Author Topic: What was your best at 100 yds over the stix??  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

What was your best at 100 yds over the stix??
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:01:31 PM »
Old nosey is wondering what was your best ever 5 shot score over stix at 100 yds with open sights and shaders (or no shaders).  Round ball scoring center of the ball on or touching the scoring ring on a 4 inch 9 ring black with a 2" 10 ring??

At a shoot or even not at a shoot honest score?? ;D :-X

Daryl

Re: What was your best at 100 yds over the stix??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:16:01 AM »
Sorry - never shot off sticks at that range.  I have, on the other hand, obiliterated or stayed inside the edges of a standard rifle target ten ring (probably 2" or maybe 1 3/4" with 5 shots off the bench, several times with the 'big' rifle. Yeah, I know, I should never have traded it off.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:43:54 AM »
Well Roger now I have to dig out my book.

I did a 49-2x back on May 17, 2003 during a practice session.  The target was the standard NMLRA single bull 100 yard x-stick match target.  Haven't
seen a score like that in years since, though I manage now more in the range of 45's to 47's, give or take a point or two now and again.

The rifle was my 1" x 37" - .50 caliber Douglas barrel with the 57sml Lyman peep along with the 17 aml front globe sight.

Load; 75g 2fg Goex - .495 Hornady Ball - .018 Ticking Patch w/TC 1000+ Lube along with a newspaper thin paper patch between the patch and ball, #11 RWS Cap.

Just as a side note I once did a double '50' at our club shoot from 50 yards using the NMLRA double bull x-stick buffalo target - 5 shots each bull;

September 2004 Club X-Stick Shoot

Left Bull...... 50-1x
Right Bull.... 50-2x

The rifle used here for this was my; 1 1/8" x 36" - .50 caliber GMB with adjustable rear sight and shader along with a "pin" front globe sight.

Load; 75g 3fg Goex - .495 Hornady Ball - .018 Ticking Patch w/TC 1000+ Lube along with a newspaper thin paper patch between the patch and ball, #11 RWS Cap.

PINYONE

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »
Forget the stix- 5 years ago a great friend of mine Robert Pfeiffer who now has passed away- did some shooting that makes everything else look easy. He was as good as I have ever seen- we were shooting German Mausers every Sunday afternoon with his Father Herbert on Pensacola Beach FL. We started at 9 years old. The Pfeiffer had 159 such rifles at the time Herbert passed away, most were Sporting Mausers. Bob collected old handguns as well. His favorite was a 1858 Remington revolver that was in brand new condition- tighter than new guns. We had been shooting at our local black powder range, we were the last there. Bob said Pinyone see the 100 yd. target we didn't shoot at- I said yeah- he said get on the scope and watch this- he took his black powder 1858- rested it against the support pole on the shed at 100 yards open sight put 2 side - side in the center of the bulls eye- the bulls eye was blaze orange and the size of a 50 cent piece. He said we will keep that target and his family still has it- most people who use scopes on modern guns are not that good. I guess you can say that German ancestry for detail is in ther genetics.

chapmans

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:19:03 PM »
 Roger,
  I shot a 49-X at 100yds with my X-stick gun in the Lt bench match at the spring shoot 2007 at Friendship, I shot a better score with the opens than with apps.  My son shot a 50-XXXXX at 50yds that year at Grand Valley with the same gun.
 Steve C.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:06:22 PM »
I managed a 49x on this target at Whispering Pines shoot couple weeks ago. 45 caliber 15/16 straight Getz - Club does not allow shaders !  Best ever for me!  I am planning on nailing this target to the ceiling over my bed! ;D