Author Topic: Build more?  (Read 10234 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Build more?
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
Now then please think about this some til you respond.  And you will not hurt anyones feelings. If you were 80+ years would you build any more rifles?  This is assuming you are not doing it as a part time occupation and have been doing it to keep yourself well supplied with ML guns and rifles. ??? Also, you do intend to keep shooting them til!!!

Offline Longknife

Re: Build more?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
If it feels good----DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
Ed Hamberg

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
The way I look at it. My goal. As long as I can still see, and as long as I don't shake too much to carve, as long as I still can afford to buy parts and as long as my rifles still sell for more than it cost me for parts, and finally as long as my carcass remains at 98.6 degrees and I can still remember to zip my fly, then I will likely continue to build rifles.

The alternative is to sit and watch TV all day or spend all my time at a bar working on destroying my liver.

Getting old is really starting to get old. Just had my second cataract surgery yesterday, hoping for great, er good results.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:48:33 PM »
Roger, what else you gonna do?

If your main objective is to chase girls, then I can't steer you away from that. But for any other reason, no, please do keep building.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:41 PM »
As long as it's still fun I'd do it in order to have cash to buy toys. If it wasn't fun I'd go fishing..... I'd probably just go fishing most of the time I guess. Wait, that's what I'm already doing. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

NSBrown

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:24:24 PM »
Keep building. Think of your rifles as footprints you leave behind that will keep your memory alive long after you've gone. Your work will be noted by generations well beyond your own.

Sign your work. Imagine how happy we would be if every existing rifle could be attributed.

Stop only if you don't love doing it anymore.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »
Roger, you've got a few years on me for curtain, but I have already thought of the question...How long am I going to be able to work?  My intentions now, at 63, is to build 'til I can't.  In that department, I have laid up parts sets and inventory to keep me going for quite a while, and I am taking a page out of Brian Dancey's wonderful book, and continue to accumulate more.  Over my lifetime, I have been inspired by many types of muzzle loading guns, and I'd like to have one of each.  Yes, it's probably not possible, but I'm willing to try.  You have a gift and should milk it for all it's worth.  You have to have a reason to get out of bed in the morning.  I can't think of one much better.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »
I have to echo Taylor's comment, keep building until you can't.

Even if you can't remember to zip your fly...

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Habu

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »
One of my early shooting mentors was a shooter and builder.  He was also about 60 years older than me.  When his health had pretty much robbed him of his ability to shoot competitively, he coached, and he built rifles.  It brought him satisfaction throughout his retirement. 

Two days before he passed, he freaked out his home health nurse by test-firing his last rifle into the fireplace.  I don't think he ever considered not building as long as he could, and so he did.  He did slow down somewhat, and started only having one or two builds in progress at a time, but that was mostly because he didn't want to leave a bunch of half-finished guns to be completed by someone else 9who might not finish them the way he planned. 

billd

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
Roger, 
You're only as old as you allow yourself to believe.  At 81 you have the right to do whatever pleases' you.  Just stay active, don't turn into a couch potato.   You need a hobby.   Something to consider if you do decide to leave the work bench is bungee jumping or downhill ski racing.  Both will keep your mind and body occupied.

Bill

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
You are getting good information.  It is important to your health to keep doing something as long as you can.

Jeff Peters

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 10:43:40 PM »
Rodger,
Keep building as long as it's still fun.
The other thing to concider is finding some youngster to mentor to that needs your expertise

Jeff Peters

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »
Jeff, that last bit is fabulous advice and philosophy.  I have a lifetime accumulation of great stuff for building rifles.  When I'm finished with the shop, and it won't be 'cause of lack of interest, I need to have someone to pass everything to.  There is such a lad in his mid twenties, here, who is worthy.  His partner would also benefit greatly as she too wants to build her own rifles.  Over the next few years, I am going to cultivate that relationship, and we'll see where it goes.
Can you imagine seeing your life's accomplishment laid out on garage sale tables.  I can't!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

dbraw

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 11:06:14 PM »
I'm 73 and and have built 49 muzzleloaders. Seems like I learn something new on this forum everyday. I often wonder how those original builders shared ideas.
Dan

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
Roger,

I think it was Don Getz who told me that building rifles will put lead in your pencil........... Nuff said!  :o :o
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »
Roger,

I have begun to start asking that question and you're almost old enough to be my father!

I might build 2 more guns for myself; OK, maybe 4.  But I already have plans in the works to segue into building for others.  I once was at a rendezvous and saw this kid was tagging along with his uncle, an aquaintance of mine.  So I asked the two of them if the youngster wanted a gun to shoot.  I had a scaled down little rifle in my lodge (a Numrich Arms Minuteman rifle cut down to 19 inch barrel and 10 inch LOP)that wasn't being used.  The uncle said he would love to teach his nephew to shoot but didn't have a rifle small enough.  Well, about 5 minutes later he did, along with patches and shot.  At the end of the rendezvous they came back to my lodge with the little rifle, as clean as it had ever been, and I just told them it was theirs.  They were flabergasted but after a little convincing they decided to keep that little rifle.  That little boy is now in his 20s and shoots with my club.

So my advice is build as long as it is fun.  If you find that you don't "need" another rifle, build one for a youngster that does. 

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »
Hi Roger,
I wish I knew you well enough to read between the lines.  Do you have some competing interest that you want to spend time doing?  Are you thinking about retiring from retirement?  Are you afraid that you might become incompacitated and cannot complete a project?  In that case, for those of us not buildling as a business, is the final product the reason to build a gun or is it the joy in the process of buildling that really matters?  I guess I will keep buildling and shooting as long as I can but we are all different and have different priorities.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike New

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 12:15:43 AM »
Mr. Fisher, I lost my Dad 1 month ago to cancer. He was 72 and was still working until he could not get out of bed (about 1 1/2 months ago). He did not have any hobbies and the last weeks were spent just laying in bed. I have no proof but I truly believe if he would have had something to finish he last days would have been more enjoyable. Keep building and posting. I for one enjoy your views and would like to see your guns. Mike New

Offline sydney

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 12:38:23 AM »
Roger--keep building--i know several people that retired and sold there tools
           now they just sit and watch tv--i seem to always have several projects
           on the drawing board so when i finish the current one i just
           keep going-its a good reason to get up in the morning
              sydney

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 12:47:22 AM »
Whatever it is you do, whether it's building muzzleloaders, playing golf, fishing, hunting, gardening, do it as long as you enjoy it.
Eric Smith

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 01:51:26 AM »
Roger........I'm only about two years behind you, but I have run into a wall.   I'm now building a pistol for a friend way up
in Alberta, Canada.    It is completely shaped, has the barrel pinned in, lock is in, trigger is in place & works real well.
I picked up a trigger guard at Dixon's, but I haven't done anything to it in a week.   I've found that I really have to push
myself to do anything to it.   I have to fit that triggerguard, sights, and two ramrod pipes, then finish it, but I have found
that I really have to push myself to work on it.   I dread to think how long it might take me to do a full sized barn gun....................Don

Don Tripp

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 06:21:43 AM »
I haven't built a gun in 8 years. I've only finished 2 in this century. Now that I have found whatever it was that I lost and I am building again, I only regret the time that I lost.

As long as you enjoy it, continue to build.

Offline bjmac

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
fellows, at age 62 I was bitten by the "bug". (actually two bugs !!) I am currently building a 1770 Haines styled Lancaster. I also just finished the last round of chemo. (hopefully). The rifle that I am attempting to build was GIVEN to me by a member on this forum. I WILL complete it, and have a couple of others on the boards.
I can only say .... if you can build - build! And, if you can't build (but have a hankering to try ) TRY IT.!!!The info, comments and critiques that are here are invaluable (taken with the usual "internet grain of salt")
So, if you can build and post and photograph and harass and conj-ole and bull-sh++ and teach and teach and teach, keep on keepin on!
BJ

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
I'm only 63. I'm a mediocre builder at best but I still like doing it. My guns & archery $#@* are crude compared to all the experts & pros here. My carving looks like a 10 year old did it & the same goes for my engraving. I still struggle with rushing, too. That being said, it's kinda like therapy, some days I need it and some days I don't.

Offline flehto

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »
I'm approaching 81 and just completed a Lancaster for a friend w/ 2 more ready to go. All from blanks. Every morning sees me in the shop for my 2-3 hrs of  "therapy" ....and it's working.....so far, anyways.....Fred
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:15:46 PM by flehto »