Author Topic: Lube (Hoppes9) consistence.  (Read 3758 times)

beleg2

Lube (Hoppes9) consistence.
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:29:25 AM »
Today I try round balls again with my 58" Kodiak double.
I find that 109 or 115 Gn of powder with the 460 gn REAL bullet shoots fine but I would like to use round ball.
I used precutted round patches lubed with bore butter and shoots just fine almos the same POi of the REAls but a little better.
The only problem was that I have to pound the balls home. After short start them they do not move with seteady force. Too dry lube I presume as I have lubed the patches some weeks ago and they looks dry.
In spite of the pounding the groop looks good.

I decide to try some Hoppes Nš9 nest time and what to know if there is a way to get consistence in lubrication of each patch.
I tryed some time ago in my .50 and I do not get the accuracy I want.

Thanks
Martin

PS: beg your pardon a too long post for a short question.LOL

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Re: Lube (Hoppes9) consistence.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »
With #9 or any of the other liquid type patch lubes, I use a small plastic dispenser bottle of the squeeze type and drip it onto the center of the patch just before loading.  I usually use about seven drips, but the count is probably not all that important as long as it's not too much or too little.

In your previous efforts did you wipe the bore between shots?  With most of the grease type lubes it is much easier to load in a freshly wiped bore.
Mike Lee

Harnic

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:22:05 AM »
I have a small container that holds a hundred or more pre-cut denim patches & I pour a liberal amount of Hoppes #9+ on them, turning them & adding lube over the next couple days until all are thoroughly soaked in lube.  I went shooting yesterday & fired in excess of 50 shots, never needing to wipe at all.  My accuracy stayed consistent all afternoon & the last 20 shots were fired at 100 meters at my small (3.5" dia x 5" long) pipe gong on a chain.  None missed the mark.  My rifle has a 42" x 1" GM 50 cal barrel & my load is a .495 dia ball w/ a .018" denim patch & 73 gr 3f GOEX powder.  Clean up at home was fast & easy.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:30:47 PM by Harnic »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
A well lubed patch and ball should not be difficult to load.  Of course this also depends on patch/ball/lube combination, and excessive fouling from whichever brand/grade of powder you're using.

I'm wondering if you have 'leading' in the bore from shooting the Real bullet?  If tough loading of patch and ball continues today I would suggest getting some 'Shooter's Choice' for removing leading.  Leading in the bore will cause tough loading.

Good luck! :)

beleg2

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:54:04 PM »
Thank for your answers.
Good point on leading, I did not think it.
I will clean the rifle with some bore scruber And try it again.
Thanks
Martin