Author Topic: Crown Dressing  (Read 3014 times)

William Worth

Crown Dressing
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
I know Daryl recommends using a 320 grit emory cloth to dress a crown with, well, I don't have any and here's what I have been doing as an alternative and it seems to work well for me.

I do have an abundance of various grit "Scotch-Brite" pads.  I use a smaller then caliber jag (say a .45 jag in a.54 barrel) and poke a slightly smaller then barrel outer diameter by 2-3" strip in the muzzle a few inches.  Poke it in, pull it out, poke it in, pull it out (simple minds are easily entertained  :P).  Keep this up for awhile and rotate the barrel slightly each time.  I think this method may be a little more idiot proof as well.

roundball

Re: Crown Dressing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:51:23 PM »
Uhmmm...wonder how that would work if it could be attached to a variable speed jig-saw or reciprocating saw, used on slow speed, etc...

Daryl

Re: Crown Dressing
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »
Good thinking, RB, on William's method to speed things up a bit. If the saw works fore and aft it might not be good.  I'd rather the crown be only at the very top of the muzzle and Williams method might introduce a long taper to the crown.