Author Topic: Squirrel (Southern) Advice/Dissent  (Read 12132 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Squirrel (Southern) Advice/Dissent
« on: December 21, 2012, 02:43:16 AM »
Although number One is still on the bench (not for too much longer) I'm about to cut a check to place the order for a  30cal, 44" in A wt.

Durs Egg lock probably, and I'll make the rest.  

likely to be stocked in walnut or cherry.

Lean mean, sqwurrel bustin' machine in the style of a po' boy/tn is the object.  I'll have the Greasy Cove book long before i start on this one, but must commit to the bbl soon if I want it before next season.

The bbl can be had up to 48" so i was wondering about the old guns and where they started-i don't expect to have to cut a bbl back (unless it turns out too nose heavy).  

Will i be docked "style points" for bbl too long/too short?  and if so, well put it out there-what are your observations and preferences in this regard to this sort of arm.

any other thoughts and opinions are welcomed.  i won't argue-just listen thanks.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:52:21 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Squirrel (Southern) Advice/Dissent
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:52:17 AM »
my copy of "Grenville Co." and a host of other goodies just arrived.  i'll be out of everyone's hair for a while... ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline deano

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
Just some random thoughts about your squirrel hunting rifle project. A .30 Cal with a 48" barrel will require a long skinny rammer that may be subject to breakage while loading. Unless you are a tall guy you will need a stepladder to load a tiny charge of 3F in a tiny bore in the middle of a woods. Long guns are tough to maneuver in the woods something is always in the way at the wrong time. Cutting back a swamped profile will cost you the balance factor a swamped barrel offers and you are paying for.

I'd suggest a shorter barreled rifle for hunting, though I really do understand the attraction of a long skinny rifle. I have settled on designs that wind up being no higher than my chin with the butt on the ground.

Ken

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
I would think that the maker would swamp it to the finished length. So that's why I'm kicking the length out there.  but of course lopping those production 44's to 43 is a move someone on here says he likes to do, but heck yea lopping a bunch off would funkify the lines of a nicely contoured bbl.

Yes, my 42 is chin-level at full vertical.  Measuring from there a 48 would be right at eye-level, if held fully vertically and that's w/o my boots on.  45-inches is looking good. 

thanks for the input.  took 200 "views" to get one. 
Hold to the Wind

whetrock

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:25 PM »

thanks for the input.  took 200 "views" to get one. 
WP, I have to admit that when I first clicked on your question, it was just to see what sort of clever thing you were going to say next!  ;)

Seriously, though. I’m curious about this:
I would think that the maker would swamp it to the finished length. So that's why I'm kicking the length out there.  but of course lopping those production 44's to 43 is a move someone on here says he likes to do, but heck yea lopping a bunch off would funkify the lines of a nicely contoured bbl.

Did the guy you are referencing explain why? Could he have been unknowingly mimicking the trimmed barrels, without understanding that the old southern smiths were just trimming them as a way of re-crowning to restore accuracy? (Kind of like the woman who always cut off the end of the roast just because her mama did, only to find that the reason her mama did it was because a long roast wouldn’t fit in her short pan?)

Personally, I love the old southern mountain guns with the longer than 42" barrels. If I was going to build another gun to keep, that would definitely be my preference. The longer ones have an eye-catching elegance (I think) that sets them apart. So whether or not the extra length was the norm, I’d still go with it. I like to keep one hanging on the wall, so the “elegance factor” is a part of the design that always weighs in heavily for me. I think that’s true for most of us. That’s why we “oooh and ahhh” over some antique guns, and all but ignore others. I’d venture it’s not because we are comparing mechanical functionality. It’s elegance. So how it looks on the wall is no minor factor.

As for chin height or eye height, I don’t care. I always find myself tipping it at an angle anyway, and most of the time I load while I’m sitting. It just makes it all a lot easier to manage. I’m not doing a F&I “scout” or anything like that, trying to load while I’m hiding from an Indian behind a tree. Far from it. I’m a hillbilly (no act. I’m the real deal) just hunting for a little meat, just using a gun like my grandfather grew up using.

I suspect that one (if not the major) reason most of us don’t build longer guns when building mountain rifles is that cost is an issue. The longer barrel generally costs more. And it can be difficult to get stock wood long enough unless you special order it and pay more. And those factors become important when you are trying to keep your margin of profit as high as possible. It can cost a builder a few hundred bucks more to get that extra 2 inches in there, but a speculation builder (as opposed to custom order builder) may have trouble getting reimbursed for those 2 inches when it comes time to sell. The average buyer won’t understand why a gun that’s 2 inches longer costs so much more money. So, as unfortunate as it is, the cost factor drives designs. But I wouldn’t let it drive the decisions for a gun I meant to build for myself to keep. I’d just save up for a few more months.

On the .30 cal option you are proposing, maybe you have experience with it already and know what you want… But I’ll mention that for me, I find myself regretting previously idealistic decisions when I’m out in the woods trying to push that little pea down the tube. My current squirrel gun is a .32 cal half-stock mountain rifle. But just between you and me (cover your ears, kids), when I just want a couple of bushy tails to sweeten the pot, I generally find myself reaching for the .22 rimfire instead. (Okay, guys, settle down out there. I warned you ahead of time to cover your ears.) I find that I just don’t like fooling with those tiny little pea sized balls out there in the woods. I never seem to drop a .45, but I’ve dropped a dozen .32s. If I were to build another squirrel rifle for myself, I would go with .40.  As I’m sure you know already, with many of the old mountain rifles, the size of the bore didn’t really make that much difference in the barrel profile anyway. Even the small bore guns had comparatively heavy barrels. (That’s just to say that you aren’t going to have to increase your barrel profile just to accommodate the difference between .30 and .40. You are probably looking at the same barrel profile either way. And in the modern era, you probably aren’t as concerned about saving lead as much as your granddaddy was, either. )

Anyway, all that is to offer a little comfort and “input”. I wouldn’t want my middle TN cousin to feel neglected over there on the plateau.  :)

Merry Christmas to you all,
Whetrock

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »
I've used 2 Rice southern classic barrels and was very happy with them. They are 42" and can be ordered up to 50 cal. I'm not sure if they can make a 30 cal. Here is a link... http://www.ricebarrels.com/chart.html

Don Tripp

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
.32 is as small as I'd go but would probably opt for .36 or .40 with that barrel length. I've never even seen a .30 cal muzzle loader barrel. A brass rod would be an option for the ram rod if you had to have a .30 caliber.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
.32 is as small as I'd go but would probably opt for .36 or .40 with that barrel length. I've never even seen a .30 cal muzzle loader barrel. A brass rod would be an option for the ram rod if you had to have a .30 caliber.
I've never seen one either*, but there are more than one 25 cals in use by members here.  some use 17.  I figger 30 is pretty fat compared to those.

Yes brass would work and the care and feeding has inherent challenges, but i wouldn't think it'd be _that_ far removed from the 32, which is popular enough to be offered by nearly all bbl makers.

Charles Burton is making my barrel, thanks for the link.

As it is I'll have a 54, and then the 30 and after that I can split the middle with a 40.  If i go 36 now, then 40 would be redundant methinks.  Just sayin' how i'm thinkin'.  And thinkin' that a three-rifle battery should suit most of my needs.  I can get "crazy" after that.   ::)  

thanks and Merry to U Whetrock.  and yes, the lopper-offer says he likes the balance and shape that he gets.  just mentioned it to say that i understand knocking off a little but that a lot would entail going at the other end and why do any when the maker will make it the length i request?

hey talk is cheap and i can afford that.  8)

*on second thought, i've seen the mountain of bbls at Tippy's and there's bound to be some bitty-bores in there.  (but i got it in my fool head to buy direct from the maker this time)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:34:28 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
You like to think things out and discuss them to no end. Listen to those with some experience and take the advise given above and go a little bigger. Make it a .36 at least and preferably a .40 cal. I've got a .20 cal, a .25 cal. & a .32 cal. They are very nice "southern" guns but I won't even shoot them because of the cleaning situation. They have long barrels which compound the cleaning problems, too. So basically they are gun safe queens. :/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:21:09 PM by Keb »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
You like to think things out and discuss them to no end. Listen to those with some experience and take the advise given above and go a little bigger. Make it a .36 at least and preferably a .40 cal. I've got a .20 cal, a .25 cal. & a .32 cal. They are very nice "southern" guns but I won't even shoot them because of the cleaning situation. They have long barrels which compound the cleaning problems, too. So basically they are gun safe queens. :/
I agree totally! I have owned/shot a 29 cal and currently own a 32 but I much prefer the 36 that I sold a couple of years ago. I also own a 40 which I enjoy shooting but they are extremely hard to sell in this area, can not use them for deer in VA. I sold one several years ago to a man in NJ and he said in NJ you had to use 36 or smaller for squirrels and 45 or larger for deer leaving the 40 for paper punching only.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
We can't shoot squirrels here in the Great White North.  They are fur-bearing animals, and you need a trappers license to harvest them.  They are red squirrels which are not much bigger than your chipmunk.

But we can shoot gophers!  Our Columbia ground squirrels are about the size of your greys and blacks, maybe just a big bigger.  My .40 cal is perfect for them.  I'm going to build myself a .25 Western PA rifle along the style of T. Allison - got my Rayl bbl and walnut from Chris Laubach a while back, right here on the ALR site.  It's 44" long and I think it's going to be fun to play with, but my 'go to' rifle will likely always be my .40 Kuntz.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »
Thanks fer the caliber concerns.  That is a bit contrary to the 8 or so threads i nipped from here and sent to my buddy last night, but it's good to hear some frustration from the ranks. It gives a more complete picture.

As for squirrel rifle rules in TN:  36 and up is Big Game legal and there's no restriction on small game calibers.

Saw those black squirrels in Northern Ohio a few years back...my first thought-man, wait 'til it snows!  It's 90% grays 'round here, which aren't big, but the other 9% are fox squirrels and they can be big as house cats.  The 1% is flying squirrels and they're nocturnal mostly-which is not a good thing when you camp under a colony of 'em.  I've had half a dozen grays within 30 yards (all at once) two or three times this season whilst after deer.  Great comeback they've made from our previous mast failures.  chipmunk=tailless squirrel on crack.

anyhoo back to how i came to choose le petite caliber, from threads like the following and mine own notions of same, but different.

little gun threads:

30 caliber loads:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1845.0

squirrel cals:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1640.0

how big ...tree rats
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18094.0

smallbores challenges:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5943.0

25 caliber rifle:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=699.0

pics of sub 32's:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=16307.0

best small caliber:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2672.0

fun guns:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7765.0

the woods now call
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:18:29 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »
Taylor, you're going to enjoy that .25. I had Mark Wheland build one with that same barrel and a small Siler. It was going to be a barn gun, but got a buttplate--sorry, Don.

My next rifle will be a .40 with a 46" Rice A-weight. Gotta fill the gap I have between .25 and .50. Most fun I have on sitting small game is with a .50 smoothrifle with shot. BTW, .40 is legal for deer in Washington.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline rsells

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
Wade,
I have  been building .29, 30, and .32 cal mountain rifles for folks for the past few years.  I like building these rifles because I can make a slim graceful rifle that I feel good about when I have it finished.  The small bores shoot well and are fun to target shoot and hunt with.  I did have a couple of  issues with the bores smaller than the .32 that I will pass on.  The bores are small and I was having to cup my fingers around the muzzle end of the barrel and hand funnel the powder into the bore when loading.  It was a big issue with me.  I talked to Tip Curtis (615-654-4445) about my complaint, and he is selling a small funnel now that I use to load the smaller bore rifles.  It has taken the loading issue away, but I had to attach a tab and leather strap to the brass funnel to have easy access to it when hunting.  Also, I started furnishing the customer with one of Callahan's early ball molds with the rifle so the customer will not have any issues trailing down the correct size balls for the rifle.  It seems that these two issues are not a problem when I build a .32 or larger bore rifle.  I don't have any reason to have a favorite cal for a squirrel rifle when I look at the .29, .30, and .32 barrel.  I really can't say I can tell a lot of difference between critter damage when killed with any of the three.  I think because of habit and request, that I try to use a .29 cal first and move up to the .30 and then to the .32 depending upon availability.   I have been using 44 inch and 42 inch long barrels depending upon availibility as well.  Good luck with your build.
                                                                   Roger Sells
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:38:32 PM by rsells »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
Hey Roger, thanks for the info/support and heads up.  I'm considering popping over to TIPPYville  (1.5 hours) for a 40 and a lock to squirrel away for #3.  I've made so many funnels from can lids to fill lanterns, that i'll have no problem winding up another.  Wondering in-my-head about a double-ended measure/funnel...story at 11.  ;)

HAVE Dave Byrd's Gunmakers of Buffalo Valley & Greasy Cove now. 

No more questions yo!

yet
Hold to the Wind

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 03:44:05 AM »
They are very nice "southern" guns but I won't even shoot them because of the cleaning situation. They have long barrels which compound the cleaning problems, too. So basically they are gun safe queens. :/

Yer just gettin' lazy in yer old age Joe! :o
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:46:15 AM by pathfinder »
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »
I reckon I am, Ted. They're hard to load, hard to clean & I can't see good enough to hit anything with em teeny tiny little balls. I can always load up a big caliber gun with a bunch of them little things if I gotta hit something :/

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
Interested in getting rid of any of those useless pieces of junk that aren't worth the cost of parts? Had a hankerin' for a tiny gun since I shot against one. Lack of recoil makes my torn and shredded rotator cuff's smile!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
Interested in getting rid of any of those useless pieces of junk that aren't worth the cost of parts? Had a hankerin' for a tiny gun since I shot against one. Lack of recoil makes my torn and shredded rotator cuff's smile!
hey, you bustin' a move here?  ;D

get some!* ;)

i'm with you PF, it's a struggle i want the challenge of overcoming on my own terms. i wish every shooter could enjoy every variety of shooting, but there are going to be limits.  and much like a moth and a screen door, i usually don't recognize my limits without bouncing off them for a while.

*if you need help running the spiders and daubers out of any those petite-bores, i'll volunteer my services.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:31:43 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »
Scratch the Egg(for this one), putting a Manton on the bitty bore...but have an Egg for my 40 which i'll likely start when i get to the wood finishing stages of my 54-assuming the 30 bbl order hasn't been filled at that time.

Then i'm going to try the Late Ketland - on these other bbls i've collected. 
Hold to the Wind

greybeard

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »
Late Ketland!!!   Great lock.  bob

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
Missplaced my "Greasy Cove" book for 2 week's and tore both my house and my sisters,who I visited,looking for it! I was going nut's! I finally found it in my wifes trunk,just before I was mailing off a check for TWO copies! AWSOME book!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 11:01:52 PM »
I may be related to the Howell in there, it is my Mom's family name.  I'll work in the genealogy a bit more when i gets the wood and iron better sorted. 

I know a whole family of Beans, but they don't know nothing about East TN or Rifles, BUT they do know humor--have a brown dog named "Pinto".
Hold to the Wind

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 03:52:47 AM »
It is my experience that 32 caliber bores vary in bore diameter from barrel maker to barrel maker. This changes your mold needs, patch and  jag needs and rod and tip requirements differ some also.

My old Douglas XX bore is .321,  A Rice round groove is is .319 bore, another maker's is a .316 bore. Also inquire as to twist. Slower twists seem to accomodate more charge, thus more velocity with accuracy than the faster twist. Perhaps 25s and 30s are this way too. I think a faster twist fouls quicker also.

Common lead buckshot of a suitable size is very hard to find. Most newer buckshot is alloyed harder than lead for those  shotshell magnum loads. So shooting is mostly a moulding proposition as bought round ball is getting expensive, and it you shoot much a bag mould is not the way to go. 

Lon

Offline Captchee

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »
As Pathfinder can tell you , I just finished up a high end 36 cal for a lady .
Black walnut stock and all
 It also carries a D.E lock .
IMO it fit’s the small  thin rifle surprisingly well  .
As to the barrel .
  One of the issues I had  to meet was that the rifle had to be long and light . The woman has  health issues .
After looking through some books  she decided she like  the looks of a J Baum  with  the O to R barrel  but wanted it in 36 cal .and a 44 inch barrel .
 Once I had the rifle blocked out .  And started shaping the stock  to the Baum rifle . Things started changing  . Now that its finished , its nothing like a Baum .
 But its what she wants  . Its very thin and light

when it comes to the smaller bores , its seems to me that you eather like or hate them . the camps are on both sides with oppenions
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:04:17 PM by Captchee »