock. I dont know if any more remain.  Jon had them specially ordered IIRC and were only available thru him.
I use powder in one side and shot in the other.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2024, 10:45:23 PM »
Thanks James. -- JB

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #13 on: Today at 04:37:10 PM »
Original shot chargers do show up from time to time.