Author Topic: William Zollman Information  (Read 3561 times)

ZollmanAncestor

William Zollman Information
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
I am a direct descendant of the gunsmith William Zollman. I just recently found out his occupation completely by chance. Since then I have been fascinated with the idea and have been trying to find any information about the guns he made that I can. Being a history major has made this all the better. I have tried to find information online but it seems lacking. I got a copy of the Rockbridge Artisan book but there was not a lot there either. When I find pictures of the rifles they usually say it may be a Zollman but nothing sure. I have read and been told things like his rifles were used by Texas Rangers like William 'Bigfoot' Wallace and that he was friends with Stonewall Jackson who used his weapons.

Basically I am looking for any information about William Zollman as a gunsmith. What weapons did he make? What are his signature designs? Was he gifted especially compared to others at that time? How many weapons is estimated that he made? How many still exist? What is their value? And of course, please any pictures of honest verified Zollman rifles would be wonderful.

Any information no matter how slight would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for your time and response.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: William Zollman Information
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:55:41 PM by Avlrc »

ZollmanAncestor

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:51:24 PM »
Thank you for your response. I did do a site search and have read any post with a Zollman mention. I am a just so hungry for any information that anyone knows. I know very little so far about antique guns but I am trying to learn the terms. I do not mean to be a bother in a forum that does not usually concern itself with family history. I just would like to know anything about his gunsmithing.

Thanks again.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »
ZollmanAncestor,
 Ah, but this forum DOES indeed concern itself with genealogical info...there are significant researchers here who have made substantial contributions to family history other than their own.  For the love of the game, so to speak ;D
 Good luck with your search, wish I could be of help...but I am sure someone here will be.
                                         Shreck

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 02:28:49 AM »
Here is what Whisker has on him in "Virginia Gunsmiths & Allied Professions"

William Zollman 1785-1834, Gunsmith 1810-1834, Rockbridge County. Zollman was born about 1785 in Locust Bottom, Rockbridge County, but moved to the Fork of the James River near Natural Bridge. In 1808 he Married Ann Ripley of Fincastle. Soon after that he moved to Zollmans Mill, Rockbridge County.Died on his farm August 9 1834. His son Henry , one of eleven children, inherited his gunshop. Henry operated it until 1896.
(Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. G. W. Diehl, Zollmans & Their Kin,Withrow Scrapbook,Vol II
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:55:27 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 02:47:50 AM »
If you are interested in understanding  the "Virginia Rifle", you may find this article of interest. From flintriflesmith.com

http://flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/WebArticles/VirginiaRifle.htm