Author Topic: Underhammer Flintlock  (Read 21255 times)

Offline Kermit

Re: Underhammer Flintlock
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 06:19:56 PM »
Sorta destroys the question of where in the pan the prime charge should rest. Certainly can't bank it against the touch hole! ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »
Brent,
Null B is priming powder mades by Swiss.  Thay also make a 4fg priming powder.  In timing experiments, Null b is the fastest prime we have, followed in order by Swiss 4fg, Goex 4fg, 3fg, 2fg, 1fg, cannon, etc.  (I hope to get at a comparison test of Null B and some 7fg that "Frizzen"  (list member) gave me.)

I suspect you're right about a sawdust box.  There is considerable set up involved in getting a pic of a paper patch separating.  I won't say I can't do it,  but it's  tougher than a cloth patch.  With help I think I could repeat the cloth patch pic in a good afternoon.   With paper patch there is some trial and error work to do  that has already done with cloth.

Metalshaper,
 The cannon pieces that fell to the table are those that were released first by the frizzen or that were not impeaded by the frizzen.  In some cases the ball of fire expands and burns some of them.  In timing tests, Goex cannon is roughly twice as slow as Null B.  If lock ignitions are within the normal .0400 - .0500 second range it won't matter what priming you use up-side-down.  But, my gut says that you don't want to use 2fg or larger.

Sorta destroys the question of where in the pan the prime charge should rest. Certainly can't bank it against the touch hole!

Oh , but I do.  Against the vent is 15-25% faster than banked away.  I haven't timed up-side-down vents though, but the closer the prime is to the vent the faster the barrel ignition.  I have a web page on that too.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
Catching a paper patched bullet in your garage would not be too difficult with a sawdust box.

Larry, just in case the sawdust doesn't completely stop the bullet, I'd park the Double A off to the side.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 07:48:59 PM »
Now, on to vent location for an underhammer.....

Do you put the vent as high as you can go? That would make it at the bottom of the pan if you turn the gun upside down.

Or mid-pan, or even a little lower, as to be obscured by the frizzen edge?

Offline BrentD

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
Catching a paper patched bullet in your garage would not be too difficult with a sawdust box.

Larry, just in case the sawdust doesn't completely stop the bullet, I'd park the Double A off to the side.

8 ft of oiled sawdust will stop a 550 gr bullet launched at over 1400 fps.  Every time.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 08:24:10 PM »
That reminds me of the time I wanted to test for pressure signs in my Sharps 45 x 3 1/4".  With a full case of powder and a 500 full jacketed Hornady bullet, I knew I needed something to stop the bullet, but I thought the twenty-four inch diameter spruce stump on which my anvil sits would do the trick.  After all, a round ball only goes in a couple of inches.  So, when the house was empty, I put on my ear muffs, stepped back about ten feet from the stump, aimed at the middle and touched it off.  The concussion cleared the rafters of twenty years worth of shop dust, but there was considerable more dust in the air than I thought reasonable.  The bullet completely penetrated the stump, exploded a new ten pound bag of kitty litter, and stopped on the far side of an eight inch square timber in the corner of the shop that just happened to be in the path.  Apart from the rifling marks on the bullet, there was no other damage.  And, no signs of excessive pressure.  Now I could see why I never recovered the bullet from a moose.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
Since we are pretty far from underhammer flintlocks,  I will move my paper patch bullet photo reply to "Black Powder Shooting".

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 09:18:43 PM »
Bookie,
One of the under hammer flint photos I found was included in Metalshaper's post.  Here is one that shows a neat pistol but may not show enough of the action to be useful.  

Regards,
Pletch
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:23:04 PM by Larry Pletcher »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 01:04:27 AM »
Gentlemen, I thank you for the photos.  That last pistol is certainly a work of art to me.  Altogether, they do give me some idea on which way to travel with this project.  Several times, I have fired Siler flints upside down after priming, cocking, putting my thumb over the notch in the pan for the vent, and then drenching it under a running faucet to convince customers that a well tuned and properly maintained flinter is just as reliable as percussion.  So the pan emptying too soon was not one of my concerns at all.  I have seen the in line flinter made in the 1760s, but that is something beyond my metal fabricating skills and personal interests.  Brother Dan hits the nail on the head with me, because I like to fool with the unusual, most probably to feed my ego by telling myself 'I did it'.  ;D  Now I gotta go find me that book.........Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 01:38:13 AM »
Bookie,
One of the under hammer flint photos I found was included in Metalshaper's post.  Here is one that shows a neat pistol but may not show enough of the action to be useful.  

Regards,
Pletch

Seems this is pretty much a standard box lock design turned upside down.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 11:18:52 PM »
I agree with you, Jim.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 05:36:49 AM »
It's pretty hard to see the sights on a standard boxlock, unless you have a scope mounted on the side.

John Ciccone

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
I was at friendship in Spring of 2017. A guy showed me his underhammer flint pistol. He said that Null B was too fine and tended to be too easily dispersed by the breeze, but 4FFFF worked just fine. He refused to sell the gun to me. Ok, I' m a bit crazy, but so is everyone else on this list...delightfully so.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 02:22:15 AM »
Groove yard of forgotten posts..... ;) NOT a sidelock....just thought I'd mentioned that. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 02:26:35 AM »
Yes Mike I was about to post this and was told there was a new reply.

Ok guys this was a 7 yr old topic that pre-dates our side lock only rules. I am going to lock this to keep it from being revived.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:31:15 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson