Author Topic: Jaegers in the Revolutionary War  (Read 10578 times)

TNhunter

Jaegers in the Revolutionary War
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:44:49 AM »
I will start off by saying I am long time hunter.  I have never built a muzzleloader.  I was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago.  Take it from me, when you are at home day after day you do reach the end of the internet several times over.  I was working on genealogy and found that one of my ancestors fought in the revolutionary war after immigrating here from Germany.  In his will, he left 2 cows and the rifle he brought from Germany to one of his sons.  This gave me the idea to try and build a gun representative of what he may have had.  What kit type product would you recommend.  I am thinking that I will use the track of the wolf jaeger kit.  I am now back to work after 20 months, and am ready to get started on this project.

squire

Re: Jaegers in the Revolutionary War
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:59:59 AM »
TN I don't have a recommendation but think it's a great idea, and I respect the effort you went through to rejoin the workforce.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:07:23 AM »
Cool story, and great plan.  You will certainly want to go with a European style since it was one that was brought over.  You will probably want to get Walnut.  There are otehr kits out there as well.  RE Davis has a good looking one. 

Keep us posted.

Coryjoe

Offline Glenn

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:24:12 AM »
Personally I think a jeager or maybe an Issac Haines would be in order.  I agree with using walnut if you choose the jaeger.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 05:22:34 AM »
TN,

First of all, I wish you well in your battle with cancer.  I pray you have beat it completely and for evermore.

You have a great idea!  The devil is in the details.  Do you know what part of Germany your distant kin were from?  Different parts of Germany had different "schools" gun-making - every bit as much has here in the American colonies.  Consequently, a person coming over from southern Germany would have a slightly different style of gun that one from the north.  Shumway has a book on the German rifle heritage that shows typical guns from different regions of Europe.  You might want to take a look at those first to get an idea of what you like and what might have been appropriate.

Then - just how authentic do you want this gun to be?  If authenticity is the prime concern you will be astonished at the craftmanship of the 18th century gunmakers!  Jaeger rifles are not easy builds!  European walnut is expensive.  You need to have reasonable expectations.  So do some research first to find the type and style of gun first.  Get a couple of the building manuals - the techniques for building American longrifles are very applicable to Jaeger rifles.  You will also need some first rate tools.  This could be a lengthy journey - but one well worth taking!

Best Regards, 

JMC

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:08:19 PM »
If your looking for ideas of what a German rifle would have looked like go to the German auction house www.hermann-historica.de (their version of Christies) and check out their closed out auctions... (translate site to English by pressing the English flag upper right or left) lots of really good pictures and they have sold literally hundreds of pre 1770s Jaeger type rifles from plain to insanely fancy. 

Another option is Shumway's book on the subject.   http://www.shumwaypublisher.com/store/shop/item.asp?itemid=21&catid=3

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »
TN

It is really super that you are doing the research first on the family rifle from Germany.  I encourage you do be very thorough in your research before buying components, your time and effort will be wisely invested.

Also, if it is possible, try to examine original German rifles first hand.  I find that the 2 dimensional photos really do not convey the correct "feel" of these guns.  They are much more 3 dimensional than photos show.   Do not think of them as just a "short Kentucky".  Anyway, to show myself to be a hypocrite, here are some photos of a German rifle, Brandenburg or Berlin style.

Jim Everett

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:50:48 PM by James Wilson Everett »

TNhunter

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:38 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I plan on doing something simple.  I dont know much about my ancestors, other than the few things I have discussed.  I am planning on a simple rifle.  Since I am poor (LOL), I figuring they were also, at least that is the story I am going to tell.  I am imagining a piece that will be less ornate, sort of a poor mans hunting rifle of the period.  Thanks again for all of the replies.  I will keep you updated as I do more planning.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »
Hi TN:  I too have a "Hessian" ancestor, but they weren't all from Hesse.  Most of us here are interested in our long rifle heritage so we look to jaegers as our best representative as our Pennsylvania rifles descend from them.  Building a jaeger would be a natural though, especially as we don't really know much about the muskets the grenadier or fusilier companies and we are "longrifle" folks.  All of the jaeger companies from the various German states contracted by the British were combined into a single jaeger corps and were engaged as a single unit.  I think you would really like a military type jaeger with a walnut stock.  There are two decent plans available.  One is the Pistor jaeger and the other is the Ansbach jaeger.  Neither are very ornate as they were for war service and were produced in numbers.  I think the Rifle Shoppe has the plans for both as do some other suppliers.  The Rifle Shoppe has lock kits for both types if you can get them from them in a reasonable time.  In a similar vein, if you are interested in the jaeger activities in the Revolution I suggest that you get a copy of Johan Ewald's "Diary of the American War" as it devoted to the jaeger corps.  It has well drawn maps and the translation seems to be pretty good.

Curt Larsen 

Story

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I plan on doing something simple.  I dont know much about my ancestors, other than the few things I have discussed.  I am planning on a simple rifle.  Since I am poor (LOL), I figuring they were also, at least that is the story I am going to tell.  I am imagining a piece that will be less ornate, sort of a poor mans hunting rifle of the period.  Thanks again for all of the replies.  I will keep you updated as I do more planning.

Here's a photo of my Pistor Jaeger, built (not by me) from a Rifle Shoppe kit.

http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/german_arms/(510).htm

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
Good Morning, I think you will find your project a fascinating one. I got interested in Jaeger Rifles back in 1983 and have been focusing on that subject since. I'd be very happy to share what I know of parts and Kits. I have taught the Germanic Flintlock class at the NMLRA seminars since 2008 and have created parts sets from four original Jaegers.  Some of your decision making will revolve about how authentic your desire your project to be. The TOW is a generic Rifle based on a grouping of parts. It has no real regional style.  Jim Chambers will have a new Jaeger lock out soon that will set a new standard of excellence for authenticity and function. This would be a great basis to start your project.  It your situation permits you might consider attending the NMRLA seminar in June.  It would be a very rewarding and educational experience.  Give me a call some evening and we can chat further about your project.  541-858-2800

Tony Clark

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »
Ron, you are a true master gunmaker in my opinion as reflected by your work. Folks are lucky to be able to attend your class at Bowling Green. When I was down there I was always awed at Ron Ehlerts work... I never attended a class of his, but he taught me a few  things that I consider to very important things in my gun building philosophy. It's good to see you teaching there.....

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 01:03:48 AM »
Here are a couple low res pix of a jaeger that belonged to a colonial Revolutionary War soldier from the Mohawk Valley of NY.  It belonged to a Vrooman who was an officer.  It's not clear whether he picked it up at a battlefield or it was his personal arm.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 03:02:45 AM »
Rich,

Do you know how long the barrel is on that rifle?
Mark Thomas

The other DWS

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
looks to be about 6 times as long as the lock as a rough guestimate

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 06:02:30 AM »
Guessing 18", maybe 20.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kermit

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 06:17:45 AM »
Just eyeballing--it looks to be a bit less than double the LOP. Maybe 20-25"?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
Rich;  That jaeger is a real beaut.  Is it in a private collection, or yours?  Are there better photos available anywhere?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 10:02:37 PM »
I wish I had more info.  It came up at auction and the estimated price was higher than I could manage so I did not bid.  here is the description:

Important American associated flintlock Jaeger rifle, ca. 1740, 36” overall with a 21-1/4” barrel of approx. 68 caliber rifled, museum type plaque affixed to bottom of stock is engraved in script “No. 6 Cap.t J. Vrooman’s rifle, Recovered by his friends”; trigger guard shows an 18th or 19th century inscription which is very light and reads “Taken from Walter Butler’s Indians, 30th day of Oct’b 1781”. Rifle is in good original condition with extensive research and documentation, including duMont inventory. The Jaeger shows brown patina original finish with light to moderate erosion and pin prick pitting, wood is good with typical German styling and carving showing some breaks and small losses around top edge, but generally good overall, with simple handmade wood ramrod and in original flintlock configuration (hammer screw probably an old replacement); there is a silver plaque inlaid at the wrist which has been polished. Many handwritten letters are included which date back to the 1940’s tracing the Vrooman family and documenting the purchase by John S. duMont in the 1960’s from a relative. Tunis Vrooman was from Albany County, New York, and was a veteran of the French & Indian War, who was appointed Captain in the Albany county Militia during the Revolution in Col. Jacob Sternberger’s Albany County regiment. He was killed by Indians Aug. 9, 1780, in a raid on the Scholharie Valley by Joseph Brant. Brant killed Tunis and his wife and took his rifle, according to duMont’s notes, which he cites “Public papers of George Clinton, Vol. 6, 1902. Also according to duMont’s notes and letters, apparently the rifle was installed in the Schoharie Valley Historical society, who installed the engraved plaque on the rifle. Est.: $7,500-$15,000.
Andover, Vermont