Author Topic: Have you  (Read 3687 times)

osceola

Have you
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:43:17 AM »
Seen the Rifles Here.. If you have not, I think it is worth a look..

http://www.morphyauctions.com/

Go to Online catalog, and Type in Lot 507... Should take you right there..

The other DWS

Re: Have you
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »
 ???      lot 507 is a brit cartridge shotgun   ???

I went back and used their search function using "flintlock" and a few showed up.

osceola

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »
thanks  whole lot of interesting stuff on their site.

I wish they'd include info on caliber and bore condition. But then few auction sites do; they seem to all treat "kentuckys" as objet's d'art.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:03:26 PM »
  I wish they'd include info on caliber and bore condition. But then few auction sites do; they seem to all treat "kentuckys" as objet's d'art.

I suppose that's because that about all they are now days.
Not many guys, if any, take these guns out and shoot them any longer. I know when I buy a gun my primary concern is what the exterior of the gun looks like. I like to look at several interior things as well; The patchbox cavity, the lock interior works and lock mortise inlet, and I also look at the muzzle to see the bore size and if it's rifled or smooth. These 'looks' are more to determine originality of the parts to the gun, and not functionality. Like if you find a sub 40 cal bore on an 1800ish PA rifle, you better take a closer look at the gun.
Once I have the gun home, I enjoy examining the bore to see the different types and styles of rifling, etc, and usually give it a good cleaning, just because.
A nice bore on a rifle is nice to see, however, shootability of the gun has never been a concern to me.     

I suppose others look at it differently, but to each his own.

John
John Robbins

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »
 "Like if you find a sub 40 cal bore on an 1800ish PA rifle, you better take a closer look at the gun."

Ok,   I'm still real early in my learning curve on this aspect of these things.   Why so?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 02:38:47 AM »
Never say never, but at that time rifle/smooth bores were generally 50 cal or so, since there was still some large game to be shot.
On a 1800ish period rifle a small bore might indicate that the barrel isn't original to the rifle, especially if it isn't a signed one.
John
John Robbins