Author Topic: Not Asking For Much, Just Blood  (Read 16160 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Not Asking For Much, Just Blood
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »
For the last seveal years I have been fasinated and curious about many of the members of this forum sharing the same last name's with gunsmiths of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. I have been introduced to a couple of members over the internet that have shared with me their family ties with some of the old smiths and have found this aspect of gun collecting and my love for the longrifle to have a much closer connection to the history of these awesome works. Just going through a couple of books, I run across the names Altland, Boone, Brooks, Chambers, Clark, Cook, Dillin, Getz, Heckert, Kline, Martin, Miller, Snyder...just to name a few. There are several more. I was hoping that those who share in the bloodlines with these historic gunsmiths would share with us the stories of your family's tree's.
Joel Hall

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
Re: Not Asking For Much, Just Blood
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
There's a Sheets too. 

hoochiejohn

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »
Also, several Shreckengost's, or Shreckengost relatives.  Five of my eight sets of g-g-g-grandparents share bloodlines with William G. Shreckengost of Putneyville.  ???  Convoluted tree perhaps, but one never knows what branch you may be clinging to! ::)

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 05:31:39 PM »
As I said, a lot more names than I had briefly listed. One question to all of the relatives.....Is it your family history and ties that has inspired your interest in longrifle collecting\building\shooting? Or has black powder infected you as it has me and so many others?
Joel Hall

hoochiejohn

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »
For me, the affliction began at an early age...Davy Crockett, the first movie I ever saw!  From there, the fascination with history and "smokepoles" has been an infection without any known cure! ;D, the only relief being more sulphur smoke and winter winds! ;) 

Offline b bogart

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
My wife's maiden name is Loucks, think Simon Lauck. Her family hails from the Wommelsdorf area. They have done the family tree thing but I haven't checked it out for this. Not the reasonI am involved. I also had a boss whose last name was Moll. Might be??

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:42:44 PM »
Boone from Berks County PA and then Huntington twp OH.  GGG-Grandfather was apparently one of Daniel Boones uncles who did not move south. GG-Grandfather apparently Went from Berks to Carlisle, to western PA and then OH finally in about 1810. My father, born there in 1900 came to CA after WWI.

So close enough that the D Boone legend started my interest in Flintlocks. When a kid read all the frontiersman type books, Cooper, Altshuler etc... The Long Rifle...... Had to wait til I was 59 to get my first one....a little slow...
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »
My Grandma who reared me was a "Creasy" from Bedford, County, Virginia, born in 1890. There was a "Creasy" gunmaker, but I have no idea if there is a relation.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 02:11:32 AM »
I don't share the last name but John Gillespie (my GGG GF), his son William (my GG GF, his son John Harvey (my G Grand Uncle) were Gun Makers in NC. Plus a GG Grand Uncle Mathew Gillespie and his 5 sons (my cousins), and several other assorted cousins were all VA/NC/GA/SC gunmakers ranging from the mid-1700's to the late 1800's. All of these were on my fathers side. On my mother's side I had one late 1800's builder also in NC, his name was Snipes, have never seen one of his rifles.

I built and shot center fire rifles until the late 1980's then around 2002 I got into shooting and building flintlocks, mostly because of the study of my heritage and my love of guns.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Carper

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 02:56:40 AM »
My mother was a Carper, when the family came from Germany before the Revolution the name was Korper . They were blacksmiths in the Lancaster PA area.  The Carpers and the Becks( Pecks) married back and forth for several generations and  came down the Shenandoah Valley to Fincastle, Boutetort Co VA in the early 1800's. There my line split and came to south western Virginia and added gunmaking to their resume. They traded a well described rifle for some of the land they aquired in about the  1830's . Full stocked with 'swirly" chestnut, a pan gun, heavy inlaid with  designs cut from mussel shells from the New River ( mother of pearl). Federal Cavalry burnt the gunshop during the Civil War. The Carpers made rifles in competition with the Honakers, Millers, and Polks up until about the second world war. Some of their early work was quite nice. The rifle known as the silver squirrel has some coin silver inlays with copper stars inlaid into the silver as well as the cap box. It has a long silver inlay running the entire  comb  line of the stock. It was on the cover of one of the NRA magizines a few years back. I moved their shop to my farm ( about ten miles) and now just work on rifles for fun.   Johnny

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 03:52:07 AM »
Well, there were a bunch of Barnetts making rifles and trade guns in England in the 18th century and after, but I don't think I'm any relation. I've wanted for a long time to make a replica of one of those Birmingham copies of Lancaster rifles made during the Revolution for the Indian allies of Britain, just so I can call it a genuine Barnett gun.  :D
On the other hand, someone doing some research on the Miller family of Tennessee got in contact with my Grandmother, nee Miller, and in the course of the conversation mentioned that she was a direct descendant of Daniel Boone. I never saw the documentation, so I can't confirm that, but I am inclined to believe it given that it fits what I know about the dispersal of Boone's family and was a recent discovery and not a family tradition. I had already built my first rifle when I heard that, though - it must be in the DNA!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »
Hey Dennis, don't forget your "Cousin" Billy, several times removed, down in Union County! He's a direct decencent of John Gillespie, too, and he is carrying on with the Gillespie tradition making fine flintlocks!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
In looking back at my family tree, my great grandfather, Henry Getz, married a Catherine Specht.   Catherine had a brother by the name of Adam Specht, who fathered, among others, thee sons.....namely Adam, Elias, Moses......all three
of these brothers became gunbuilders in the town of Beavertown (where our barrel shop is located).   Bear in mind that
my grandfather, Isaac, was a first cousin to these Specht boys, and lived in Beaver Springs, just two miles west of Beavertown.   I still own that fancy "fox face" hunting bag which we attribute to Isaac.   Who knows, these cousins could
have hunted together.   I was born and grew up in the old Isaac Getz house, which, by the way, is only about one mile,
as the crow flies, from where Joe Long lived and worked.   I also know from journals kept by my grandfather that he on
occassion would go hunting with Joe Long.   I often thought that maybe my gunbuildiing genes came from the Specht side
of the family.............Don

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
Hey Dennis, don't forget your "Cousin" Billy, several times removed, down in Union County! He's a direct decencent of John Gillespie, too, and he is carrying on with the Gillespie tradition making fine flintlocks!
Yep and he builds nice rifle's!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 11:08:59 PM »
I have had contacts with the Slonaker family and "returned" a rifle by George to them. Also contacts with 2 Benson (W.VA) family relative groups. Also Bonewitz relatives.
Hurricane

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 03:13:40 AM »
I keep looking for an old gunsmith named "Immel".  So far, no luck.  My direct ancestors were millers in the 18th century in Hessen-Cassel.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Loudy

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 03:15:05 AM »
Gunsmith Wilhelm "William" Laudenslager (1817-1882) from Salem & New Berlin , Union / Snyder County, PA was my GGGG Grandfather.   Sometime about 1855 he relocated to Ohio where he set up shop between Carey and Findlay on edge of the Wyandot / Hancock County line.  Below is some biographical information regarding the known gunsmiths in my family tree.  I'm always interested in any information anyone can provide regarding these gunsmiths and the rifles they built. 

Mark Loudenslager

Samuel H. St. Clair b.1793  d.1849Believed to have apprenticed nephews Samuel & William Laudenslager.  May have also taught John Laudenslager.  Worked in Kratzerville, Union (now Snyder) Co. near New Berlin.  Signed rifles in script letters S*S or S. H. St. Clair.  A nice signed St. Clair rifle sold recently at the big Morphy's auction.     

John Laudenslager b. 1803 d. 1879Was an older cousin of Samuel & William Laudenslager.  Worked in Snyder Co. until abt. 1834 then removed west to Portage Co., OH.  In his later years he was more of a farmer than a gunsmith.  Had a son Jacob that also followed to gunsmith trade to some limited degree. 

Samuel J. Loudenslager b. 1812 d. 1891
William Laudenslager's older brother.  Worked in Union Co. before setting up shop in Juniata Co. near Mexico.  He was the most active Laudenslager gunsmith.  Many of his rifles have survived.  He signed his rifles in script letters S*L .  He made several swivel-breech guns.  A few Sam Laudenslager rifles sold at the recent Morphy auction.   

Wilhem "William" Laudenslager b. 1817 d. 1882
Samuel's younger brother.  Worked in Union / Snyder County for several years.  Sometime between 1850 & 1860 he removed west to Wyandot County, OH.  Seems to have done as much farming as he did gun building.  A few rifles signed W*L have been attributed to William Laudenslager.     

John George Ulrich b. 1820 d. 1888
A second cousin to the Laudenslager gunsmiths.  Belived to have apprenticed under Sam Laudenslager.  Worked in Juniata Co. with Sam Laudenslager before opening his own shop in Shamokin Dam in Snyder Co.  Signed his rifle in script letters JG*U .  His rifles seem to be few and far between.       

Jacob Loudenslager b. 1828 d. 1906
Oldest son of John Laudenslager.  Early census records list Jacob's occupation as gunsmith.  However, after 1860 it seems he was mostly a farmer.  He moved from Union Co., PA to Portage Co. OH with his parents in 1834.  He left Ohio abt 1875 and settled in Allegan Co., MI.   

Henry Laudenslager b. 1839 d. 1912
Said to have learned the gunsmith trade from his cousin William Laudenslager.  Had a gunsmith shop for many years in Fair Oak, Snyder Co., PA. 

keweenaw

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »
John Schneider of the 1776 rifle was my GGG Grandfather.

Tom

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »
I once owned a rifle attributed to one of the Schneider's. Possibly John. It was of the Lehigh/Allentown/Allemeingle school. Pretty cool to find such a piece in NW lower Michigan. Quite a ways from it's PA origins. It had rested under an old mans bed for many a year. But then again......Tom, you ended up in the great white north yourself!
Joel Hall

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »
A very interesting thread! Amazing where genealogy takes us. I am related through my mothers family to George Buzzard (original spelling Bussard) a gunsmith & lock smith who worked in
Lower Mount Bethel Township, Northampton Co. Pa. in the 18th & 19th century's. His father George may also  have been in the trade.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 08:41:17 PM »
Always was interested in antiques.  Saw the Schrecengost rifles in the Heinz Museum in Pittsburgh.  Knew my g grandmother was a Schrecengost.
Started the research, met a man with 10 of their rifles, I was hooked.  It's the history that is compelling to me.  Over the last 10 months, I've learned more about who I am and where I came from than I ever believed possible.
My gg grandparents were both Schrecks.  The workmanship from a time when things were typically crude is inspiring.  Truly artists of their time.  They brought art to function.  Think about it.  In the 20th Century, some men think they are judged by what they drive.  I'm assuming these men thought they were judged by the gun they carried.  It was probably their most valued possession other than land and livestock.  It would have to be given the time and relative money they spent to have a nice rifle.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:22:02 AM by suzkat »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Seven

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 10:02:42 PM »
My wife's mother's family is from the Bethlehem area.  Part of her blood line is Schuler.  Still working on finding out whether or not she's related to John.  But I like to say she is.
-Chad Wawrzynaik from the Pennsylvania Dutch Wawrzyniaks  :-0

realtorone

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 12:51:33 AM »
"Seven" My Grandmothers people were" Shular " from N.Carolina They desended from Michael Shuler b 1742 Philadrlphia PA. I've been trying to find a connection to the Shuler gunsmiths.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
 A relative of Peter Neihart has joined the ALR community.
Hurricane

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 05:52:31 PM »
I will also add the connections made from the Shell family with much new information already added to the museum. Many thanks to you Bill LePard!
Joel Hall