Author Topic: Are you willing to teach a gunmaking class?  (Read 6481 times)

Offline Dave B

Are you willing to teach a gunmaking class?
« on: June 11, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »
How many of you are at a place where you would be capable of teaching a couple students how to build a rifle? I love to teach stuff and have done several presentations for the Gun fairs out in our neck of the woods. I have a big enough shop that I could teach a class of a couple. I have several work benches with vices etc. I have a collection of how to books for study and a pretty decent library for research. I Know that one of the fellows from the Washington Historical Gunmakers Guild is building a new house with the thought to host classes. What a great Idea.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Are you willing to teach a gunmaking class?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
I could do one on "all the mistakes a New Builder can Make!"
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 05:22:15 AM »
Tim,
Have you ever seen the Hershal House building a Kentucky rifle Video By  APV?
They have out takes at the end of the tape that make the whole thing perfect.
At one point there is a pet squirrel that climbs all over Him while he's at the gun bench.  It would be fun to make a what not to do video.
Dave Blaisdell

Roy S.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:06:13 PM »
I've toyed with the idea, on basic assembly and what not.  I do have one fella that shows up every other week and works one day on his build.  So far he has helped inlet a few barrels, a lock for my personal builds, and he has learned how to forge/make his own hardware for his build. 

karwelis

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »
i wish there was someone to teach here in southern california! i would provide the space.

karwelis

USMC Sgt.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 05:03:18 AM »
Dave, I teach a class of four guys every Wed. evening in my shop. I should say five, for to teach is to learn again. The guys are coming along great . The hardest thing to teach is patients. They will have some fine guns when they are done. Charles R. Heistand

Photog

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 01:11:44 AM »
This is actually why I joined this site. Trying to find a class on rifle building. Does anyone do a start to finish class? My dream is to build my own rifle, but I don't think I can do it without some help, and a deadline. There used to be a week long class in southern Ohio, about 20 years ago. They told me I was to young to do it then, when I was old enough I could never find it again.

J Shingler

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 02:05:56 AM »
We have WNBC in the winter and TNBC in the summer months. That is Wed. Nights Boys Club or Thur. Nights Boys Club as the wife calls it. I help guys with problems they run into. I have also taught a Chambers kit building class for a few of the guys, a few yr. At the height of classes we had Frank House up to teach for a couple weekends a year for few years in a row. I have room for five guys . Those were great times. :)

Offline sz

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:37:42 PM »
I have taught several classes here at my shop, but I can't afford to travel to other states to teach.  Gas is just too costly.  In the past i have taught for free.  I may have to charge a bit in the future because I just can't spare the time and pay the bill too now.  Everything cost more ever year it seems
I have taught for free in the past to try to do something to keep the sport alive and pass something down.  If we don't, the "plastic in-line boys" will be all that's left to the next generation.   :(

SZ

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »
I have invited at least a dozen men to come to my shop anytime they desire and use my tools, equipment and library, as well as my knowledge.

So far, none have taken me up on the offer.  Seems like there are a lot of "bench racers" who talk the talk, but are unwilling to walk the walk.  Others are insecure in their skills and cannot be convinced they are easily acquired with tutelage.

This is particularly true of those without a lot of discretionary income who are overwhelmed by the initial investment in parts, without realizing how much it can be minimized.  But many of them waste dollars buying stuff off eBay which they can never use.  With the demise of CVA priced kits, many who might try, no longer do.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »
I helped Jack Gee teach apprentices in the MIchigan LongrifleSmiths Guild for about a year.
Tom C.

Only Round

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 04:27:25 AM »
  I've been running a gun builder's group through our club now for about 3-4 months.  Basically, I've just been helping people along with guns/kits they have as well as showing them some things I happen to be working on at the time.  So far it's not really been a "class" in the sense of having something for them to do each week, but I have generally helped them along by either showing them how something is done on something I'm working one (inletting a butt plate, cleaning/polishing cast brass etc) or guiding them through doing it themselves on their own project.