Author Topic: Learning the Art of rifle building  (Read 12127 times)

Offline Dave B

Learning the Art of rifle building
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:35:45 PM »
Just an observation about some of the great builders I run into. I have been more of a builder than a shooter.  I can here you out there booing and hissing guys. I don't attend more than three a year if I am doing well. Now that my Daughter is interested I may get out more.  At any rate. I invariably will see rifles that are finely made but when I ask who the builder is they will be some one who I have not met at the gunmakers fairs. Now I know everyone is busy but I find that the collaboration of minds at these fairs is why I have stepped up the rungs on they quality of building I have been doing lately. The point being that there are a bunch of folks out there that are building and doing a decent job of it with out being high profile or coming to the gunmaker's fairs.  I have gleaned a great deal of information from the rest of you here on these websites at ALR making me an even better informed builder. So it boggles my mind that some one who does this wouldn't participate int the greater building community. 
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Learning the Art of rifle building
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
Dave, quiet depends on many factors.

I was quiet for my whole life until I discovered the ALR, building, shooting, establishing my family, taking care of my kids, getting my business going and maintaining it, etc., all the while building guns.

So now I have found a home: a place to shoot my mouth off, and learn from others, and teach some. The kind of work I expect from myself keeps raising in difficulty and execution; I thrive on the challenge. Without the thrill of this chase, I'd be bored.

On the ALR, and everywhere, we will find members who are at different stages in their lives. Add to this the complication: "What do I want out of my gunbuilding?" Does this mean a hobby, a way to study history, to build a gun you could not afford to buy, to supply friends with neat guns, to seek fame, etc?

Somehow we all need to find satisfaction in our lives, and so many of us are just on the run, frantically looking here and there, when it's been right here inside of us all along, just gotta stop, look and listen long enough to hear the signal.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
Some more thoughts:

A lot of folks don't know about forums, or if they do, they quickly have become dis-enchanted with the quality of information.

The ALR is special in my opinion, in that most of the members take it very seriously, and treat the forum with respect. It it more than a forum, it is a community, and our members appreciate this, having experienced several other forums before settling down here.

I'm getting two posts to your one, Dave.    ::)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:54:15 PM »
Another fine topic for another forum.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
It looks like you went for a three fer not just a two fer.

Its great to have others that a bit with this bug to chew the fat with about this stuff.
I wonder what the rule of thumb is with teaching in your shop with regards to liability insurance. Hate to see some one take off a thumb with the band saw trying to preshape a butt stock Like Herschle does in his video.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:03:50 AM »
 I had a guy that wanted to come over to use the band saw once to cut some bow staves and he made it sound like he wanted free rein to come over when I was gone and I made it clear that this wasn't going to happen. He was alittle bent about not being trusted but I only met him at a SCA event a couple days earlier and expected me to hand over the keys to my shop.  I don't think so.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 09:10:13 AM »
 I think the best plan would be to do some ground school work first before jumping right in to the shop stuff any way.  I have heard that Wallace Gussler was adamant about the use of a student shaped butt stock with the right architecture before settling in to do the carving. This was a difficult thing for me to see early in my building rifle years.  I knew what I liked and built it that way but had no frame of reference other than some vague memories about details I had seen in one of Shumways books I ran into at the Library one day.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 04:22:13 PM »
Dave, it looks like you're talking to yourself again.  ::)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »
Yeah, but now I have engough posts to qualify for the for sale section. ;D ;D ;D
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:28 PM »
Ah, the truth will out.........
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »
Some people just never grow up.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:39:41 PM »
You'll be able to use that line on me.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 12:10:04 AM »

I was quiet for my whole life until I discovered the ALR,

Yea, now look at you...   ;D

"What do I want out of my gunbuilding?" Does this mean a hobby, a way to study history, to build a gun you could not afford to buy, to supply friends with neat guns, to seek fame, etc?

All except for the last two.  It was a life saver for me, almost literally!  What a great hobby this is, you learn so much and meet great folks.  The ALR has become a community like Tom said, not just a forum. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 12:11:45 AM »
I had a guy that wanted to come over to use the band saw once to cut some bow staves and he made it sound like he wanted free rein to come over when I was gone and I made it clear that this wasn't going to happen.

Dave, I sure wouldn't let anyone I just met into my shop either, for liability reasons or otherwise.  It's not a huge well fit shop to begin with, but I've got a thing about other people use my tools (particularly chisels or other personalized bits).  I took a class for wood in wood inlay and marquetry a few years ago and asked the teacher if I could borrow the gouge from class (it was her own tool).  I now understand why she was hesistant to say yes. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 04:36:41 AM »
Hey, Eric, I thought you were gonna give me your Lehigh? Maaaaan, am I bumming.   :'(

lew wetzel

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 10:25:13 PM »
i have learned soooo much from the alr since i joined this forum.it truly is a community of like minded folks..

karwelis

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 10:31:20 PM »
ALR is where its at. the info here has givin me the courage to jump in and build!

karwelis

ironwolf

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »
When I was growing up in my dads shop, it would've taken years and years to learn and even find this kind of information.
This forum means the world to me.
KW