Author Topic: Molded bullet pouch  (Read 1060 times)

Offline flatsguide

Molded bullet pouch
« on: November 28, 2023, 08:17:30 AM »
I’d like to make a molded bullet pouch by carving a form and pressing/stretching the leather over said form. I’m planning on just using one symmetrical form and pulling both halves from it and after trimming sewing both halves together with a baseball stitch. I have a few pieces of nice veg tanned leather that’s a .150” thick or around 8 oz. the pouch will be around 4x6 inches and was wondering if the leather I have is too thick. If it is how does one thin it down...orbital sander with 36 grit???
Thanks Richard

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: Molded bullet pouch
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 01:07:56 PM »
Are you wanting to build a round ball pouch, which is wet formed so that the shape stay even if it's empty? Or are you wanting to make just a pouch with drawstring to close the top? These are usually made with soft and pliable leather like elk, moose and sometimes thick buck skin.

The wet formed ball bags very often are made to resemble turtles with the dispensing end where the head would be. The person to ask about things like this goes by Cut Fingers. I will look for a pattern or a how to video in the meantime.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 02:55:20 PM »
survival.net/forums/showthread.php?11342-More-wet-forming-Leather-holster-ball-bag&s=126fc5fc2ac4ac0715272b598a9e3836

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/19782-wet-formed-bag-tutorial/
https://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/30-leatherworker-board/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 03:12:35 PM by Bull Shannon »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 07:08:54 PM »
Tim, Bull thank you for the reply and the links. It will be a molded form and the shape will be similar to a English powder flask with no “legs” or like a “turtle” flask. It will be for round balls, .58 caliber. A turned insert will be inserted into the mouth of the flask and a stopper too. I want it stiff or rigid to hold its shape. I’m a bit concerned that the leather I have may be too thick at .150” or 8 oz. What do you think? If it’s too thick how can I thin down the leather to maybe around .125”?
Thanks Richard

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 01:43:06 AM »
My advice is to save the 8 oz leather for another project and buy some 3-4 oz leather instead.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 05:29:22 PM »
Yeah, you’re probably right Bull.
Thanks Richard