Author Topic: Iron mounted rifle from 1972  (Read 12359 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Iron mounted rifle from 1972
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »
I thought some of you might be interested in pictures of a rifle made by Wallace Gusler in 1972. I had it on my table at the CLA show and it attracted a lot of interest and comments.

Below is the link to the web page on my site.

Gary

http://flintriflesmith.com/GunshopEraGuns/Wallace_Gusler_Iron_Mounted_Rifle.htm

"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Iron mounted rifle from 1972
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:24:14 PM »
 Thanks for posting the pics, great rifle. Also, that is a nice rack for James City Co.

Tim C.

PS:On second thought that is a nice rack for anywhere. TC
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:23:14 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »
Thanks for adding that one Gary - I got a look at that nice rifle at the show but wish I had much more time.  Wallace was patient enough to stay at the table to the very end of the day on Friday and I got to spend my last half hour or so looking over just a few of the great pieces that you all had on display.  I think I was about the last one out that night.

I like the finish on the iron - as I recall the mounts on that fine iron mounted stepped wrist gun at MESDA had a similar look - almost black. 
I'm not very familiar with blueing techniques, but it seems like it has held up well - can you describe the process a bit more? Was it a traditional formula that you mixed up in the shop and applied cold?  Or was heat used?  Is there anything on the market that would be similar?

Thanks

Guy

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:36:43 PM »
Guy,
I need to start by saying that I have no proof that rust bluing was used on mounts in America. It was used on English double barrels in the 18th century because their soft solder joints and ribs would not stand the heat of the various types of heat blue. I have seen European guns with what appear to be rust blued mounts and barrels.

We did a number of rust blued rifle barrels in the shop at CW while we were still trying to redevelop the charcoal bluing. We felt it was better than browning on an early rifle. My York Co. PA style rifle in Three Centuries has a rust blued barrel.

The rust blue is really simple because it is just like browning with one addition -- the part is boiled in water for a few minutes before each carding. As with browning, the smoothness of the finish depends on how well it is carded. There mounts were carded after fairly short rusting cycles and so vigorously that there was no detectable "drag" on the surface. This produces a hard, dense, smooth rust and the final application of hot wax makes it very resistant to additional rust.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:55:04 PM »
That is some mighty fine work that stands the test of time.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:44:15 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics for us Gary. It's a beauty.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 01:28:49 AM »
Great rifle.  Beautifly done and clean as a whistle.  Does Wallace sign all of his guns to read to the Lock Bolt side? 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline gibster

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:05:32 AM »
Great looking rifle.  Something about Iron mounted rifles that just trips my trigger  ;D
Ken - I don't know if all of his rifles were signed to read from the lock bolt side or not.  But here is a picture of the signature of the one that I have, and it is signed that way.  If interested in more pictures of the one that I have, just let me know and I'll post them.  It's not Iron mounted, but is still a nice one.
Gibster.

Marty

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 02:27:35 AM »
Gibster

I will second that, Iron mounted guns are sweet!

Marty

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 04:30:23 AM »
Gibster - I'd love to see more pictures.........
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Photog

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:39 AM »
I really like the way the blued box looks. I love rust blueing, it stands the test of time to me. I've had a few 50-100 year old guns that were rust blued, and I could just sit and look at them all day. Which was good, because I never saw anything while hunting with them, it gave me something to do.

long carabine

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
 Can I chime in? Iron mounted guns are beautiful! Thanks, tim

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »
Can I chime in? Iron mounted guns are beautiful! Thanks, tim
I second that about the iron mounted pieces seems as though they were the workhorses of their time.  I build 'em and love to shoot them still more ;D

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »
Guy,
I need to start by saying that I have no proof that rust bluing was used on mounts in America. It was used on English double barrels in the 18th century because their soft solder joints and ribs would not stand the heat of the various types of heat blue. I have seen European guns with what appear to be rust blued mounts and barrels.

We did a number of rust blued rifle barrels in the shop at CW while we were still trying to redevelop the charcoal bluing. We felt it was better than browning on an early rifle. My York Co. PA style rifle in Three Centuries has a rust blued barrel.

The rust blue is really simple because it is just like browning with one addition -- the part is boiled in water for a few minutes before each carding. As with browning, the smoothness of the finish depends on how well it is carded. There mounts were carded after fairly short rusting cycles and so vigorously that there was no detectable "drag" on the surface. This produces a hard, dense, smooth rust and the final application of hot wax makes it very resistant to additional rust.

Gary

Gary this might be worth looking into deeper -
Pennsylvania Gazette:
Perkin and Coutty at the corner of second and Spruce Streets, Philadelphia, beg leave to acquaint their friends, and Public in general that they carry on the Gun and Pistol making in all it’s branches, where gentlemen may be supplied with Guns and pistols of the neatest and best quality, on the shortest notice and most reasonable terms. They also blue and brown gun barrels In the neatest manner….. May 2, 1781
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 01:12:37 AM »
I am very familiar with that ad but I have always thought it refered to charcoal bluing, which was common.

An Essay on Shooting, London in 1789 is definately is refering to the switch from charcoal bluing to browning.

Gary

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 05:30:40 AM »
Gary,
I spent far too little time looking at that rifle at the CLA show, (and the dim light over your table didn't help).  Those pics show some great, interesting details.  Thanks for posting them.
Very neat rifle!
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

lew wetzel

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
gary,i took a pic of wallices rifle from your table at the cla show and larry has that pic on his website.that was the highlight of the day for me was to meet you and handle wallices rifle.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 06:20:06 AM »
Ain't that a thing of beauty?! Wow!