Author Topic: Lock lubrication  (Read 32385 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Lock lubrication
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:29:55 PM »
I'm finally getting around to a test of lock lubricants.  We often discuss a lubes ability to prevent rust.  For this test I'm interested only the ability to prevent friction.  I want to see if there is a measurable difference in lock speed with different lubricants.  I suspect that there are numerous favorites.  I'll probably select a group of 5 or 6 to time.  I have  some gut predictions but, I hope to supply numbers. 

There are many problems with variables in this attempt.  However, there is always something to learn, even if it is unexpected.  I'd like to try it and see what happens.  Feel free to suggest lubes you like, keeping in mind that preventing friction is our only concern in this test.

Regards.
Pletch

Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Joey R

Re: Lock lubrication
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »
Well,I'll start it off with one I use. Accralube from Jim Chambers.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »
Will you be completly cleaning the locks after each lube test? I assume you would and what lock/locks will you be using?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
The lock in question is a Siler that I've used for testing since the '80s.  It was recently rebuilt by Jim. The plan is to clean the lock dry of lube with acetone or some such solvent. While dry of lube it will be timed as a control.  The "dry" test will be limited in numbers for obvious reasons. 

Before each new lube test, the lock will be cleaned, finishing with a solvent.  Then the lock will be lubed for the next test.

Regards,
Pletch   
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
Pletch, try this one, it's not suppose to be temperature sensitive. Bob

http://www.gamaliel.com/pwaccessories/ponsness-warren-stos-lubricant-2-oz-jar.asp

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:49:16 PM »
Stick with things folks are likely to use, stuff like Ballistol, 3-in-1, etc.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:03:36 PM »
Teflon in spray form..

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »
Something with a good bit of moly in it would be nice to test, but it might mess up your tests.  I use the (out of production) Beeman version of this:
  http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Moly_Metal_to_Metal_Paste_1_oz/3498
I put it on lightly when assembling a lock and about every year afterwards, with a light oil for each cleaning in between.  The moly adheres to the metal for a long time.

Two caveats.  1) Not everything that says "moly" has enough to do any good.  2) If it does, the moly is extremely difficult to remove completely :)!

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:30:03 AM »
Super lube by Permatex, is what I use. It comes in a tube, and is clear. It is very slick, and as to its toxicity, its food grade.

Hungry Horse

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 12:32:15 AM »
I appreciate your desire to isolate just the lubricating quality but I suspect the reality is that most shooters will probably use the same oil or grease on the entire lock. (Unlike some modern handguns that need a high pressure lube on the slide.) I have always believed that the camming surface on the tumbler would probably benefit from one of those but really doubt that any but the most intense competitive target shooter would take the time and effort.

All of that said, I would recommend including those general purpose rust preventative oils actually being used. My personal choice is a CLP sold under the trade name of BreakFree. I believe the military adopted it as a multi-purpose cleaner, lub, and preservative. When I clean the lock with hot water and it looks totally free of fowling I dry it and then hose it down with Break Free --- more fowling always washes off--- After a few minutes I dry it and leave it in all the pivot and sliding surfaces.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 12:43:04 AM »
I use bear oil, refined by myself.  It works extremely well :D

Offline bgf

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 01:43:18 AM »

And to state the obvious, is anything really slicker than owl's grease :) ?

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 01:51:37 AM »
AMSOIL spray lube.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Old Bob

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 02:37:22 AM »
3 In 1 Sewing Machine Oil.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 02:51:29 AM »
i've recently started using tallow, deer grease ;D, on everything-mostly to prevent rust on my straight razors and other high-carbon cutting tools. It's quite slick too, but excess might cause a problem in the sub-zero conditions up yonderville.

i often use Naphtha* for fine internals were clean is as important as a lubed.  Old gunsmith advised this years ago.  Said that enough residual lubrication is left after the solvent evaporates.  Would like to see if it's measurable.  It's certainly clean and non-dust-attracting.

*most often in the form of cigarette lighter fluid (ala wick lighters), or camp stove/lantern fuel.  used to be called "white gas", but is _not_ gasoline.

Seafoam Deep Creep gets used a lot 'round my shop.

Wurth 2000 (Wurth HHS-K the EPA complaint name for HHS 2000) is a supreme penetrating lubricant.  I use this sparingly but would love to see it tested. You might borrow a can from a friendly high-end mechanic, as it's kinda pricey.  It sprays out watery thin for penetration, then sets up to a higher viscosity.  

one more vote for the legendary owl snot too.    :D :D :D

Hey, once you knock off the first set of these experiments--and have a winner, then we can (you can-thanks Larry!) assemble another group to try to dethrone the champion.  I have a whole 'nuther sort of lubes to suggest if we get to a second or third round.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:58:31 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 03:18:38 AM »
Thank you all. I probably will have more lubes mentioned than I can test.  The choices may need to be samples that are representative of a lube classes.  I agree with Gary than most shooters use a single lube for all lock parts.  Gary's idea about a high pressure lube on sliding surfaces was mentioned to me by Jim Chambers.  He is experimenting with a two part lube system using a liquid on rotating parts and a high pressure lube for the tumbler and frizzen contact with the spring.  Jim gave me a sample of these lubes to time.  The idea is that the sliding surfaces need a lube that isn't wiped off.

I didn't mean to rule out lubes used for rust prevention, but will only try to use lock speed to compare friction or lack of it.

The problem with this test will likely be variables that flint and flint edge wear.  Flint issues may be a larger variable than lubes.  Frankly I expect to see a difference between lubed and unlubed, but maybe differences between lubes will be hard to see. We won't know until se try.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline duca

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:16 AM »
How about OX-YOKE Originals Best Dam Gun Oil..........
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 03:55:37 AM »
our very own flintlock mythbuster!  thanks again for all your timing work Mr. Pletcher.

Could you substitute something in place of a flint in order to reduce that variable?  We're looking at speed not spark right?

Hold to the Wind

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 04:01:00 AM »
I sometimes use a choke tube lube on main spring bearing points and frizzen cam. Usually I use Chambers Accra lube. I tend to like a thin oil thick oils gum up things too much.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:09 AM »
our very own flintlock mythbuster!  thanks again for all your timing work Mr. Pletcher.

Could you substitute something in place of a flint in order to reduce that variable?  We're looking at speed not spark right?

Wade,
At Friendship in Sept, Jim and I  talked about that.  I have infrared gates that will allow a measure of mechanical time only. they are tricky to adjust properly, and I was afraid to mention the possibility.  If the preparation can be done reliably, I'd use them.  If not I'd resort to flints and measure ignition.  This is an old system.  I used it for Vol. 4 of Journal of Historic Armsmaking Journal.  With  some luck I may get it all together.

Steve Chapman, ALR member, lives near me and sometimes is available to help.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 05:28:13 AM »
I have used LSA ( Lubricant, Small Arms) on my locks until I realized I was getting low with no resource for replacement in sight. I now just use Rig grease on the pressure points and CLP on the rest.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

jamesthomas

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 05:34:32 AM »

I use bear oil also, just a little apllied with a Q-Tip. About every 3rd or fourth range trip. Stripped with 91% alcohol first. Works as good as anything else. 3an1 works good also.

Vomitus

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 07:47:53 AM »
  Laugh all you want. I like Amsoil synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil used sparingly.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:48 AM »
  Laugh all you want. I like Amsoil synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil used sparingly.
I'm not laughing at all, both mine and my parents vehicles are bumper to bumper Amsoil lubricants.  The only reason I switched Birchwood-Casey Barricade on my guns instead of their MP spray is because I can get it in the 4 ounce bottle and apply it by the drop.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
I brought my testing set-up into the basement .  My garage is heated but I'd rather not run temps up and down because of some old cars.  Will if I have to.  I will be testing infrared gates and begining to figure out the methods. 

I have to thank an ALR guy for a real stroke of luck.  He offered me a sample of whale oil to include in the tests. That gives us a chance to include what I expect is the best of colonial lubes available. 

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com